The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 28, 2020, 07:56 AM   #1
simonrichter

B&T GHM9

does anybody here own this gun, any first hand experience? (It's on my shortlist for a replacement formy AR15-style subcarbine).

Btw, what is the correct terminology for this class of weapons that would be considered submachine guns or PDWs if they were full auto-capable? Pistol caliber sub-carbine? I know that these are often only classified simply as "pistols" (at least that's the case here in Austria), but thismakrs no sense whatsoever in terms of distinguishing between real pistols and these "semi-auto-SMGs"...
Old June 28, 2020, 11:36 AM   #2
GarandTd

I had to look it up to see what it was. Depending on barrel length and stock configuration, in the states, it would be a PCC(pistol caliber carbine) or pistol. Not sure what full auto or select fire would do to change the classification, though, I imagine it would.
Old June 28, 2020, 11:59 AM   #3
smee78

If they were full auto capable they could be a machine pistol or a smg. They look cool though.
Old June 28, 2020, 09:20 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

There are two general names/classifications of firearms. One is the way the shooting community refers to them, and the other is the legal definition given by the government.

For some guns, these are the same. For others. they can be different.

In the US, a gun that meets the legal definition of a rifle, and is chambered for a pistol caliber cartridge (such as 9mm Luger) is legally a rifle, but is usually referred to as a Pistol Caliber Carbine.

A full automatic firearm is, under US law, a machine gun. No other design features matter. It could be a tripod mounted belt fed gun, or a select fire assault rifle, or a submachine gun like the Tommygun. All are equally "machine guns" under US law.
Old June 29, 2020, 04:23 AM   #5
simonrichter

interesting... Still, when I think of a carbine, I picture something more of a short rifle with at least a 10" barrel rather than a semi-auto SMG... So I guess the best description for the gun in question would be "pistol caliber sub-carbine"
Old June 29, 2020, 02:10 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
So I guess the best description for the gun in question would be "pistol caliber sub-carbine"
No, that would be incorrect. The maker describes it as a 9x19mm carbine.

Thompson coined the term "submachine gun" to emphasize that his gun wasn't a belt fed "full" machine gun firing rifle ammo. It was on a level below that, firing pistol ammo, it was a "sub"machine gun.

The term "sub" is not applied to semi autos. They aren't "sub" anything. They are semi auto rifles, which may (and usually are) called carbines.
Old June 29, 2020, 09:16 PM   #7
TBM900

The MP5 is widely considered to be the gold standard of the sub-gun world
I would largely agree and own a few myself

The GHM9 is without a doubt 99% of what the MP5 is
In fact the the APC version actually exceeds the MP5 by a tiny margin

Fire your AR variant sub, then pick ups GHM9 and fire it
You'll want to fling your AR into the nearest trashcan while saying "Why bother"

The build quality exceeds that of the MP5 by a wide margin
The shoot-ability is shoulder to shoulder
All in a package that easier to maintain, service, mod, etc

Ferris said it best...

Two of the three I own