The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 13, 2014, 02:45 PM   #1
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Manufactured Bench Rest Shooting Bag

Here's the deal. I enjoy some bench rest shooting occasionally. Just to get out and get some fresh air during the winter is always good. In the past I've bought a caldwell adjustable rest. Basicly all it does is lift the rifles stock to line of sight. Well gents I got tired of its slipping around on a poured cement shooting bench at my gun club. Tried using house carpet under its support legs and still suffered with its ability to slid around. So I thought having a Caldwell Tack Driver Bag would be excellent. Wrong!! Bought one filled from the factory. Its just overly stiff as to the slightest movement on my rifles stock can create a terrible jump in the rifles grouping. But I did take notice of a fellow members bench rest bag.

One that was loaned to me to site in a center fire rifle after its owner noticing my displeasure with my Caldwell Tackdriver one afternoon. It was a rather big typical looking shooting camo cloth double eared bag. Near double the size of my Tackdriver Bag. Floppy kinda of bag that did something my Caldwell couldn't. It would co-laps a little inwards and encompassed the rifles entire forward forearm of stock once the rifle was place in the bags grip. My rifle was indeed held rock steady except for the small amount of movement that the bag allowed its shooter to get on target. I looked at that bags front sides and bottom for a manufactures tag. Couldn't find one. Asked its owner how he came to owning. He bought it use at gun show. Certainly not homemade. One feature I took notice I haven't seen since then on any other's bench rest bags. Its upper ears had a steel rod running the full length along the outer edge of the bags upper ears.. Which purposely tipped inwards to surround the rifle profile creating a pincer type of behavior.

Anyone have a answer to who's the manufacture of that shooter's Bench Rest Bag?
Old February 16, 2014, 11:10 AM   #2
redrick

It might be the Bulls Bag . The top cradle grips the rifle when you pull out one of the bottom feet , but it doesn't have any medal in it that I know of .

I have the 15" Bench model and the Pro model . I use the Bench model the most and really like it . I recently shot a .541 at 50 yards with my 10/22 and Weaver 3-9x32 scope .

You can get 15% off if you buy from them directly . I bought mine unfilled . Also really nice people to deal with .
Old February 16, 2014, 11:00 PM   #3
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I was at first thinking Bulls Bag or Dog Gone Good Bag also. But the metal rods thing have me stumped. The bag itself was kind of soft and mushy prior to a rifles placement between its upper ears. But once the rifle settled into it. It became a very stationary base to shot off of. About the only part of my rifle that stuck out above the ears was its scope. I'll have to check into your suggestion redrick (Bench model/ Bulls Bag) 15% is indeed a good savings. Thanks for the comment> much appreciated.
Old February 18, 2014, 09:34 PM   #4
rdavidsonjr

Uncle buds bull bag at Natchez several options 40.00-70.00
Old February 18, 2014, 09:37 PM   #5
rdavidsonjr

There are other brands. Search shooting rest at Natchez and see selection.
Old February 20, 2014, 10:59 AM   #6
Clark

The guy that makes the Varmint Safari videos says that he uses the big Dog-gone-Good V bag for shooting at varmints, but a bench rest set up at the range.

I used to do that too.

Now I shoot with a bi-pod in front and a small rear bag called a Holland bag by dog-gone-good.
I shoot that way from the bench at the urban range.
I shoot that way from the shooting mat.
I shoot that way from a rest when shooting rodents.
I shoot that way from lying on the cactus infested ground when shooting ruminants.

For further realism...

And I quit using ballistic charts or ballistic programs for elevation adjustment at long range based on chrono readings. I mark on the elevation turret based on holes in the target at actual long range.

I develop the loads in the vehicle while shooting at long range.
I don't care what the load book says, I don't care what Quickload says, I don't care what the chrono says.
I am looking at the brass, the target, and the range finder.

I am now on the Kramer reality shooting tour. And it has improved my results.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?