The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 2, 2012, 08:56 PM   #1
mcd_sports

Getting a Virgina Non-Res Permit for Texas Concealed Carry?

Anyone done this?

I am not trying to get around learning laws (I've read the laws) or the Range part of the test (hell I love going to the range)... but thinking about the time commitment and the financial commitment, it sure is tempting to go with a Virginia Non-Resident Conceal Carry Permit. Texas is 10 to 15 hours or time versus a 1 hr online course for Virginia. For costs... the Texas license by the time I do the course, the filing fee, ammo for test, and finger-printing is around $260. Virginia is around $160. Reported turnaround time is around 15 days quicker as well.

From what I see this is perfectly legal and would only affect carrying into a few states (Colorado, Florida, and a couple others).

What are y'alls thoughts?
Old June 2, 2012, 10:59 PM   #2
Don H

With an Virginia non-resident permit you will be in violation of the federal GFSZ Act if you get within 1,000 feet of a school. The federal exemption only applies to those with a permit from the state in which the school zone is located:
Quote:
18 USC 922(q)2(A)
It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

(B)Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—
(i)on private property not part of school grounds;

(ii)if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
This may or may not be of concern to you but it is something of which you should be aware.
Old June 2, 2012, 11:20 PM   #3
ProShooter

Quote:
1 hr online course for Virginia.
Please don't waste your time and money on this crap. Use the money towards taking a real course with a live instructor. These online classes are all a money making joke.
www.ProactiveShooters.com
Old June 2, 2012, 11:40 PM   #4
TXAZ

Life will be much simpler if you just get the Texas permit, including the lower chance for surprises.
And with the Texas permit you can avoid the metal detectors in many buildings in the state.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old June 3, 2012, 10:36 AM   #5
mcd_sports

I really think this is more of a general question than a law question, but anyway...

Thanks for the input. I knew there had to be things I was not thinking of (thanks Don H)... I'm a couple months away from making any decision, but this swings me back toward sticking with a Texas permit.
Old June 3, 2012, 06:16 PM   #6
press1280

I don't know about TX, but I do know many states will not let you carry on someone else's permit. I'm assuming you've already verified TX doesn't care as long as the permit is a recognized one?
Old June 4, 2012, 01:35 AM   #7
hermannr

FL and MI I think are the one's that require a non-resident to have a permit from the state they reside in. There are other states that will not allow their own residents to carry on another state's permit.. I don't know if TX is one of those or not...

But, if you are looking for an inexpensive easy, no training required, Non-resident permit that is recognized by TX, go for a PA or WA Non-resident permit. The only restriction is you have to apply in person...so if you ever travel to PA or WA, stop at the local Sheriff's office and plunk down small change. (way cheaper than anyone else's, PA is $20 and WA is $55.25)
Old June 4, 2012, 05:41 AM   #8
press1280

ME,NH,CO, and SC also have that rule, so if the OP plans to go there he needs to have a TX permit.
Old June 4, 2012, 10:41 PM   #9
hermannr

After a little more research, I will agree on CO, NH and SC, but I question Maine and Florida...(I know I was the one that mentioned FL first)

MI and NH flat do not issue Non-res permits, CO and SC issue modified Res permits in very specific cases...BUT

Both Maine and Florida freely (but not free) issue non-res permits of their own...so, they are not going to honor their own non-res permit????? I don't think so...I think they will honor their own non-res permit, just no-one elses.

Probably the most interesting one is WI. The will recognize a VA non-resident permit, but not a VA resident permit????
Old June 5, 2012, 10:46 AM   #10
press1280

NH issues non-resident permits through mail.Maine and FL honor their own out-of-state permits of course, but they won't honor a TX resident who only has a VA permit(the TX resident must have a TX permit).
The WI thing is due to a different background check between VA residents and non-VA residents.
Old June 5, 2012, 04:26 PM   #11
AH.74

I am of the firm belief that no matter how many other states' licenses you wish to pursue and obtain, your primary license should always be the one from your home state.

Bite the bullet and get the TX license. It will serve you best.
Old June 5, 2012, 06:47 PM   #12
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I didn't know Maine recognized any other state's permit. I thought that was why they issue non-resident permits.