The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 22, 2010, 09:31 AM   #1
Sea Buck

The easiest sabot to load

I have new CVA Wolf Magnum. Even with the rebated muzzle it's diffecult to drive the sabotted slug down the barrel. I am using TC Shockwave 250 gr spire points.What is out there that might load a little easier.
Old November 22, 2010, 10:18 AM   #2
Wild Bill Bucks

Sea Buck,

I'd like to be able to tell you that there is on sabot that is perfect in all rifles, but that is simply not the case. All rifles will like a particular kind of sabot and bullet combination, and will shoot that combination better, and more accurate than any other. Some will load easier than others, but may not be as accurate.

You will have to experiment with your loads, just like everyone else on this forum has done, to find what your rifle likes to eat. It becomes a little expensive, but is well worth the effort when all is said and done.

My suggestion would be to contact MMP sabot company, and talk to them and see what they recommend. I would also look into buying my bullets in bulk and try to get away from the $1.00 a shot bullets you are using. There are lots a bullets out there for muzzle loading that will do a great job, so there is no need to pay for a name.

Just my $.02
Old November 22, 2010, 11:34 AM   #3
denster

Try the harvester crush rib sabot. Works great and easy to load.
Old November 22, 2010, 11:40 AM   #4
Poodleshooter

Yup-pretty much every sabot out there is made by MMP or Harvester (the guys who make shotshell wads),and is just rebranded as TC or whatever.

Buy the sabots from them, add cast pistol bullets and enjoy cheaper shooting.
Old November 22, 2010, 12:06 PM   #5
golfballshootr

For what its worth, the easiest loading, less fouling, and most accurate, that I have used is, Powerbelt.
Old November 22, 2010, 01:12 PM   #6

Normally, I'm not a fan of Powerbelts (they didn't shoot worth a crap through my gun or anyone I know who tried them) but, they have something going with CVA. As I understand, Powerbelts are the "go to" bullets for CVA muzzle stuffers. Also, powder or equivelents can have an effect on the ease of loading. White Hots, American Pioneer (the one Shockey pimps), and Blackhorn 209 are all suppose to foul less than 777, Pyrodex, and BP.

Just a couple of things to try.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old November 25, 2010, 06:35 AM   #7
shortwave

+1 on the Powerbelts in the CVA. Doubt you'll find a much easier loading boolit. Hope your rifle shoots them well.

Here's a tip. Don't overcharge them. I've found somewhere between 85-100 grns. best. Overcharge and you get to many fliers.
Old November 25, 2010, 07:31 AM   #8
NUKE HUNTER

i have the wolf too. try the hornady packaged sabots with xtp's. cheap shots (TC)are also easy to load and group good too.you cant go wrong with the crushed ribbed sabots,in fact my wolf loves a 300 gr xtp mag in a crushed rib sabot pushed by 2 t7 pellets using cci primers. i get 1" groups at 75yards.
good luck and have fun
Old November 25, 2010, 08:48 AM   #9
Doyle

I love Hornadys but I don't like the XTP's. I like the better BC of the SSTs. I use those in a low-drag sabot and they slide down the barrel very easily. The SSTs are the same as the T/C bullets (Hornady makes them for T/C) but they are cheaper.