The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 22, 2014, 08:09 PM   #1
Bella

Off Limit Game

I am a hunter and I ask that this thread doesn't become a hunter bashing hunter thread. We get enough of that from the PETA crowd.

My favorite type of hunting is small game and upland game. I enjoy grabbing my shotgun and my dog and head out to field or desert.

I have hunted big.game on occasion. In fact I hope to bag a pronghorn if I ever draw.a tag.

I have tried waterfowl hunting, but its not my cup of tea. First of all I don't like the taste of duck or goose flesh. Secondly I find ideal duck hunting weather to be more ideal for sleeping in.

Now I won't hunt for coyotes or wolves. They are too dog like. I realize they are not domestic dogs. I am also aware that in are causing problems in certain parts of the country. If you hunt them I have no problem with it, you even get my blessing for helping control a nuisance animal. Now if any sort of canine were to attack me or my dog, I won't hesitate one second to shoot.

Are there any game.animals, that for.whatever reason, you could never shoot?
Old October 22, 2014, 08:57 PM   #2
hartcreek

For me it is a cat. My spirit guide is feline so cougar, lynx and bobcats are kindred.
Old October 22, 2014, 09:23 PM   #3
TXAZ

Nope.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old October 22, 2014, 09:27 PM   #4
jason75979

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartcreek View Post
For me it is a cat. My spirit guide is feline so cougar, lynx and bobcats are kindred.
I'll have some of what you're partaking in.....please.
Old October 22, 2014, 10:07 PM   #5
upstate81

Hahahahaha thats funny^^^^^^
Old October 23, 2014, 12:06 AM   #6
FrankenMauser

Most are protected anyway, but I won't kill song birds, wood peckers, or birds of prey. (Scavengers like crows and magpies are fair game, if they're a nuisance.)

I get extremely irritated when I see people do it, or come across evidence of such.

There are three categories for me:
1. Food.
2. Nuisance animals.
3. Animals you leave alone.

If I will eat it, it's food and I'll kill it. (Even Cougar, Bobcat, and Bear are in this category. If I tag one, I'm going to eat what I can.)
If it's a nuisance (and legal), I'll kill it. (Invasive species like Eurasian Collared Doves are in this category. They are perfectly edible, but I just let them rot.)
If it doesn't fall into one of the above categories, I leave it alone.
Old October 23, 2014, 12:58 AM   #7
Geezerbiker

I agree 100% with FrankenMauser. Basically if it's food or a pest, I have no problem shooting them.

The real problem is they all seem to like my yard and I'm just enough inside the city line where shooting is a no no. So far a few of my neighbors have shot pests with .22 LR and no one has said anything but I've yet to try it...

Tony
Old October 23, 2014, 01:02 AM   #8
HiBC

First,this is about my own preference,no intent to impose on anyone else.

Critters that might be very old.Sturgeon and snapping turtles come to mind.

I know,you don't shoot those,but they come to mind.
Old October 23, 2014, 01:21 AM   #9
Geezerbiker

I had some sturgeon once, I won't again so you won't find me fishing for them. That's off topic here anyway...

No snappers here but from what I've heard they're a lot of trouble for a little meat. I'd pass unless one was a pest on my land.

I suppose it's a matter of taste. Anyway so long as it's not a protected critter, it's fair game...

Tony
Old October 23, 2014, 01:32 AM   #10
Pathfinder45

I have made a living climbing trees for well over 30 years. To me, tree squirrels are kindred spirits. For me to eat one would have to be a matter of survival. Even then I would feel like it was cannibalism. Coyotes have been my allies in the past. Once in eastern Kansas my crop of cantalopes was being devastated by rabbits; I couldn't kill enough of them to make a difference. Just when it looked hopeless, an itinerant band of coyotes moved in and ended the problem within a week or two at most. If coyotes were raiding the chickens, I could see doing something about it. Build a better hen house first. Those song-dogs did me a big favor and I haven't forgotten it.
Old October 23, 2014, 07:00 AM   #11
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I'd have to be hard hearted to say No & soft headed to say Yes. Reality is: Depends on how twitchy my trigger finger is at that very moment.
Old October 23, 2014, 07:40 AM   #12
Doyle

Like Hartcreek, I have no desire to ever kill a mountain lion. Bobcats are on the table because of the damage they can do to a turkey population. I don't think I'd be into hunting much of the traditional African "big game" but the medium sized game would be a hoot (not that I could ever afford such a trip).

