The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 17, 2013, 02:24 AM   #1
Topthis

1911 Half Cock

...what is the Half Cock on the 1911 for? The only thing I can think of is that it give another option of Carry. Maybe a round in the chamber at Half Cock, would alleviate the need for the Thumb Safety being engaged?
Old February 17, 2013, 02:39 AM   #2
RickB

It's to catch the fall of the hammer when you fumble it, so you don't shoot yourself in the foot.
Half-cock is not a good carry choice, as you still have to manually cock the hammer to get the gun into action, but the half-cocked hammer could be hit with enough of a blow to shear the half-cock and fire the gun; at full-cock the hammer is protected by the grip safety, and lowered all the way, a blow to the hammer won't fire the gun.
Old February 17, 2013, 07:48 AM   #3
polyphemus

The grip safety blocks rearward trigger travel regardless of hammer position,
the reason why the hammer won't fall in half cock when the grip safety is
depressed is because the sear is trapped in the hook and can not rotate when
force is applied by the trigger.The half cock hook is so designed to arrest and
hold the hammer in the event of an unintended release.
Old February 17, 2013, 08:09 AM   #4
Pilot

Others have said what the half cock can do, but it is as safe a way to carry a 1911 as another with a round in the chamber. While I do carry mine C&L, I'd have no problem carrying on the half cock notch if I wanted to take the time to cock the pistol prior to needing it. Hopefully Tuner will be along.
Old February 17, 2013, 08:17 AM   #5
Nathan

I don't know for sure, but I would bet half cock would be very unfriendly to the sear nose I spent so much time cutting.

Last edited by Nathan; February 18, 2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old February 17, 2013, 10:12 AM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot
Hopefully Tuner will be along.
1911Tuner already commented on this exact question, maybe two or three months ago.
Old February 17, 2013, 10:51 AM   #7
1911Tuner

Half Cocked

Quote:
I would bet half cock would be very nksmfamjp friendly to the dear nose I spent do much time cutting.
Less so than keeping it at full cock, where the force is all concentrated on the primary angle of the crown...not to mention less force applied by the parrly compressed mainspring.

Quote:
1911Tuner already commented on this exact question, maybe two or three months ago
Several times, and always ran into a shhhhhhheepdip storm.

But I'll do it again.

The half cock is, by design and intent a safety. Says so right there in the 1910 patents. All of Browning's other exposed hammer guns used the captive half cock notch as a safety, three of the better-known examples being the Model 92 and 94 rifles and the Model 97 shotgun, neither of which had a manual safety of any kind.

Mechanically...the captive notch locks the sear and hammer together and effectively disables the whole fire control group. The trigger and sear can't move, and the hammer can't fall. If that doesn't meet the requirements for a safety, I'd like to know what does.

Quote:
The half cock hook is so designed to arrest and
hold the hammer in the event of an unintended release
Another example of Browning's penchant for designing a part to perform two or more functions. The slide stop has five separate functions.

That ol' boy was pretty sharp.
Old February 17, 2013, 11:45 AM   #8
DMacLeod

I was an MP stationed at Ft Bragg a few years ago (like 30+). We weren't allowed to carry one in the pipe (cocked and locked) so quite a few of us would carry one in the pipe and on half cock.

Never saw a negligent discharge or heard of one. It was explained to us by an armorer friend as 1911tuner did. He did it a little differently though, "ya could throw it across the room and it wouldn't go off".
Old February 17, 2013, 11:49 AM   #9
RickB

Unless you threw it in a way that caused it to land on the hammer, and then it might go off, unlike full-cock or hammer-down.
Old February 17, 2013, 12:15 PM   #10
1911Tuner

Landing

Quote:
Unless you threw it in a way that caused it to land on the hammer, and then it might go off, unlike full-cock or hammer-down.
It'd hafta land juuuuust right, especially with the standard A1 grip safety tang and spur hammer.

And no gun is as safe if it's dropped as it is if it's not.

And anyone who's so fumble-fingered that they drop their gun on a regular basis probably shouldn't carry one...or even handle one...or carry a DA revolver...or a SA with an empty chamber under the hammer.
Old February 17, 2013, 05:42 PM   #11
Topthis

...sorry for the re-post. I did a search for Half Cock etc., and didn't really come up with anything that I was looking for. Thanks for the answers though and the clarification. Much appreciated.
Old February 18, 2013, 06:53 PM   #12
Pilot

Thanks Tuner.