The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 24, 2013, 08:36 PM   #1
jabraun98

Looking For Multi cal Suppressors

I have three rifles all in different calibers, .308, .22, .556... I would like a suppressor that will work on all these guns... I looked around and saw a few different models, but I want someone else's opinion. It's ok if it's just a 308 and 556, but also 22 would be a big bonus.
Thanks
Old August 24, 2013, 09:27 PM   #2
TXAZ

Can you clarify: Do you want a single suppressor that fits on all three of those bores listed, or the same model of suppressor but 1 supressor for each caliber?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old August 24, 2013, 09:27 PM   #3
allaroundhunter

Looking For Multi cal Suppressors

The problem with using a .30 cal can on a .22 LR is that buildup is a problem with most all .22 ammo and most high power rifle suppressors are not made to be disassembled.

If you will take a can that will work for 2 of the 3, then any .30 cal can will work (provided the threading matches the host rifles).
Old August 25, 2013, 12:59 AM   #4
Theohazard

Like allaroundhunter said; you're really looking for at least two cans here: a .30 caliber can and a .22 can.

Most center-fire rifle cans are sealed, meaning you can't take them apart: You don't need to clean a center-fire rifle can and they work better if they're sealed and can't be disassembled. The pressure is high enough that almost all the carbon fouling is blown right out of the can, and the thin layer that remains helps protect the baffles from heat and pressure and makes the can last longer, but this thin layer of carbon doesn't get too thick because of the huge amount of pressure going through the can with every shot.

But if you shoot .22 through it, the lead will build up and be almost impossible to remove. Eventually it will get thick enough to affect performance and it's almost impossible to remove the lead from inside a sealed can. This is why most people don't shoot .22 out of their rifle cans.

My favorite .22 can is the Spectre 2: super durable (rated up to 5.7), super quiet, and super easy to clean (not quiet as easy as the Sparrow, but with much less first round pop).

And my favorite rifle can is the AAC SDN-6. It's a full-auto rated .308 can that also works really well on 5.56. It's also optimized for subsonic 300 blackout if you ever decide to go that route. It's a quick-attach can so with the right mounts on your rifles you can switch it easily from a .308 rifle to a .223 (those rifles almost always have different thread patterns, so using a direct-thread can would require an adapter on the .223 rifle).
Old August 25, 2013, 03:46 PM   #5
JustinBiscuit

I would avoid shooting .22 through a center fire can.

I am very happy with my setup of a silencerco sparrow for .22 and 5.7x28, a 762-SDN-6 for rifle (5.56, 30 cal and 300 blackout) and a Ti-rant 45 for pistol (9mm and .45).
Old August 27, 2013, 06:40 AM   #6
SR420

I don't own a .22 and know nothing about suppressing them.

Finding a .308 suppressor that works well with your .223 is fairly easy these days... I run my Smith Enterprise Wind Talker M14DC 0.30 caliber sound suppressor on .308, 7.62x39 and .223 caliber rifles. All I did to make this possible was install the correct DC Vortex flash eliminator or suppressor capable Good Iron muzzle brake on the host rifle. I hope that helps.

Last edited by SR420; August 27, 2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old August 27, 2013, 12:35 PM   #7
schmellba99

Quote:
The problem with using a .30 cal can on a .22 LR is that buildup is a problem with most all .22 ammo and most high power rifle suppressors are not made to be disassembled.
This is one of those internet myths that is way overstated.

The biggest realistic issue with a .30 cal can on a .22 LR is usually the weight, and the fact that most .22 barrels will have excessive camber because of that weight.

All firearms have carbon buildup. The fact is that even if you pumped a lot of .22 LR rounds through a .30 suppressor, you will not get anywhere near enough buildup to have any detrimental effects on that suppressor, and after just a few rounds of hi pressure and hot .30 cal gas pushing through the baffles, the can is going to get cleaned out (as good as it would be anyway).'

That being said, get a dedicated .22 can and use a .30 cal centerfire can for your .308 and 5.56.
Old August 27, 2013, 02:08 PM   #8
Rikakiah

Quote:
All firearms have carbon buildup.
The issue is lead, not carbon. Since centerfire rounds are typically jacketed, they don't deposit lead nearly as much as .22LR. While I admittedly don't have my .22 suppressor, yet, I have read several posts about people taking their .22 suppressor apart to find significant buildup. The issue is also stated directly from several manufacturers, so I doubt they see it as a non-issue, either.
Old August 27, 2013, 03:38 PM   #9
Willie Lowman

schmellba99, you're telling me that the manufacturers of these suppressors are telling us not to ever fire .22 rimfire through sealed centerfire cans because of an internet myth? Ok.
Old August 27, 2013, 05:35 PM   #10
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikakiah
While I admittedly don't have my .22 suppressor, yet, I have read several posts about people taking their .22 suppressor apart to find significant buildup.
Yeah, it's amazing how much lead there is in a .22 can after only a few hundred rounds. No way am I putting that lead in my rifle can with very little hope of ever getting it out.