The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 28, 2013, 10:46 PM   #1
bspillman

What are the Best budget shotguns.

As far as price and quality can any one give any insight.
Old July 28, 2013, 10:47 PM   #2
allaroundhunter

What are the Best budget shotguns.

For what purpose?...
Old July 28, 2013, 11:39 PM   #3
bspillman

home defense...
Old July 28, 2013, 11:45 PM   #4
new_camper

Remington 870, mossberg 500, mossberg 590, maverick 88 (made by mossberg)
Old July 29, 2013, 01:31 AM   #5
Doug S

Another vote for the Mossberg 500 / Maverick 88
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle
Old July 29, 2013, 03:33 AM   #6
Bake

I like the Remington 870 Wingmaster, because of the "after market" "goodies.

My Wingmaster started out as the shotgun that I used in "3 Gun Matches" (18" & 20" barrels), added a 26" barrel and shot skeet, used a 30" barrel and a stock with a Monte Carlo stock for trap, and now it has the old 18" barrel & a pistol grip and rides in the truck. Total round count, plus 15,000...
Old July 29, 2013, 07:20 AM   #7
BigD_in_FL

What's the budget?
Old July 29, 2013, 10:33 AM   #8
TB9

and ill throw in the H&R pardner pump protector. ive had mine for 4 yrs. and not a bobble yet paid way less than $200 for it at dicks and i probly got almost that much in ammo through it by now. great gun for the price
Old July 29, 2013, 10:55 AM   #9
Louca

Winchester SXP Defender in 12ga.
Old July 29, 2013, 11:33 AM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Many of us are not fond of the import clone guns going to price point importers... Even if we never handled or owned or even fired them...

These have a tendency to undergo changes during a contract run... Others never have much of a parts support system in the contract...

Often times these guns and their parts get pretty rare soon after a contract ends or an importer goes under of changes hands...

Then you always face the risk that our govt. could impose embargo stipulations on an already shaky ally....

Small arms are often included in these...

It is for the fact that I can buy American at a similar price point from a proven American Company selling a decent quality American Product rather than taking a risk on a gun that isn't "going back to the factory" if it has an issue...

I am a mossberg man since my first projectile emitting device which was a .410 bolt bun with poly choke... The smooth tight bolt was smoother and tighter sliding than any new one in Cabelas including the rifles...

I would own any number of nicer American guns but would have to be used in good shape for a great price or a mis-priced new one...

Brent
Old July 29, 2013, 12:10 PM   #11
Sarge

Pawnshop 870
Old July 29, 2013, 12:16 PM   #12
chriscw81

Re: What are the Best budget shotguns.

You'll be happy with a remi 870 or Mossberg 500, both are great guns. I have the moss 500 only because I prefer the location of the safety.

Chris

Last edited by chriscw81; July 29, 2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old July 29, 2013, 01:22 PM   #13
Panfisher

I have had both Mossberg 500 and Rem 870. The 500A was a shorter barreled synthetic stock 12 ga. that I had installed true glo rifle type sights on. I did like the brutal effeciency of the 500A, however I really like the feel of the 870 better, and after many years of remington shotguns I am quite comfortable with the cross-bolt safety. In reality handle them both and see which one "speaks" to you, better yet if possible find a friend who will let you shoot theirs.
Old July 30, 2013, 07:00 AM   #14
Splice

My used 870 that I spent $230 on is now a $640 gun and is, by my standards at least, badass. It's uniquely my own and I love it, there's still plenty more I want to do to it (new extractor, XS big dot sight, safety, ceracoat, engraving). It's a great gun because it works extremely well with absolutely no modifications, and it's so customizable that you can really make it your own, even on a budget.
Old July 30, 2013, 11:16 AM   #15
PetahW

I would advise staying away from the very inexpensive, though attractive, import guns (some of which carry major brand names like Savage, H&R, CZ, etc), since many have poorly-fitted (and many times unhardened) internal parts; and spare parts are a crapshoot.

As posted, a much better quality US-made gun can be had for the same/less $$$ on the used gun rack - and parts/accessories would be NP.

