The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 18, 2013, 03:40 PM   #1
Mausermolt

Strange finds/experiences in the outdoors?

so i came across a thread similar themed thread on another forum i frequent. it was one of the coolest threads ive ever read! i didnt see anything like that in a quick search of TFL so i thought it would be a nice change. this can be anything from bigfoot sightings, aliens, finding old artifacts, guns whatever! just cool stories!

ill start.

i worked on a ranch near Riley Oregon while i was in high school. most of the employees were high school kids and a couple of mexican guys. we would get sundays off and usually would spend them coyote hunting, shooting sage rats, or jackrabbits.
one night around 1 AM we were out cruising the roads with our 22's in a Kawasaki Mule looking for some flea bitten varmint that needed a lead pill. when suddenly a series of bright lights zoomed across the sky at what seemed like Mach 90, then coming to an abrupt stop. we watched it totally stupefied as it hovered over the desert probably 500 ft in the air for about 3 min, then suddenly it zoomed off at about Mach 90 again in the opposite direction of us.
we all looked at each other wondering if anyone else had just seen what the other had. "did you guys just see that?!" "yeah! lets get the heck out of here before it comes back and wants to probe us!"
so we hauled butt back to the bunkhouse and proceeded to polish of a case of beer we had stashed for weekend recreational use.

and for a interesting thing i found in the woods: i found this old wagon while out rounding up cattle with my mother on some BLM land North of Burns

Moderators: If this thread needs to be moved to the General Discussion forum pleas feel free.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MM 6 cart.jpg (258.1 KB, 910 views)

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; May 19, 2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old May 18, 2013, 04:11 PM   #2
Erno86

I'm excited to hear about your eyewitness account of the lighted orb's. No doubt...they {UFO's} were intelligently controlled, and most likely --- not of this earth.

I'm a UFO hunter myself...with my own UFO sighting under my belt. My major goal is: communication/contact with the otherworder's, sans the anal probing.

What color were the orbs? Did you report the sighting? If not...NUFORC {National UFO Reporting Center} is a good start.

Have to go now...cuz I want to catch the Preakness on TV.

Cheers,

Erno86

--- George Orwell
Old May 18, 2013, 04:19 PM   #3
NoSecondBest

Crop your picture size and all your text will fit without using the scroll bar.
Old May 19, 2013, 10:59 AM   #4
jmr40

Several times in the last 15-20 years there have been some pretty severe tornados hit towns 60-70 miles to the west of us in Alabama. After these storms when turkey hunting in the spring I have often found lots of debris in the woods. Including someones W-2 forms. I mailed them back to the guy and told him where I found them. I was hoping to hear back from the guy, but did not.

Early one morning when I was about 13 I walked up on 2-3 guys in the process of stripping a stolen car. I was quietly walking down an old logging road squirrel hunting. They had driven the car in from the other direction just far enough to not be seen from the main road. They never saw me, and I didn't see any of them well enough to identify them. But I probably set an Olympic record for the 2 mile run while carrying a 20 guage shotgun. Got home and called the police. They were in the process of setting the car on fire when I spotted them. They were long gone by the time police arrived.

When I was 17 I found a Moonshine Still that had very recently been destroyed by LE. This place had probably been in operation a month before I found it.

Large portions of the North GA mountains were logged back in the late 1800's-early 1900's. They would lay RR tracks along the creek drainages, log the hillsides and drag the logs downhill to the tracks. When they finshed one drainage they would pull up the tracks and move to the next drainage. I quite often find bits or RR equipment, sections of track, etc in these places.
Old May 19, 2013, 11:31 AM   #5
Mausermolt

the Moonshine still would have been a cool one. would have been even better if it was running and the moonshiners were friendly enough to trade silence for product
Old May 19, 2013, 04:20 PM   #6
Mausermolt

COME ON! someone has to have some more fun stories?!
Old May 19, 2013, 07:34 PM   #7
Gunplummer

What about tires? Even when I was a kid I wondered how in the world tires could get into the most inaccessible places in the mountains. I found a fireplace and chimney standing in the woods when hunting. There is a small spring there, but not enough soil for a kitchen garden. Who knows why someone built a cabin there once.
Old May 20, 2013, 07:05 AM   #8
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
COME ON! someone has to have some more fun stories?!
You posted on finding an old wagon and that virtually killed the thread. How can you get cooler or more fun than that?

Let's see, I almost pulled a Jessica McClure in an open field if not for the sharp eyes and quick hands of a buddy. Otherwise, I would have been discovering local geology about 30 feet down.

I have a Rusted Victor trap from Alaska that I found on Prince of Wales Island that still has toe bones in it.
Old May 20, 2013, 08:18 AM   #9
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I meddle around the Solitario formation in south Brewster County, Texas. I occasionally find an Indian site, or a crystal cave--and often the remains of old ranching operations. I once was horse-backing in there and found a frame for hanging sacks for wool from sheep-shearing.

