The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 27, 2017, 01:41 AM   #26
Ibmikey

Model 12, Good idea to keep the P 64 in a collection as the pistol, is accurate if up close and personal if the shooter can overcome the trigger and absolutely has the worst recoil I have experienced in a small sized pistol which is surprising given it is not chambered for a power house round but is a blow back action.
Old May 27, 2017, 06:17 AM   #27
amd6547

The P64 I have is no safe queen.
I bought mine when they were new to the market...and nobody wanted them.
I knew that the Poles had a reputation for making good firearms, so when I saw a dealer at a gun show selling them for $139, I bought one. Mine was made in 1974, has the triangular hammer, and looked like new.
It amused me that when I was getting my high school diploma, this pistol was patrolling the Warsaw Pact, and in a way, I consider it my Cold War souvenir.
The double action trigger was unusable, but the little pistol proved to be a reliable shooter, and accurate beyond expectation.
I did the spring change, lower hammer spring and stronger recoil spring. This made the P64 much better.
What I find is that the form factor makes the P64 very useful. It is small, and thin. In an IWB holster, it largely disappears. I also bought a Polish issue shoulder holster. This looks cheap and unimpressive by western standards, yet it holds the pistol well, and is very comfortable to wear.
The P64 does have a good kick to it, not fun for an extended Range Trip. But for self defense, who cares?
Finally, during one of the big ammo shortages, the one that found 9mm parabellum and 380acp unobtainable at almost any price, I was able to order all the 9mm Makarov ammo I wanted for $9 a box. My P64 and CZ82 kept me shooting.
Old May 27, 2017, 09:31 AM   #28
robhic

http://www.p64resource.com/forum/

Go there for any and everything you ever want/need to know about the P64. Lots of info plus owner of site makes beautiful leather holsters for P64, other holster ideas, another member makes replacement springs w/instructions for hard-to-find springs (not available from Wolff) and all else you could want!

With a lower trigger-pull weight (try not to go below 18# because some misfires (and/or other issues) and good cleaning those babies are nice. One member makes replacement poly grips (slip-on) that tame the recoil (!!!) a bit and increase grip for better hold. CHECK IT OUT!!!
Old May 27, 2017, 03:06 PM   #29
Cheapshooter

Quote:
and absolutely has the worst recoil I have experienced in a small sized pistol
Quote:
The P64 does have a good kick to it, not fun for an extended Range Trip

I have to take my P64 out for a ride next range trip. But I can't remember any gun I have chambered in 9X18 Makarov being anything bit mild to average in recoil.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 27, 2017, 04:28 PM   #30
robhic

Quote:
I have to take my P64 out for a ride next range trip. But I can't remember any gun I have chambered in 9X18 Makarov being anything bit mild to average in recoil.
See my post #28 (directly above). The P64 does indeed have a stout recoil. And "stout" is being nice! On the site a member ("Polish Iron") makes slip-on poly-foam grips that need no hardware and replace the OEM bakelite grip panels. These grips, alone, will make the P64 MUCH more pleasant to shoot. Believe me!

Git you some if ya gonna do a lotta P64 shootin'!
Old May 27, 2017, 06:49 PM   #31
Doyle

That recoil "snap" is why you need the extra power recoil springs. With the standard spring, the slide has a tendency to bottom out hard against the frame. The stronger recoil spring tends to tame that out.
Old May 28, 2017, 11:10 AM   #32
Cheapshooter

Quote:
The P64 does indeed have a stout recoil.
I have, and shoot a P64, East German Makarov, and CZ82. None of them has a recoil even approaching "stout". All of them are fun shooters.
The 9X18 Makarov is nothing more than a 380 in power, and has minimal to moderate recoil compaired to more powerful rounds.
But of course recoil is subjective, and if you are sensitive to a little bump in your hand I guess you could call it "stout".
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 28, 2017, 11:41 AM   #33
smee78

Nice looking addition, looks like a fun little pocket gun.
Old May 28, 2017, 09:31 PM   #34
Terminatorret

The P64 is is superb CCW AFTER you install and an 18, 19, or 20 pound spring:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRhMnRs6Gi0
It's small, accurate, reliable, robust and all steel. Keep it clean and cherish it.
Old May 29, 2017, 08:34 AM   #35
drobs

My Hungarian PA63 fulfills all my wantings of both a Walther PPK (.380) and any other 9x18 mak caliber pistol.

Horrible ergonomics = awful recoil impulse.

I could see buying a 9x18 CZ82 but missed the days of the cheap surplus imports.

Had a friend over yesterday to shoot. Kid is 20 and in College in California. We blasted through a bunch of rifles - (2 AK's, AR15, M1A). A couple pistols - Glock 19, FN Hi Power, Ruger LC9, and S&W Shield.

Then I broke out some odd balls for him to try out. Let him shoot some 7.62x38R through my Nagant revolver. He mentioned he'd like to shoot a Makarov.

Pulled out the PA63 for him. He commented on the recoil. I shot a mag through to remember why I don't shoot it very often and haven't bought another 9x18 gun since.
Old May 29, 2017, 10:47 AM   #36
Model12Win

Drobs, the PA63 is not a Makarov and a Makarov won't beat you up like a PA63.
Old May 29, 2017, 12:46 PM   #37
drobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model12Win
Drobs, the PA63 is not a Makarov and a Makarov won't beat you up like a PA63.
I'm well aware it's not Makarov.
Old May 29, 2017, 12:55 PM   #38
Model12Win

Well the way I read your last post it sounded like you didn't know the difference between a PA63 and a Makarov since you think all 9x18mm pistols recoil so much.
Old May 29, 2017, 01:11 PM   #39
drobs

I guess I should've gone into more detail of my conversation with him, for the overly literal folk here...

I told him I didn't have a Makarov but I had a gun of the same era and caliber that he could "enjoy."
Old May 29, 2017, 04:04 PM   #40
amd6547

I'm not recoil shy. I enjoy shooting 357mag snubs, for example, and have fired many rounds of 44mag and hot 45colt.
But the P64 is just uncomfortable to shoot. The pinky extension hammers my finger, for example.
Old May 29, 2017, 08:16 PM   #41
Model12Win

Ah ic ic, makes sense.
Old May 30, 2017, 12:07 AM   #42
Ibmikey

Cheapshooter must be one heck of a lot younger than i (I think everyone is) because the P 64 is downright brutal on my body, as is the PA 63. My pile of Makarov pistols do not cause me that difficulty nor does the P 83 and CZ 82's which are pussycats. The Marachall grips on one of my P 64's seems to help a bit with a little more gripping surface and aggressive checkering.
Even my Tokorev pistols in 762x25 are pleasant to fire. I equate shooting the P64 to my Keltec P3AT which is another small packaged beast. My Rem RM 380 is the same size but easy to shoot, SCCY in 9mm is not soft but easily controlled, point being: I am not recoil shy although I no longer go after the real blasters, shoot thousands of 44-40 in Cowboy Shooting and love a 1911 in my paw but for me "P 64's are not fun".