The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 5, 2005, 02:18 PM   #1
Thom Rushing

Disassembly?

I am new to firearms and I just received an old Winchester 121d .22 single shot bolt action. I would like to clean and oil everything before I go try it out. I have the stock off of the gun to check everything out but I would like to know how to remove the bolt action to clean and oil in there. Any help would be great and any other suggetions for me since the rifle has not been fired in a long long time. There is no rust but I want to make sure everything is right.

Thanks
Thom
Muskegon MI
Old February 7, 2005, 10:28 AM   #2
Thom Rushing

Anyone out there that an help me out with this?
Old February 7, 2005, 08:05 PM   #3
cntryboy1289

few questions

From what I can see on the Numrich schematic, I would place a drop of oil in the race ways of the bolt and maybe the cocking piece of the bolt if you get it out of the gun and thats about the only place. I am not sure about how the bolt comes out of the gun. Some guns, you pull the trigger and the bolt will come out of the back. I haven't see anything else that would let it come out on the schematic. I never oil triggers, sears, or the magazine. It doesn't have the complete bolt in the diagram, so I cannot advise how to remove the bolts inner workings, but I usually don't oil the inside of the bolt anyway and don't break them down to clean unless there is a lot of carbon build up on the bolt face. Look it up for yourself on Numrich's web site, it may be of help to you.
Old February 7, 2005, 08:43 PM   #4
Thom Rushing

Thanks for the input. I will try that.
Thom