The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 16, 1999, 10:52 AM   #1
Bill Hebert

I've bought a recoil pad and want to install it on a fiberglass stock. The butt dimension of the stock fall between the "medium" and "large" recoil sizes, so I bought the "large" size. Here's the question - should I build up the butt size with fiberglass to match the recoil pad standard size, or should I grind the pad to match the butt size? Is there a way to grind the pad that will produce a result that looks good -even great? At this stage I've also been advised to embed about 1&1/2 lbs of lead shot in the stock. This will supposedly reduce recoil (the gun is a 308). I will not be "packing" the gun for long distances and want to use it primarily at the range and plan to shoot 100-200 rounds/afternoon. It originally had a metal butt plate and 100-200 rounds results in just a bit much soreness on Monday morning for this guy. Thanks for any suggestions. Bill
Old July 16, 1999, 03:34 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Generally in fitting a recoil pad, the pad is ground to fit the contours of the stock. Tape up the stock to protect it from the sander. Two layers of tape should do nicely. Go slow and inspect often.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Old July 16, 1999, 09:05 PM   #3
Grayfox

Gary told you right. Here's a little trick I use. Two layers of tape using different colors or types of tape. When the top layer is gone, close enough.

Heed the warning. Go slow, inspect often. It only takes one small slip to leave a nasty mark on the stock.
Old July 16, 1999, 10:48 PM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Bill, I'll only add a little to what Gary and Grayfox have already said. I'm assuming that you don't have a recoil pad jig. It wouldn't be worth it for one pad anyway. If I were installing one for the first time without a jig I would use a disc sander and get no closer than 1/16" to the stock. At that point I would wrap with two thicknesses of tape as Grayfox suggested and finish with a sharp file and abrasive strips.