There is a creek running through my forty acres coming out of the "Lefthand Shutup". It has long been an access way into the Solitario from the east, and is mentioned by Louis L'Amour in one of his short stories in the collection "Monument Rock".

The Solitario, from 4,000 feet above:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...6&d=1021565164

From a couple of miles northwest of my huntcamp. The Chisos Mountains of Big Bend National Park, some forty miles southeast:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...4&d=1021342883

There is SOME water in the desert:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...1&d=1042176038

Back behind where I'm standing taking the photo are some Indian pictographs, and underneath a ledge is the fossil skeleton of a fish...
Old May 20, 2013, 08:38 AM   #10
jmr40

Art, I enjoyed the 1st 2 photos, but when I tried to open the 3rd I get a message saying I don't have permission to access that page.
Old May 20, 2013, 08:49 AM   #11
Mausermolt

same here Jmr, the 3rd one is locked.

so ill try and keep this alive....but im out of pictures

once working for the USFS i found an bull Elk carcass tangled up in a barbed wire fence. looked like his heard had been chased off the hill through a valley the fence ran through and he didnt quite make the jump. poor guy broke his neck got a cool 5X6 european mounted by nature
Old May 20, 2013, 11:32 AM   #12
doofus47

While scouting with a friend we came upon the remains (mostly just rows of stones) of an old cabin. I passed by, my buddy scrounged a bit and came up with a mostly rusted gold pan.
Old May 20, 2013, 11:35 AM   #13
FrankenMauser

Car engines at 9,500 feet, in the middle of 80+ year-old stands of trees, where hiking in was difficult.
Narrow gauge railroad grades where there is no record of any railroad (including logging, mining, and portage operations).
Spurs and saddle horns in the desert.
Indian ruins. (they're all around you, if you know what to look for)
Abandoned 19th century saw mills.
Two Model T Fords locked together in a mangled mess, half way down a granite mountain side.
A horse bridle tied to a tree, with a partial skeleton below it.

...some of the more interesting things I've come across.
Old May 20, 2013, 12:22 PM   #14
Mausermolt

poor pony! ...makes you wonder what happened to the rider....

ok ive got a couple more. but these i knew they were there by researching approximate locations on the web. so a few buddies and i went on a treasure hunt

1: A wreck of a A-6 Intruder near Christmas Valley, Oregon

2: P-38 Lightning Wreck 1 mile hike from the A-6.
interestingly enough the A-6 crashed ON THE SAME DAY 30 years latter as the A-6. unfortunately the P-38 was only scraps, but there is a huge hole in the ground where you could see it impacted. we dug around in the hole a bit and found a bunch of mangled 50BMG and 20mm shells. This pic is of the side plate from a Browning M2

3: B-24 Liberator wreck near Denio NV

really neat things to go and check out if your into military aviation. All 3 sites we brought along a few cold beers to pay our respects and leave for the poor souls that lost their lives.

EDIT: my apologies for the mega huge pictures, i dont know how to crop them smaller :/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tfl.jpg (55.3 KB, 1441 views)
File Type: jpg tfl1.jpg (143.2 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg S5030551.jpg (246.5 KB, 761 views)

Last edited by Mausermolt; May 20, 2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old May 20, 2013, 01:08 PM   #15
Kreyzhorse

Awesome pictures Art.
Old May 20, 2013, 01:28 PM   #16
Paul B.

I was at the ripe old age of 15 and I was with my just ex'd girl friend, my buddy at the time who had his girl friend with him. We were in Golden Gate park in San Francisco and I'd just dumped my girl friend. My buddy and I were walking maybe 20 or so feet ahead of the girls as my ex was being consoled by my buddy'd girl friend. I was just a bit ahead of my buddy, looking back at him and that the comment, You know how peole are always finding bodies it the park? Probably never happen to us. Then I tripped and fell flat on my face. You guessed it a dead guy. Piece of clothesline tied to a branch on a tree and the same rope around his neck which I guess broke from his weight. We sent the girls to call the cops who came fairly quickly. Got our named in the paper and a lot envious notoriety at school. I still have the newspaper clipping from back then. Back when I was a kid, that park was my playground. I still remember that incident even though it was 60 years ago.
These days, I look where I'm walking.
Paul B.
Old May 20, 2013, 02:35 PM   #17
anothernewb

I found a partial skeleton of a Triceratops once. friend of mine and I salvaged what we could. Each of us has a couple bones on our shelves.

