The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 24, 2009, 03:05 PM   #1
caseman67

Handgun novice in need of advice...

I do not currently own a handgun, however, I plan to make a purchase as soon as I figure out what I want and what will suit my needs. I also plan to get my ccw permit.

My original thought was to get one gun. I wanted a semi-auto with a 4" barrel. That would allow me to comfortably shoot it at the range with good accuracy, use it at home for SD as well as carry concealed. My original budget was ~$600....all was well, until I talked to my friend.

My friend got his ccw permit and immediately bought a ultra compact Kimber with the intention of using it to carry concealed. He then bought a pocket Ruger .380 which he now exclusively carries because it is so convenient (he has never carried the Kimber yet). He has advised me that pocket carry is so convenient, that if I have to go home after work (I work in an office, dressed up and sit at a desk all day), change out of my dress clothes, put on a heavy belt and holster to carry my 4" barrel gun to the grocery store, that I probably won't go through the effort (especially in the summer). He says to satisfy my requirements above, it will take two guns. He advises me to get a pocket gun for everyday carry and a second gun for range, home defense and the occasional time you want to carry it (heading into Detroit for example).

After considering his comments, I think I have convinced myself that my thinking of one gun to do it all was misguided. I am now considering either a Kahr PM9 or Ruger LCR for the pocket and possibly a 9mm XD compact, CZ75 compact, FNP9 or a used sig for range/home/occasional carry.

Is buying two guns the most logical choice? Or, would you stick to the "one gun can do it all" plan and possibly just go with the pocket gun for ease of carry?

There are so many variables to consider when making a gun purchase, Im not sure how anyone can sift through all the data (brand, model, size, material, holster choices, caliber, price, etc. etc. etc.....)
Old September 24, 2009, 03:08 PM   #2
CWPinSC

The "best" gun is the one YOU like, not anyone else. It will be a compromise of:

1. Fit - It should fit in your hand like you were born with it there.
2. Reliability - It should go BANG about 99.8% of the time you pull the trigger.
3. Accuracy - In YOUR hand. It's how well YOU shoot it.
4. Concealability - It should be comfortable enough to wear and easy enough to conceal so you won't leave it laying on the dresser at home.
5. Cost - You don't want to scrimp on your "life protector" weapon, but you probably don't need a $1,000 Kimber, either.
Old September 24, 2009, 03:20 PM   #3
rickyjames

a gun is no good if it is at home. a small gun in the pocket is better than a 45 at home. compare guns, i have a little amt 380 that is always with me. there are some 9 mm's that might suit your needs if you want 2 buy just 1 gun. taurus has some new slim line 9mm's, i havn't seen 1 in person but you might ask around. i'm sure there are other brands also.
Old September 24, 2009, 03:41 PM   #4
oneounceload

And then there are the revolvers.....................

Some are small enough to fit in your pocket nicely, and some are larger for HD/Range/winter coat usage - they can be had in comparable calibers as well as some calibers that will just thump you. No magazines to lose or get bent, no safeties to flip off in a stress moment, pull the trigger - no feed jams, etc......

Just something to consider
Old September 24, 2009, 03:51 PM   #5
howwie

A good fun to shoot easy to conceal gun for me was the bersa thunder .380 it carries with ease and was easy on the wallet. However my G19 suits my CCW needs well, but I will say as far as the summer goes it's Bersa all the way. I'm not trying to swing you off your choices, but the Bersa is around 250 brand new and you could still afford a decent larger gun as well. It's not pocket carry but it is really fun to shoot, easy to carry, pretty accurate and reliable as far as I've seen. But good luck on your decision and make sure to shoot any gun before you buy if at all possible! It would have saved me some trouble in some cases!
Old September 24, 2009, 04:06 PM   #6
LarryFlew

I carry an alloy frame CZ PCR in 9mm IWB no problem weight wise.
Old September 24, 2009, 04:14 PM   #7
woad_yurt

I have a P3AT in my pocket every day and it's no effort whatsoever. When it's heavier clothing weather, I may carry a Makarov or a PA-63.

If you want to carry, I suggest that you first get something that you can always have on your person. Whatever you get will be useless if left at home.

