The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old April 1, 2002, 07:48 AM   #1
D Joyce

S&W New Model 1 1/2

I have my Great Grandfather's S&W New Model 1 1/2 pistol. The action is like new but the last time it was fired (1932) by my father, he said it shaved lead. I can see why as the barell hinge is worn to the point the barell isn't held in alignment with the cylender.

S&W can't repair the gun but I was told of a gunsmith, in NC, that might be able to do the job. I contacted the smithy once, by email, and have had several computer events that destroyed the information.

Does anyone know how to contact a good gunsmith that won't give me a ration of crap, connected to the Feds, that can fix this gun. It is a perfect pocket pistol and ammo is starting to become available for it again.
Old April 2, 2002, 12:32 AM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Well, I won't give you a load of anything, and I am not connected to the Feds(??) but I will ask which 1 1/2 you have. If you are talking about the old tip-up in .32 rimfire, that much wear on the hinge indicates the gun is simply worn out and probably can't be repaired as the hinge is very small and delicate and the old iron frames can't be welded very well.

If you are talking about the top break spur trigger model, worn top latches can be peened or shimmed, but the fix will probably not hold for long. Unless in very good condition, neither gun would be worth (IMHO) spending money on. Neither runs much over $150 in average condition (and yours sounds like it is below average).

I suggest retiring the old timer to an honorable place on the wall, and getting a newer and better carry gun. Frankly, neither .32 is worth much as a defense load.

Jim
Old April 4, 2002, 06:38 AM   #3
D Joyce

Sorry about that. It is the tip up .32 rimfire. It isn't worn out by a long shot. I suspect it was used by Grandpa to teach the kids and they were a little rough on it.

I just hate to have a dust collector. It doesn't make any difference what it is, if it needs repair, I want it fixed.

My normal carry piece is a Glock 21 but this little gun would be a good back up as well as a conversation piece.