Probably the strangest thing I ever found was a toilet out on a ridge in the badlands. probably 150' up a rock ledge. complete with seat and fill hose. looked like it was just pulled out of the box. probably 2-3 miles from any road or trail I came across. Had a commanding view though. I guess if you gotta go, might was well have some awesome scenery. Careful with balance tho, whole ledge was probably 2' wide at most.

Last edited by anothernewb; May 20, 2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old May 20, 2013, 05:17 PM   #18
Erno86

I was visiting one of my perported space alien haunts at Calvert Cliffs, Maryland, on the Western Shore of the Chesapeake Bay...when on my hike up the fireroad --- I heard a woosh-woosh sound above my head --- I looked up, and there was a bald eagle taking off from a pine tree; about 30 feet above my head.

About 15 years ago...I was bowhunting for deer in Seneca Park, Montgomery County {at the height of a rabies epidemic}: While walking back to my car on a underground telephone line trail after sundown...I saw a low-flying bat flying up an down the trail. I was concerned to say the least. All of a sudden {in the low light} I saw this bat coming straight for me --- at eye level --- I quickly raised up my four wheel compound Jennings Arrowstar bow in front of my face, and fought off the screaming bat with my bow. After making bow contact with the bat...I ran off the trail and into the woods --- while screaming at the top of my lungs. Later...a bowhunter come over and said that my screaming/running had spooked a big buck, that he saw running off into an adjacent cornfield.

--- George Orwell
Old May 20, 2013, 05:54 PM   #19
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

A buddy and I were meddling around on the west side of the Black Rock Desert, NW of Winnemucca. We drove by the remains of some sort of little community. Six or eight little rock houses. A little chuckle-gurgle creek behind them, and fruit trees of some sort. The houses were maybe 12' x 15', give or take a little. One room, each, by the looks.
Old May 20, 2013, 09:23 PM   #20
shouldazagged

While squirrel hunting very early one morning I saw a pileated woodpecker--we called them "woods hens" because of their size--that had just finished hanging himself. He had swooped down between two trees, caught his head in a fork of a thin sapling, and broken his neck. He was still warm.
Old May 21, 2013, 12:29 PM   #21
FrankenMauser

Mausermolt, that reminds me of a crashed F-86 I hunted around in Florida.

The military declared it unrecoverable, when it went down. (The "road" nearby is impassable, even for many modified off road vehicles; and everything turns to swamp on the other side.) Since then, it has been used as a visual training aid for pilots, and a nice landmark for hunters.

The deer rubbed that thing like crazy.
Old May 21, 2013, 02:25 PM   #22
1tfl

About 25 years ago I found an abandoned Chevy Vega in the woods. It looked like it had been out there for many years based on the condition of the metals and trees that were growing around the car. It was hard to tell if it had been torched or not. I have no idea how it got there because the nearest road was over a mile away and the surface around there was too soft to drive a car in.

About 15 years ago couple buddies and I were checking out a lake in the woods for duck hunting. It was a small lake but deep (20+ feet) with clear water. We went to one part of the lake with a lot of weeds and we could see into the water and see couple cars on the bottom. We called the local sheriff dept. in case there were bodies in them and they checked it out and decided to fish out all the cars. We learned later on the news that they found 23 cars in and around that part of the lake and that most were insurance jobs. Evidently it was a popular spot to make your car disappear for insurance money. I heard several people were arrested for insurance fraud.
Old May 21, 2013, 03:15 PM   #23
eldermike

Back in the late 60's I was stationed on an isolated site in Alaska, well above the tree line. When spring began and the snow melted a bit I found a rounded metal object flat on top of the snow. As the days went by it turned into a VW beetle. There was about 3 miles of dirt road so we got it running and played with it until winter. When I left in late winter it was no where to be found. I wonder if it ever ran again.
Old May 21, 2013, 03:33 PM   #24
Keg

I have some property leased....After having it for several years..I noticed something thru the trees....It was winter..and the leaves had fallen....There was a small house/cabin in the woods....It was still in decent shape....As the years went by..saplings grew up around it..then they turned into full grown trees....It had tin on the roof....It was tough to get to....
Old May 21, 2013, 11:10 PM   #25
dakota.potts

I live in a residential neighborhood surrounded on all sides by woods. 15 minutes to the nearest grocery store and an hour to the nearest hospital, but there's a huge neighborhood in the middle of nowhere Anyways, walking around that with my friends, we found an old tanker just stashed there less than 30 feet off the road in one of the neighborhoods. Front doors were unlocked. Still had a radio in it. We didn't have a mind to take anything but it looked like there was stuff worth taking to somebody else. We even climbed on top and got a look at the filling port up top. It said it was a saltwater transport. Not sure what that means.

There was also a CAT tractor and a front arm attachment. One of the scoop things.

I also once found what appeared to be the jaw of a cougar not far from the remains of a small building on a friend's 40 acre horse ranch.