Last edited by woad_yurt; September 25, 2009 at 08:10 AM.
Old September 24, 2009, 04:20 PM   #8
Japle

As far as the problem of putting on a heavy belt and threading on a holster, just get a paddle holster. Slip on, slip off, very comfortable.

Getting a .380 BUG (Back Up Gun) is a great idea. I carry a P3AT all the time. Hard to go wrong with an XD9 Compact. Or a Glock 19 or 36.

For that quick trip to the store, a tank top or T-shirt with an open work shirt over it will do the job. Don't worry about printing. There have been dozens of threads on this and the consensus is that no one will notice a thing.
Old September 24, 2009, 04:33 PM   #9
drrpg01

I would get the pocket gun for now to serve your SD purposes. You can practice with it at the range for the time being. Later, you can get a gun that is more of a range gun. Your friend is correct, though, typically your best range gun is not necessarily your best concealed gun. It's important to become really comfortable with an SD gun though, so it would actually be a good thing for you to only have that one gun and be forced to practice with it at the range. Ruger LCR is a good option, but it takes A LOT of practice to become proficient with the small-barreled guns.
Old September 24, 2009, 05:19 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

Please believe me that I don't mean to disparage either those who ask for or those who give advice on what gun to buy. But I always wonder if there would not be similar responses if someone were to ask:

"I plan to get a girl friend/wife/SO, what do you recommend?"

or

"I am thinking of buying a vehicle and should I get a Lamborghini or a Peterbilt 18-wheeler?"

The answers to the first will be based purely on the responder's personal preferences and experience; the answers to the second will be based on the questioner's needs and requirements.

So it is with guns.

Jim
Old September 24, 2009, 05:29 PM   #11
Laker

Get the gun YOU like the best as your first. I promise you, it won't be your only gun long.
Old September 24, 2009, 05:33 PM   #12
hamr56

I would go to a gun shop and handle a couple of different models. I would also look to see if you have a range where you can rent their guns. This is a great way to see if not only the gun fits you, but if it shoots for you. Honestly it really is up to you in the end.

I am like your friend and carry a lightweight cc. I however went with a smith & wesson snubby revolver, comfortable and no failure to fire or eject issues.

Oh and go with the Lambo...
Old September 24, 2009, 05:52 PM   #13
rgates

I also work in an office sitting at a desk all day. The office layout would make it useless to put the pistol in the desk drawer while there. I have a 9x18 Makarov that I usually carry and is no problem if out and about, driving, shopping...whatever. However, sitting at a desk all day with it becomes quite painfull even after trying numerous holsters. I looked at Bersa and they are about the same size and weight. I also didn't see much improvement with the Kel-Tec P11 or PF9. I'm about to pick up a Ruger LCP and I think I'll finally be both comfortable and armed.
Old September 24, 2009, 07:15 PM   #14
Jim March

You're describing a situation where you've got one smallish gun on you ALL THE TIME and you also have available something bigger at home and on the road "when you feel the need".

This isn't a bad gameplan, but I do recommend having that same smallish "all the time gun" on you 100% of the time, carried in the same place. Trouble happens, you reach for it - "constant companion".

The Ruger LCR makes tons of sense as the "always on you" gun.
Old September 24, 2009, 07:36 PM   #15
CSHammond

Get something you like and will be comfortable with.
Old September 24, 2009, 07:37 PM   #16
headbangerJD

2 guns, ah, maybe

I have bought a few guns after obtaining my CCW permit and have learned a few things. One of the first things that I learned was that having more than just 1 gun is beneficial, but not necessarily needed. I can carry my Kahr P40 in any type of dress and in any type of weather very comfortably and 100% concealed in an IWB holster. This gun is extremely well balanced, it is about as small as a good shooting semi-auto comes and holds 7+1 of 40s&w. But, sometimes I like to carry my snub nose in a pocket holster when its extremely hot because its concealed easier in light clothing and is lighter/more comfortable, but I also lose capacity and have a smaller caliber. On the other hand, I love carrying my Glock 23, but its a bit bulky which means I need a good holster, heavier attire, and a good gun belt ($) but I gain a better caliber and more capacity.
An LCR is a decent gun, but a bigger caliber gun would be much better, but if you're not going to carry it, then it doesn't really matter.
All in all, one gun is plenty, but there are a few more advantages if you own a few, but the most important part of CCW is PRACTICE, so make sure you practice w/ your cc gun often and carry it whenever possible.

