The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 28, 2020, 06:37 PM   #1
5whiskey

M91ts range success

If I had no other successes today at the range, at least now my carcano will hold a group and not a pattern at 50 yards. Not a good group @ a bit under 3” mind you, but a group none-the-less. It gives me hope for what will happen when I actually have projectiles that aren’t .004” under size for the bore.

I’m sure someone will jump in and say that carcanos aren’t that bad. You’re wrong lol

I know how you’re supposed to shoot carcanos with their sights, but I simply cannot adhere to the Italian way. If it was efficient then at least one other country would have caught on... but no one else did. I’m making a taller front sight blade but will keep the original. I did re crown the barrel, that’s what I believe was a contributor to the standard 8” patterns at 50 yards I was getting before today .

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old December 30, 2020, 03:59 PM   #2
RC20

I was getting pretty mediocre results with my 1917s until I went to use up some test loads for my 30-06 target that had not worked out (and found that particular 1917 had a deeper throat than the norm and adjusted the bullets to .020 off the lands)

First group, meh (3 inch x 5) - I am using a SK scope adapter.

Next 7 were a grain more, shooting in a snowstorm I could not see more than a green splash, where are they all going (inside 3/4 inch x 5). What the heck, did the last two longer (kinetic hammer and then push back) and it grow to a terrible 1 1/4 for all 7.

I had not tried the 1917 with those bullets, and somehow I had missed that particular one had a deeper throat (no idea, that is not normal and the barrel is unshot as near as I can tell).

Sadly the range closed for the month of Dec and I can;t get back to see how I am doing until Jan 4 or so (and have to see what the temps are.)

but a small difference can be amazing.
Old January 4, 2021, 05:25 AM   #3
l.cutler

Carcanos aren't that bad! There got that out of the way. Most of the bullets in commercially loaded stuff are no where near optimum for the carcano. I've yet to start reloading for them but plan to. I have 4 different Carcanos and my M91/38 short rifle actually shoots pretty well with PPU ammo. I haven't shot my cavalry carbine enough yet to see how it does, the M41 has a terrible bore and I don't have much hope for that one. I also have a M38 short rifle in 7.35 and I never tried that one due to a lack of 7.35 ammo.