The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 19, 2020, 06:35 PM   #1
Shadow9mm

gen 5 g19 not locking open

So I'm in the initial stages of trying to diagnose the issue, I suspect it under powered ammo. Its a new G19 Gen 5. It has maybe 250-350rnds through it. The last 2 times I was out I had multiple issue with the slide failing to lock back on empty. I tried 2 different mags same issue, both were brand new mags and the springs feel plenty stiff. The gun would lock open without issue if i racked the slide on an empty mag. I prefer to shoot 115g federal. I don't remember having any issued with federal 115 or 147g the first time or 2 I took it out. The last 2 times I shot freedom munition reman 115g, failure to lock open was the rule, not the exception. I made sure i had a good grip and did not limp wrist. I also made sure i had a good grip and had fingers away from the slide stop lever.

I know I read about the 4th gen being designed for hot 124g and having issues with standard 115g due to the recoil spring but I understood this was adressed. is this an issue with the gen 5 guns?

were there any differences going to gen 5 mags other than the orange follower and lipped base plate? any reports of issues with the new mags?

Next range outing I plan to shoot several different brands and chrono them all to see if i can pin it on a ammo issue, or if it is a gun issue. I also plan to test 6 different mags.
Old June 19, 2020, 07:34 PM   #2
AK103K

Glocks are known for liking warmer ammo.

The first Glock I got back in the 80's caused me to up the loads I was using for my other 9mm's at the time (High Power, P38, HK P7). Once I did that, they have been fine, and the other guns are fine as well.

I use 124 grain bullets loaded towards the upper end of the load data.

I have a couple of different Gen 5's, as well as Gen 2-4's, and they all work fine with the same ammo.
Old June 20, 2020, 06:09 AM   #3
jman841

I would reach out to Glock. I have a Gen 4 Glock 19 and have shot a ton of freedom munitions reman ammo without any issues. Although, I have gone through 3 different recoil springs and 2 different extractors since purchasing it in early 2012. Mine was one of the original versions that was plagued with issues.
Old June 22, 2020, 06:41 PM   #4
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman841 View Post
I would reach out to Glock. I have a Gen 4 Glock 19 and have shot a ton of freedom munitions reman ammo without any issues. Although, I have gone through 3 different recoil springs and 2 different extractors since purchasing it in early 2012. Mine was one of the original versions that was plagued with issues.
I don't want to take up their time with something i might be able to sort out in a range session.
Old June 22, 2020, 09:00 PM   #5
Woolecox

Are you riding the slide release with you thumb?
Old June 22, 2020, 10:26 PM   #6
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolecox View Post
Are you riding the slide release with you thumb?
nope, made sure of that once i started having issues
Old June 26, 2020, 07:03 PM   #7
Shadow9mm

Update, went to the range. Tested 5 different glock magazines, tested 2 different ammunition brands both of which work fine in 2 other guns. Out of 40 tests, it only locked open 3 times. No limp wristing, no finger on the slide stop. Contacted Glock, hopefully they can help me out.

Last edited by Shadow9mm; June 26, 2020 at 08:03 PM.
Old July 2, 2020, 05:31 PM   #8
Shadow9mm

Last update. I am feeling like an idiot. I did have my thumb on the slide stop. I never had an issue before but I have been modifying my grip. I though I made sure I had my thumb off when testing the last 3 times, but apparently I did not. I shot today and checked my grip and made sure i was off of it and it locked open every time. All i can chalk it up to is my grip being wrong the last 3 times or so I went shooting. I could have sworn i was no where near it and I remember checking too. Moral of the story is make sure you check every thing and isolate each test.
Old July 2, 2020, 06:02 PM   #9
greentick

Man... sucks for you, *I* have never felt like an idiot (LOL)

Glad you got it figured out
Old July 2, 2020, 06:05 PM   #10
TunnelRat

Yeah in the future a good way to test this is to shoot it one handed. If it doesn't do it one handed, chances are it's you. That said, kudos for owning the mistake.
Maintain situational awareness
Old July 2, 2020, 09:53 PM   #11
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
Yeah in the future a good way to test this is to shoot it one handed. If it doesn't do it one handed, chances are it's you. That said, kudos for owning the mistake.
gotta own em and learn from them. hopefully somone else can learn from my mistakes
Old July 3, 2020, 07:14 AM   #12
jman841

Same thing happened to me yesterday with a Sig P365. Rented one to test it out. Slide was not locking open and I thought it was an issue with the mags or something. Then looked at my grip and my thumb was resting right on the slide release.

If I end up buying one, I will def have to adjust my grip when shooting it.
Old July 3, 2020, 09:14 AM   #13
Snuffy308

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
Yep. This.