The import manufacturers are from countries that put more store in appearance than quality/value - why many of those guns are eye candy, made to appeal to the unwary.

Old July 30, 2013, 11:42 AM   #16
BigMike349

Re: What are the Best budget shotguns.

Stoeger and Mossberg would be my go to brands for an inexpensive quality shotgun
Old July 30, 2013, 11:51 AM   #17
BigD_in_FL

Sorry, Stoegers, while a member of the Beretta Holdings Group, are NOT a quality gun. Lots of issues have been reported over the years. This brand, like Charles Daly has succumbed to becoming a cheap price-point import gun, not the top tier guns they both were in the early-mid 1900's
Old July 30, 2013, 11:52 AM   #18
Noreaster

NEF Pardner pump. I bought mine for under $200 and it functions better than my 870.
Old July 30, 2013, 03:07 PM   #19
PetahW

And I'll bet the NEF even gobbles, coming from Turkey.

Old July 30, 2013, 04:43 PM   #20
Waspinator

I think that one particular Mossberg model stands out for a good bang for buck. The Mossberg 500 Persuader, 12 gauge, 6-shot, 18.5" barrel. They can be had for approx $300 depending on where you buy from.

The reason I think it is a good bang-for-buck is the following. The finish of this particular model is a true blued finish, not the more fragile "matte blue" that most entry-level shotguns have these days.

Also, the slide action assembly on this model has a true tube assembly that the forend attaches to. A lot of the entry level Mossbergs (and all Mavericks I believe) have a pinned forend, which means the slides are pinned directly to the forend. This means you cannot easily change out the forend if you wanted to. You would have to buy extra parts if you decided to go that route. Also, the pinned forends have a lot more "slop" to them. Having the tube assembly makes the action tighter and less sloppy, also it is just a matter of unscrewing the compression nut for changing out forends.

Here is the model (#50411). If you look, you can see the better finish and if you look closely, you can see the nut in front of the forend.

http://www.mossberg.com/product/shot...r-6-shot/50411

For reference, here is a Maverick 88 with the pinned forend. If you look closely, you can see there is no nut in front of the forend. Also, look to the rear of the forend and you'll see the pin holding the slide to the forend.

http://www.mossberg.com/product/shot...-purpose/31023

The only reason I bring this up is, I bought a Mossberg 500 from Cabelas. It was a combo deal and while being a great gun that I never had a problem with function wise, the matte finish scratches easily. Also, I wanted to change out the forend for a Hogue rubberized forend. That change over cost me a lot more then I originally thought, because I had the pinned forend and had to buy a tube assembly (aproxx $40 for the tube action slide assembly alone).
Old July 30, 2013, 06:00 PM   #21
Boomer58cal

For cheap... Mossburg. Remi 870's are great too but if you look at a newer one you should check the chamber. I've seen several with rough chambers that required polishing to feed smoothly. Probably pretty rare but I've seen 3 that needed it in the last 5 years.

Boomer
Old July 30, 2013, 11:35 PM   #22
Sarge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petah
And I'll bet the NEF even gobbles, coming from Turkey.
Think of the money you'll save on calls!
Old July 31, 2013, 05:19 AM   #23
jmr40

Benelli Nova
Browning BPS
Mossberg 590
Mossberg 500

In that order of preference.

Some are not really considered "budget" guns, but the OP asked about price AND quailty.
Old July 31, 2013, 07:10 AM   #24
CajunBass

Store brand guns. Sears, J.C. Higgins, Ted Williams, and Revelation are the ones I've got experience with. Only available on the used market of course, but you can get a good gun for not a lot of money with one of them. I've got a couple myself, both from Sears back in the day. One was made by Mossberg, the other by Winchester. I got them years ago, but I see guns like them selling for about $200.00 these days.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old July 31, 2013, 07:59 AM   #25
Onward Allusion

Mossberg 500, Maverick 88, Hawk 981/982, NEF Pardner Protector. All less than $300. The NEF can be had for less than $200.

I'm not too much of a shotgun person, but I can tell you that all of the above beats a Remington Express every time. If you're going the Remington route, don't get the Express.