The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 22, 2011, 09:41 PM   #1
kwhi43

Daughter's Pistol Target

Went shooting today. Daughter was getting in a little practice. This is her
pistol target 25 yds. one hand un-surpported. Oh she just turned 13.
Old May 22, 2011, 09:45 PM   #2
hafpit

Very nice. What was she shooting?
Old May 22, 2011, 09:51 PM   #3
Sarge

She's doing great! I was about three years older than her when an old bullseye shooter started pestering me to actually HIT something when I pulled the trigger. I look at that target and think 'What I wouldn't give to have those eyes/reflexes/cardio and know what I know now.'

Give her a pat on the head from me. It's great to see kids getting into the game.
Old May 22, 2011, 09:51 PM   #4
kwhi43

Her little 32 cal target pistol.

Old May 23, 2011, 10:22 AM   #5
kwhi43

This is her shooting at Friendship last year with Mom looking on.

Old May 23, 2011, 10:32 AM   #6
Geezerbiker

My daughter was shooting better than that at 12 with my M1911a1. Years later she went shooting with her marine boyfriend and his buds. She took the same M1911a1 and embarrassed that group of marines so bad they never would shoot with her again.

When she was 10, a friend of mine that was a practical pistol coach took us to tri-county gun club in Sherwood, OR. He let her shoot his Glock 19 and with very little training he pronounced her the most amazing thing he'd ever seen.

Please forgive my bragging, I only have the one kid and I don't get a chance to brag about her very often.

Taking a daughter shooting has to be one of the best experiences life has to offer. Enjoy it, you don't have that many years until she's grown and moved out...

Tony
Old May 23, 2011, 11:09 AM   #7
Tanker6

First off, it's great that she's shooting! Second, that ain't bad shooting! Third, it's really great she's shooting!

I have 13 y/o daughter who shoots SASS with me. My 8 y/o son just started shooting with us (he shoots pistols only -- .22). I can't say how much fun it has been being able to enjoy shooting with my kids.

Enjoy the time you get to do this! I know I am.
Old May 23, 2011, 11:19 AM   #8
zippy13

You're very fortunate. When my daughter was young, I tried to get her interested in shooting; but, she thought the whole process was "too loud" despite ear protection.
Old May 24, 2011, 10:46 AM   #9
Scooch

That's awesome shooting and so much fun.

I started my girls at the range when they were young as well. My youngest would hang her best target on her bedroom door and write "strangers keep out" on it... typical kid claiming her space. Now that she is older and out of college I don't see her as often as I'd like but when she is in town, going to the range together is always on her to-do list. When my oldest was old enough to buy her own gun, she outfitted herself with a Lady Smith, snub nosed .38 complete with pink grips. The first time she took it to the range, she painted her fingernails pink to match. The men at the range didn't know what to think about this young, blonde bombshell in a dress, heels and toting a pink gun...until she consistently nailed bullseyes with that little .38.

Great memories!