The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 17, 2012, 10:25 PM   #26
marine6680

In an old revolver caliber not widely used, the older stuff might be all you have.

Flat nosed bullets moving fast can create a large wound channel.

A SWCHP can expand, and if not, its still a SWC.

Now if we are talking say... 9mm... 40... 45...

And the choice was between some Federal Hydra-Shok and Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot, or Winchester PDX1...

I would go with the newer designs.

Its all about consistent performance over wider ranges of conditions.... and the modern hollow points have more consistent performance over wider performance envelopes and scenarios/situations outside of the norm or ideal.
Old September 19, 2012, 12:39 AM   #27
mrt949

Heavy lswc in revolvers .If it was good enough for ELMER KEITH it's good enough for me.
Old September 19, 2012, 09:51 AM   #28
Spats McGee
Staff

Old School Ammo vs. Latest & Greatest?

Yes. Each has its place. I tend towards old school, with .45 acp being my round of choice (for those times when I can carry a full-sized pistol), but I sure do like the looks of some of the modern rounds (Speer Gold Dot, Corbon Powerball, etc).
Old September 21, 2012, 10:32 PM   #29
jad0110

Quote:
In an old revolver caliber not widely used, the older stuff might be all you have.

Flat nosed bullets moving fast can create a large wound channel.

A SWCHP can expand, and if not, its still a SWC.

Now if we are talking say... 9mm... 40... 45...

And the choice was between some Federal Hydra-Shok and Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot, or Winchester PDX1...

I would go with the newer designs.

Its all about consistent performance over wider ranges of conditions.... and the modern hollow points have more consistent performance over wider performance envelopes and scenarios/situations outside of the norm or ideal.
True. Since revolvers don't have to feed ammo, they can have a good old fashioned soft lead semi wadcutter with a huge hollowpoint and work just fine, a design that won't reliably work in many autos which generally have to employ newer technology to work comparatively as well.
Old September 22, 2012, 05:57 PM   #30
Nanuk

For self defense there is no valid reason to use anything but the best available.

That being said, some of the "Old School" rounds are still in that category. 9bple, 125 Grain 357 magnum, 180 Grain Remington JHP 44 Magnum.

I prefer the Gold Dot loadings and someone mentioned "Boutique" and Underwood being expensive. I order my 357 Sig ammo from them and it is less expensive than anywhere else I have found.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old September 22, 2012, 06:20 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt949:
Heavy lswc in revolvers .If it was good enough for ELMER KEITH it's good enough for me.
This is my preference, too. Keith knew his wheelguns.
Old September 22, 2012, 08:38 PM   #32
spanishjames

Cheaper Than Dirt is still selling Federal Hi-Shock 9pm, which some consider old school. I wouldn't feel undergunned using this.

As for modern ammo, I like the Hornady XTP line.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/AMM-4061