The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old September 15, 2005, 09:42 AM   #1
Redworm

what's the Firefly connection?

I've noticed a couple of people have quotes from the show in their sigs and there's a section in the Library about it. Granted it does make sense thta a show about freedom fighters would appeal to gun owners, but I'm wondering if there's any particular connection between the forum owners and the show. Just big fans?
Old September 15, 2005, 01:48 PM   #2
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

I have no idea what this Firefly is or what show you're talking about. Methinks our technical guru Tyme would know. If he doesn't respond to this thread soon you might try emailing him and asking about it.

-Dave
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Old September 15, 2005, 02:44 PM   #3
tyme
Staff

Firefly is a very interesting space/western TV show by Joss Whedon (Buffy/Angel) that was cancelled halfway through its first season (2002-2003).

Serenity is a movie based on the TV series, and it opens on September 30th.

The banner in the library is not a commercial banner ad; I just put it there to raise awareness about the movie.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old September 15, 2005, 03:42 PM   #4
Ben Swenson

Firefly tended to be brutally honest and had a "Sometimes bad people just have to die" theme running through it. Also was very pro-liberty, pro-individual freedom.

I like it a lot. Can't wait for the movie.
Old September 15, 2005, 04:17 PM   #5
Redworm

Quote:
The banner in the library is not a commercial banner ad; I just put it there to raise awareness about the movie.
Yeah, I love the show and I'm eagerly awaiting the movie. Just wondered why it was there; thanks for the heads up.
Old September 15, 2005, 04:40 PM   #6
Mal H
Staff

... and they used some pretty cool handguns, although they were ancient to them.
Old September 30, 2005, 06:02 AM   #7
tyme
Staff

BTT (as if anyone reads this forum). Serenity premiers today.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old September 30, 2005, 10:55 AM   #8
Ben Swenson

My relief just came in. Another half hour and I'm taking off to go see it.

It's a bit chilly. My coat is kind of a brownish color.
Old September 30, 2005, 03:48 PM   #9
KaceCoyote

I'm hearing rumors that sci-fi might pick them up if the movie goes over well. Can anyone confirm?
Old October 2, 2005, 08:22 AM   #10
tyme
Staff

I thought Joss had closed down Mutant Enemy (his TV production company... Buffy, Angel, Firefly) and stated that he's done with TV. The rumors I have heard are that if the movie goes well, there may be at least 2 sequels.

I read one review that labelled Simon "incestuous," called Inara Mal's ex-gf, called the alliance "theocratic," and called the River sub-plot "mystical mud." I'm wondering if that reviewer even bothered to watch the movie. He certainly hadn't watched the TV series.
Old October 2, 2005, 07:15 PM   #11
ethernectar

Loved it.

A friend of mine turned me onto Firefly, loved it. Saw Serenity on friday night, loved that too. Great show, storyline, acting, etc.
Old October 3, 2005, 08:04 AM   #12
Marko Kloos

We bought the complete DVD set on a friend's enlightened advice, and we think that Firefly is officially The Greatest TV Series Ever In The History Of Television.

Getting a babysitter for next weekend so we can go out and see "Serenity".

the munchkin wrangler.
Old October 4, 2005, 04:28 PM   #13
TIYAA

Wasn't Serenity the name of the ship?
Old October 4, 2005, 05:02 PM   #14
tyme
Staff

Yes. It's the name of the ship, the name of the pilot episode of the abortive TV series, and the name of the movie.

Serenity on IMDB
Serenity on rottentomatoes.com
Orson Scott Card's review of Serenity
Old October 5, 2005, 10:25 AM   #15
Eghad

Caught the movie.....great stuff. I dont think ant TFLer would be dissapointed by it.

NRA Life Member