I guess about the only thing I would absolutely refuse to hunt in the US is the sandhill crane. I just don't see the sport in that. There are only a few places in the US where they are hunted anyway.
Old October 23, 2014, 08:32 AM   #13
MarkCO

Of course raptors are not game animals, but even if they were, could not shoot them. I like songbirds too and would not shoot them either, but since cats take them, feral cats are fair game. In fact in Colorado at one point, DOW officers were encouraging hunters to shoot feral cats if seen while hunting. House cats are about equivalent to prairie dogs to me.

I stopped duck hunting since they taste like pond scum around here, but they are not "off-limits" to me. I guess if they are legal to take, I can't see any game animal truly being "off limits" under the right conditions, even though there are several I choose not to hunt.
Old October 23, 2014, 09:14 AM   #14
Deerhunter

If it is legal to shoot it I will hunt and shoot it. Doesn't much matter to me. Ducks, geese, rabbits, squirrels, deer, wild pigs and other game all go to the table.

fox, raccoon, yotes, crows, groundhogs and the other stuff like that will be hunted when the opportunity arises. Need to control the population of the nuisance critters too.

I have even hunted a farm where the owner told my buddy and I to shoot every cat we saw. People dumping them on his property and they were causing issues around his barn/cows.
Old October 23, 2014, 09:59 AM   #15
Pahoo

No Sir !!!

Now then, you did say "game" animals and even though I don't shoot some, I would not hesitate to shoot them, in the future, for whatever reason. Some I shoot to eat and others I shoot as a conservation effort. Given all that, I don't consider a cat to be a game animal and they are safe, in my back yard. In the field, is a different situation. That is when I go into my shoot, shovel and shut-up mode. ....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; October 23, 2014 at 06:39 PM.
Old October 23, 2014, 10:40 AM   #16
buck460XVR

Quote:
I don't consider a cat to be a game animal and they safe, in my back yard. In the field, is a different situation. That is when I go into my shoot, shovel and shut-up mode. ....

Feral cats are fair game around here and legal to shoot. No SSS needed. If it were illegal, I would abstain, like any other hunting violation and would suggest others do the same. While I have no problem hunting any game animal where legal within it's seasons, there are many I just don't prefer to hunt. I used to hunt geese in the fields across the road for years and always found some way to use the meat. Just ain't worth the effort anymore, especially when there's other tastier options out there. Another local hunter that hunts geese got busted for giving his geese away to folks that do like to eat them. Almost got the folks he gave the geese to busted also. Apparently, possessing a wild goose carcass without a license or the proper stamps is a Federal offense. So is shooting more than your possession limit, and if the folks you gave the geese to still have them in their freezer, they still count against your possession limit.

Most of what I don't hunt is like geese. Since I don't enjoy eating them, I have given up hunting them for other quarry. Just a matter of priorities and time to hunt. Predators and furbearers that are hunted for reasons other than eating are exceptions.
Old October 23, 2014, 11:10 AM   #17
Panfisher

If its a game animal and legal then I don't have any qualms about killing it in general. However many a game animal has "escaped" me because I simply didn't feel like killing it. Maybe I was just simply enjoying the hunt/day and didn't want to clean a squirrell or deer or whatever. Maybe I knew I had enough already harvested etc. I don't know of any spirit guides or kindred spirits that I have so that doesn't enter into my thinking at all.
Old October 23, 2014, 11:11 AM   #18
jimbob86

Quote:
Are there any game animals, that for whatever reason, you could never shoot?
Never?

