The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 21, 2001, 09:55 AM   #26
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

And again, since some folks asked...
Old May 20, 2001, 10:08 AM   #27
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Bringing this back up for Nightcrawler...
Old May 20, 2001, 12:43 PM   #28
po boy

Dave Mc
proper mounting involves supporting at least half your
weight on your elbows!!!
Old May 22, 2001, 12:34 PM   #29
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Heard you the first time, po' boy(G).

Old May 23, 2001, 08:06 AM   #30
po boy

sorry Mac
I didn't look at page one and the year old date one track sick mind SORRY!!!!
Old December 3, 2001, 04:06 PM   #31
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Back up for CMichael....
Old December 3, 2001, 08:26 PM   #32
CMichael

Thank you Dave

Michael
Old December 4, 2001, 11:28 PM   #33
Will Beararms

This may not be in line with conventional wisdom but I have found that as long as I naturally point and shoot on instinct with no attention to form, birds die.

It's when I start looking as stances in books, listening to others or getting on the web to look at the latest method that the birds keep flying.

I think everyone is different. Do what kills birds as long as it safe. If you keep missing, change your technique until you get it right.

I keep both eyes open and just wisk the shotgun up to my shoulder from the ready position and nature takes over after that.
It's like driving a car. If you thought about every movement, you would not get put of the driveway.
Old December 5, 2001, 04:48 AM   #34
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

WIll, from your postings I gather you have shot a good amount. Whatever you do works for you. Here we're talking about tyros. Best to start them like this, and groove the form in until it's "instinctive".

And, I too can point and shoot like the Almighty smiting wiht a lightning bolt, but it took a while to get there.
Old December 5, 2001, 07:12 AM   #35
Will Beararms

Here Here
Old December 5, 2001, 09:14 PM   #36
youngun

So, then, it seems like a well-fitted shotgun is really key.
I never put much thought into it, but is there perhaps a book/website on how-to?
Or is it worth whatever they charge to have a pro tailor you?

oyunugnu
Old December 6, 2001, 06:31 AM   #37
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Good fit is essential, Youngun. The Brits have this down to a science, using 1/32" increments, and lots of them shoot very, very well. I'm not sure we have to go to those lengths. Here's a rough and goodenough guide.

Different parameters apply for "Serious" and the myriad forms of recreational shotgunning. I'm going for a GP fit here. Do this with a weapon KNOWN TO BE EMPTY, for obvious reasons.

First, forget that stuff about if the butt is in your elbow and your trigger finger reaches the trigger. Like most myths, it's true sometimes.If you're 5'9", 160 lbs with a 33" shirt sleeve, it's probably true.

Mount the shotgun and hold your position. If there's room for two or three fingers between your nose and the base of your strong side thumb, the length is close.If not, adjust it and try a few fast mounts to make sure.

Next, focus on a fixed point, like where the ceiling and two walls meet in the corner of the room. Close your eyes, and mount the shotgun. Open your eyes. If the shotgun is pointed precisely where you were focussed, it fits. If not, make it so.

One of the nice thing about repeaters over doubles and singles is that most can be adjusted very well by shimming between the receiver and stock. People use toothpicks, pieces of old hulls, cut up credit cards, or my favorite because it's infinitely adjustable, folded aluminum foil. If the pattern's low, add a shim at the bottom of the receiver,etc.

Next, focus on the point again and see if you're lokking right down the bbl. On a GP shotgun, you should be "Flat" down the rib, not seeing much if any rib, just the bead(s). If there's two beads, they should be superposed, or stacked in a figure 8. If you do see some rib, it may shoot a bit high for you. I like them this way. Some don't.

Now, set up your patterning board. Use a 4'X4' piece of paper with an aiming point in the center. Using your ammo of choice, take a few shots and see where the major impact area is. If it's centered or a bit high, Huzzah! You're almost done.

Next, put up a new piece of paper and using a fast mount/fire, see if the POI changes. If so, move things around until you're centered.

For "Serious" use,or for use in cold conditions, the stock's better off if it's a bit short, rather than long. Otherwise, you're all set.

Finally, if this is not helpful, seek the help of a good fitter. Some folks just can't do this themselves, tho most can.

HTH....
Old December 6, 2001, 11:21 AM   #38
Jager1

Ledbetter,

Quote:
Finally, I have suggested to my wife that we go shooting on several occaisions. To date, she appears to prefer that we have sex.
It's guys like you that give credibility to the old saying:

"Sometimes you just have to leave things alone."
Old December 6, 2001, 12:23 PM   #39
ATTICUS

Well at least he now knows the proper mounting technique.
Old December 6, 2001, 11:18 PM   #40
youngun

fit

Well, as regards:

-Length at midpoint, heel and toe (this covers the pitch measurement too),
-Drop at comb and heel,
-Cast at comb, heel, and toe

And Dave's:
Good fit is essential, Youngun. The Brits have this down to a science, using 1/32" increments, and lots of them shoot very, very well. I'm not sure we have to go to those lengths.

...I guess my Q is how critical is a superfit.
I guess the point is simply to be able to hit what your aiming at, and practice enough to do it consistently.

I like the idea of a tailored stock, but I wonder how much better off I would be. (or my wife, even more importantly.)

y
Old December 7, 2001, 06:10 AM   #41
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

My opinion on fit is it's critical for a tyro, very important for everyone else. A recent article on Dan Carlisle mentions him coaching a class of sporting shooters,and using ALL their guns,hitting with ALL of them, despite greatly varying stocks.

But Carlisle raises performance to near magical levels.

A really good shot can do OK with a somewhat off spec stock, but never reach his/her potential. A tyro will have a harder time hitting with a badly fitting stock, become discouraged, get hit harder with recoil, and may not progress and/or quit altogether.

The good news,if the stock is the correct length, drop and equipped with a good pad, all it takes to hit is good form. A fecally cognizant instructor is priceless at this point. So are light loads.

HTH....
Old December 19, 2001, 01:39 PM   #42
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Up for CMichael....
Old July 15, 2002, 05:52 AM   #43
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Back up for KT....
Old August 30, 2002, 08:04 PM   #44
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

And up for various New folks....

I gotta clean up my files, a search yielded 98 PAGES of shotgun stuff I've posted on this BB!

Oi vay is mer...
Old August 31, 2002, 09:51 AM   #45
Jorah Lavin

Dave, very helpful stuff... can I make a tentative

...suggestion?

Quote:
Right now, you're standing facing the target with the shotgun loaded, safety on. Your feet are roughly shoulder width apart, and you advance your support(the foot on the same side as the hand that supports,rather than fires, the weapon) side foot about a foot or so.
I had to learn to point myself where the target WILL BE, when getting ready to shoot clays. In other words, I started with a sort of generic point forward position, then I realized that if I know that the clay will be riiiiiiiight there, then I'd best prepare myself with that in mind, rather than try to adjust later.

Naturally, this only works if the clays are being sent time and again in the same arc, which is the case on the automatic machine at my range. The hand-operated machine (spring driven) might send the target any old place.

My thanks to you for the original post. I suspect that I'm not getting my strong-arm elbow up high enough, which is what is causing the butt to be high on my shoulder. My wife told me that the butt is more than half way above my shoulder when I fire.

I'll try "chicken winging" it a bit more.

-Jorah