The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 7, 2012, 01:48 PM   #1
Bubba the Roach

resizing lube on turrent press

so i have been reloading on a single stage for about 6 months now. Was thinking about getting a turrent press but i seemed to be a bit confused about lubing when resizing. I guess my question is, is there a way to lube without doing it by hand (which I prefer) on the press? Thanks for all the input
Old October 7, 2012, 02:40 PM   #2
BigJimP

Yes,

I use Dillon spray lube...( even though I use all carbide dies / lubing makes the press run a lot smoother).

I get a box lid / for a large box...like a case of copy paper box ...so the box lid is a couple of inches deep - and about 11" X 17". I grab 4 or 5 handfulls of cleaned and sorted cases....and I dump them in the box lid ...then I roll them around so they're all flat / laying down. I spritz all the cases ( lightly ) with the lube. I roll them around / rub them in my hands ....and then let them dry for 20 min. They are now all set to run....

Its way easier - than those lube pads, all that stuff we used to use on single stage operations...
Old October 7, 2012, 02:56 PM   #3
Creeper

I do the same as Jim... with the only variation being that I "borrow" a large, teflon coated pan from the kitchen. What the wife don't know...

C
Old October 7, 2012, 06:33 PM   #4
BigJimP

I just spit part of a beer all over the screen laughing....geez man, she's gonna whip your butt for that....

Part of the reason I use a box lid....is the depth makes them easier to pour the cases into my case feeder..../ and when they get nasty - I just toss them out and go get another one...
Old October 7, 2012, 07:01 PM   #5
Creeper

Sorry Jim... it's always beer or coffee. No, wait... there was a gin and tonic that I was blamed for once.

I used to put wrinkle painted Harley parts in the first wife's oven... maybe that's why she was first wife.
Maybe if I use cardboard, second wife will not murder me in my sleep.

C
Old October 8, 2012, 01:19 AM   #6
noylj

Hate to say it, but a lube pad is still cheap and works great.
1) If using carbide dies, no need to lube (though it does help with 9x19 cases). Lube every fifth 9x19 case and things will go smoother.
2) I prefer any of the light hand-pump units from Frandford Arsenal or Dillon. Diluting the Lee case lube in water and using a hand-pump works well. Nice thing is, I have found no reason to worry about these lubes on the cases.
Spray on a bunch of cases and "tumble lube" them. Wait 1-2 minutes for all the propellant and solvent to flash off.
3) For rifle cases, you can use the RCBS lube die. This will lube the body of the case and deprime the case. Just need to watch the lube level every few hundred cases.
For bottleneck cases, you discover inadequate lube by sticking a case in the die. Hasn't happened to me in about 40 years of reloading, but I consider that as maybe more luck then skill. Sooner or later...
Old October 10, 2012, 10:42 PM   #7
Valerko

I have lee turret press. For 223 brass I use spray on lube and seems to work fine.
For 308 I use pad.
Old October 11, 2012, 01:28 AM   #8
hk33ka1

Pistol with carbide dies doesn't need lube, all rifle case/dies will need lube. I didn't care for the spray on lubes I used for rifles so I usually use Redding Imperial Sizing Die Wax by hand or roll on an RCBS Lube pad with RCBS Case Lube II. I don't know of any way to lube while on the press and I don't think anyone uses spray on all over the press.
Old October 11, 2012, 09:27 AM   #9
BPowderkeg

try this:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248856
Old October 11, 2012, 10:26 AM   #10
Rogue35

I use a gallon ziploc bag and throw around 100 pieces of 223 in. I will then give it 3 squirts of Frankford Aresenal spray lube, close the bag, and work everything around for a few minutes. Empty the bag and let the brass dry for a few minutes and you're in there like swimwear.