good luck
Old September 24, 2009, 08:09 PM   #17
LarryFlew

I plan to get a girl friend/wife/SO, what do you recommend

Can we really go there?
Old September 24, 2009, 10:54 PM   #18
Mello2u

caseman67,

I can't advise you to get any particular gun. I can raise things you should consider in making a choice as have many others who have posted. You must go through the process of learning what is out there, what is relevant and what works for you.

Adding a #6 to what CWPinSC listed as compromises: power!

All defensive handgun cartridges are under powered and that is why it is taught to shoot at least twice and assess or shoot until the threat is incapacitated.

In defensive shooting your are balancing three things: power, speed and accuracy. When you choose your cartridge that you carry you have what you have. Then if a situation arises you are left to balance speed and accuracy. You have to hit to stop the threat but you have to hit fast enough . . . whatever that is.

So to you what will be your minimum power? .32acp, .380acp, 9mm x 18, 9mm x 19, .38spl. .357 mag, .357sig, .40 S&W, 10mm auto, .41 mag, .44 spl, .44 mag, .45acp, or .45 Colt?
(maybe full power .41 mag and .44 mag and max hand loads of the .45 colt, which develop about 1000 ft lb of energy, should be excluded as defensive cartridges)
" Frederic Bastiat
Old September 25, 2009, 06:00 AM   #19
caseman67

Guys, I appreciate all the replies. I know everyone hates to read a "hey, what should I do" thread....but in the end, I always learn something when reading them. Your comments open my mind to something new each time I read a thread like that. Even though in the end it will come down to me handling guns and making a choice for me, it is still helpful to read your comments and thoughts. Because I am a novice, you raise valid points that cause me to rethink or it helps validate my original plan.

From your replies, I have come to the conclusion that I first need to get a gun that will be on me 100% of the time and to practice with it. It may not be the slickest, flashiest, better than my friend's gun or even favorite gun to shoot. But I will have piece of mind knowing I am safer with that on me than without. With that in mind, I am leaning toward a pocket gun for the convenience factor. I can not carry at work or even have one on work property in the car. So, I would like the convenience of being able to drop it in my pocket (using a pocket holster) when home from work or on the weekends. I plan to check out the Ruger LCR, Kahr PM9 along with any others that may fit the bill for pocket carry.

I will continue to research other models/brands and make another purchase that may be more suited for range shooting fun/accuracy, better home defense and cc when needed (along with my pocket gun). Tough choices lie ahead as I don't want to have buyers remorse and there are so many factors to consider.

Thanks for all your input....feel free to post more replies as they continue to educate myself and other members who may be new to the handgun world.
Old September 29, 2009, 05:28 PM   #20
par4

My vote is for a Bersa Thunder 380 or 380 CC. They are very good and reliable and will not break the bank. Additionally, if purchased new, they come with lifetime service included - hard to beat. Ammo is still a consideration, but I have been able to find plenty online at WC Armory.com and others. Good Luck.
Old September 29, 2009, 07:22 PM   #21
27Veer

I also appreciate the information in this thread.
Old October 1, 2009, 10:55 AM   #22
Mark Milton

What is the MOST IMPORTANT THING you want this gun for?

If its' self defense, go ahead and buy a five shot snubby revolver. Later on, you can save up some money and buy a five inch barrel autopistol for plinking fun at the range.

Till then, you can learn the basics of marksmanship with your snubby.

If plinking is the main thing, go ahead and buy a service style pistol and later on down the line you can get a pocket pistol or BUG. Till then, you can get an IWB rig for your service pistol.

I will tell you this. If I had only ONE choice, I would split the difference and get a three inch barrel revolver or compact .45 auto that would be big enough to shoot well and small enough to conceal comfortably.
I like my Kimber Compact for that reason and I like my 3 inch model 65 for the same reason.