"Game Animals"?

None. If it's edible, convenient, and legal to hunt ....... it's apt to become lunch.

Animals in general? If it's a nuisance, including being in competition with me for a resource (my garden, for instance) then it's WAR, and I'll kill it, or it's young, at every opportunity ........

Beneficial animals (bluebirds, for example) are encouraged to take up residence (nest boxes) ....
Old October 23, 2014, 12:05 PM   #19
Bella

Some of you mention that you wouldn't shoot birds of prey even if it was legal. I wouldn't either. It reminds me of an interesting interaction I had with an hawk a couple of years ago.

My dog and I were quail hunting on a ranch In one area there were piles of brush strewn all over the place. We were going from pile to pile trying to flush quail out. Some brush piles had birds and some didn't.

I was heading towards one pile and my dog was running towards it. Next thing I see is a hawk swoop down towards my dog. It then was following my dog. It was flying just a few feet above her. I had no idea what the hawks intentions were. While I said I wouldn't shoot a hawk, if it attacked my dog all bets were off.

The hawk wasn't interested in attacking my dog, it was interested in attacking quail. It landed on the brush pile that my dog was heading towards. Some quail did flush out and the hawk.went right after them. Apparently it decided to use my hunting dog to secure its breakfast.

That was cool!
Old October 23, 2014, 12:33 PM   #20
Blindstitch

Young/small animals. I've seen countless deer shot where a person had two antlerless deer tags so they would shoot a doe and this seasons fawn.

Beyond that I'm fine with all legal animals. Although yesterday I went to the public hunting grounds to scare up some pheasants and there was a pile of 3 squirrels left in the parking lot. Someone needs to open up a season on those type of people. Along the same lines I have also found piles of carp, gar, dogfish and other species. These people give sportsmen a bad name.
Old October 23, 2014, 02:38 PM   #21
Husqvarna

I won't hunt wolves or any other dog relative

and wolves are a big issue now in Sweden and I do support the legal hunt of them but don't want to do it myself, some might say it is hypocritical but I don't care, and in a self defense or in defense of my dogs I would of course

I love bears to but I hunt them

not that it is realistic but I won't hunt elephant or whales either, too much consciousness IMO

and not chips, gorillas and orangutangs either, now a baboon i'd hunt they look like *******s

big cats I'd love to hunt, not the endangered ones naturally
Old October 23, 2014, 02:45 PM   #22
jimbob86

Quote:
Young/small animals. I've seen countless deer shot where a person had two antlerless deer tags so they would shoot a doe and this seasons fawn.
I see no problem with this: a lone fawn is coyote food in a short while, anyway. Better that someone eat it than the coyotes .....

The game department issued the antlerless tags because they wanted the population reduced: if they did not, they would not issue the tags.
Old October 23, 2014, 03:38 PM   #23
AllenJ

Any game animal that I feel a threatened by I'd do what is necessary to protect myself or my family, so I can't say "never". I'd prefer never to have to kill bears though, I just love watching them when the opportunity presents itself. I see them most years while deer hunting and while tags are over the counter for the area I hunt I just don't feel the need to hunt them. Friends who do hunt them hate me when I tell the stories of seeing them too!
Old October 23, 2014, 03:49 PM   #24
Vt.birdhunter

Red Fox are off limits for me....too damn pretty and not delicious enough

Besides, wife and kids would kill me. Our favorite walk passes several dens; kids love "to go look for the fox".

Some things are better enjoyed in the woods then on the wall of your den.
Old October 23, 2014, 05:25 PM   #25
Gunplummer

Probably porcupines. I know they are destructive, but they are slow and dumb and just do not know any better. I have had them chew on boots left on the porch, axe handles, canoe paddles and just about anything that you sweated on around camp.