The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 18, 2011, 08:14 PM   #1
harleyx2

lee auto disk for cowboy loads

I cant figure out which disk to use to make 3.2 grains of powder from the Lee Auto Disk. The smallest number on my disk is .30 I think I need the .27 but it didnt come with one that small. Des anyone know which one I need? Thanks
Old August 18, 2011, 08:35 PM   #2
excelerater

disc number is not relevant....u must weigh your loads
Old August 18, 2011, 09:09 PM   #3
Lost Sheep

Welcome, and thanks for asking our advice

There is some debate on the safety of relying on the disk cavity number to determine how much powder you are putting into your cartridges.

To say the number is not relevant is incorrect. To say the number is wrong might be more correct. To say the number is just a guide as to what to expect your powder to weigh when you DO drop it into a scale is more correct.

It is possible to use the Lee dippers or the Auto-Disk to load without having access to a scale, but it is inadvisable. If you use this practice, I HIGHLY recommend staying in the mid-range of loading. For Cowboy Action Shooting power levels, you should be quite safe, but if you post what powder and bullet you are using, what load manual you got your recipe from and what cartridge (38-44? 45 Colt? 44-40? 38 Special?) we could probably help you more.

And GET A SCALE as soon as you possibly can. The Lee Safety Scale is only about $30 (and a lot less used at guns shows and swap meets) and as accurate as any powder scale commonly used (+ or - 0.1 grain). It is tricky to use and some don't like it, but if you read the instructions, you will do fine.

I didn't like mine at all until I got a copy of the instructions and now find it usable. Prefer my RCBS 10-10 though.

Good Luck, I lood forward to helping as soon as I know 1) The Cartridge 2) the firearm, 3) the powder 4) the reference you got your recipe from and 5) the bullet you intend to shoot.

Lost Sheep
Old August 18, 2011, 09:15 PM   #4
GP100man

Scale needed !!

What powder ya using ????

I use lee auto disc exclusivly for handgun loading .
Old August 18, 2011, 09:16 PM   #5
harleyx2

.38 special in a Uberti Revolver with 3.2 grains of titegroup with a 125 grain round nose flat point lead bullet. I have a Lyman manual. I was asking about the power disk just to get a good starting point and also to help me figure that crazy chart out. Thanks
Old August 18, 2011, 09:52 PM   #6
1chig

Chart and disk is for refference. My disk never drop what they say. Always weigh your powder. I usually have to go up one size on the disk to get the load the chart says the smaller should drop. But thats just me. Get a scale imho.
Old August 19, 2011, 12:44 AM   #7
Lost Sheep

Here's what I found and what I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyx2
.38 special in a Uberti Revolver with 3.2 grains of titegroup with a 125 grain round nose flat point lead bullet. I have a Lyman manual. I was asking about the power disk just to get a good starting point and also to help me figure that crazy chart out. Thanks
Thanks for the load information. That helps.

Always get load data from two independent sources (is one of my mottos).

This data is from Hodgdon's web site
125 GR. CAST LRNFP (Lead Round Nose Flat Point)
Hodgdon Titegroup
Diameter .358"
Cartridge overall length 1.445"
Starting load 3.2 gr 856 fps pressure 8,400 CUP
Maximum load 3.8 gr 985 fps pressure 12,000 CUP

This agrees within reasonable expectations to your Lyman manual

About the amount of powder the Lee Auto-Disk will give you: Lee's web site has this in its Frequently Asked Questions.

Powder cavity tolerances

The powder manufacturers allow themselves a 16% tolerance in the density of their powder, from lot to lot. We have to calibrate our chart to show the high side of that tolerance, so you should never get more than what the chart indicates, but you will sometimes get less. Believe the scale. If your measure consistently throws less than what the chart indicates, try going up to the next larger cavity. If the powder measure throws more than what the chart indicates, please let us know!

So, expect your dippers and disk cavities to throw light. Experience has shown this to be true.

My guide shows the Lee Autodisk cavity to use for Titegroup at .30 giving 3.5 grains and the .32 giving 3.8 grains in weight. So, the advice to have a scale on hand is doubly good. If you have a scale, you can compile your own chart. I would expect the .30 cavity to drop around 3.2 and the .32 to drop around 3.5 grains. But without a scale, I am just guessing based on experience with powders OTHER THAN TITEGROUP. I use a lot of flake powders. Titegroup is spherical. Packing ratio should be more uniform with spherical granules.

My advice, 1) use either cavity. 2) get a scale.

Lost Sheep
Old August 19, 2011, 12:55 AM   #8
Jim243

To answer your question, use the adjustable chrage bar, I do all my pistol loads with it from 380 to 357 mags and all loads between.

Jim

http://leeprecision.com/xcart/ADJ-CHARGE-BAR.html
Old August 19, 2011, 08:10 AM   #9
harleyx2

I have a lee scale that came with my press I was just trying to get a good idea where to start. I want sure if I was reading the auto disk application chart right. The auto disk description on some websites says it goes down to .27 and the lowest number on any of my disk is .30. If you look at the micro disk kit it doesn't go up to .27
Old August 19, 2011, 08:57 AM   #10
griz

I think their dipper set goes down to 2.7cc. Maybe that's where the number comes from?

At any rate, I would try the 3.0 and see what charge it throws. They throw a tad lighter than the chart shows, so you might be close to 3.2 grains.