The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 25, 2000, 11:36 AM   #1
anodes

A repost from "The Art of the Rifle":

In my unended quest (as yet) to find a cheap milsurp .308 bolt gun I have come across a "Modelo 1912, Styer Waffenbrek(sp), Austria" with 7.62 stamped on the receiver. I'm assuming that refers to the .308win.
It seems to have a good bore, though dirty.
There is no other info I have on this rifle.

Could this typical Mauser action withstand the pressures of the .308?

Can anyone describe the pedigree of such a beast?

Price?

This rifle has been painted (yes, painted) and I will be stripping it off. Aside from hand sanding, what is an alternate approach?
TIA
anodes.

NOTE: I'm pretty sure 7.62 is refering to the .308Win as I've seen the strippers and ammo.
anodes.
Old August 25, 2000, 12:56 PM   #2
Jim V

Does it have "1962" etched on the receiver with an electric pencil and does it have a crest? If it has a crest, what does it look like?

I have a Steyr built Mauser that was rebarreled with an old 2 groove Springfield barrle that had been set back and chambered for the 7.62*51 round.

The rifle is very accurate and I enjoy shooting it very much, I only wish I had of bought a couple more when they were offered.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"
Old August 25, 2000, 01:04 PM   #3
anodes

Jim V, Thanks for the reply, no. The reciever is clean except for what looks to be a stamped "7.62" and a crest that could be a highly stylized eagle. Done very nicely, etched or engraved as compaired to the stamped #'s. Perhaps the crest of the King of Austria, or that of Styer? The bbl would appear to be original as it has bayo lug and one other small "hook-like" projection.
anodes.
Old August 25, 2000, 02:21 PM   #4
Paul B.

Jim V. I have one of those rifles too. My 1912-61 appears to be stamped, rather than done with an electric pencil Underneath the 1912-61, it says NATO in caps.
Barrel on mine is a two groove as well, although in very crappy shape. I haven't shot it yet. See my comments on Steyr Mausers in the rifles section.
Paul B.