The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 22, 2005, 10:25 AM   #1
Para Bellum

EFMJ vs Hollow Point or other designes for self defense ammo

I like the EFMJs and tested them myself (online results)

Now I have read and seen more and more on this fine ammo and I can't imagine any other cartridge I should prefer over the 9x19mm EFMJ for self defense purposes. What do you think? Would you prefer a Hydra-Shok or Ranger or something else still?

Deutsche Jagt Zeitung (German Hunting Journal) recently tested the 9x19mm EFMJ and called it an excellent cartdidge for finishing shot/ coup de grâce purposes.

Here a pic of a 9x19mm 124gr EFMJ going throgh 1" of gelatine:

or some plywood:

Back in 2001 a thread here opened with the following statement:
Quote:
9MM EFMJ beats most .45 ACP JHP for wound channel volume
unfortunately the link it cited seems to be down by now.

So, opinins, input and discussion please.
As of now I believe the 9x19 124gr EMFJ in comparison with a Glock 19 to be best choice for a concealed carry defense gun (just IMHO)
Old July 22, 2005, 11:09 AM   #2
shield20

So what was the truth behind the wound channel size...did you get it figured out? What about EFMJ in .45? Is that better (i.e. bigger channel) then in 9mm? Any penetration numbers for the different EFMJ available for comparison to other jhp?

Real quick I tried a LITTLE of the 45 efmj in my XSE yesterday - seemed ok but the last round hung up (didn't go fully into battery) - could be the mag, or the lighter round - need to test more, but at over $17 for 20 vs under $12 for the 200gr TAP I just fell in love with, it is a tough sell.
Old July 22, 2005, 12:05 PM   #3
Para Bellum

Unfortunately I don't have and/or didn't find more info that I posted... I'll try to send the original poster a message...
Old July 22, 2005, 12:16 PM   #4
shield20

No problem - thought it was you who originally posted that old thread!

Also, I just realized EFMJ atleast at 1 time came in different configurations - the ones I shot were 165gr.
Old July 22, 2005, 12:33 PM   #5
CarbineCaleb

I think the EFMJs are indeed a good defense round - but they don't seem to be available in many chamberings.

Also I don't know how they would compare to today's Speer Gold Dot, which is really the gold standard in conventional designs, and is widely available, with plenty of chamberings. Gold Dots invariably perform well in independent tests.

I have seen at least a couple of failures for both the Gold Dot and the EFMJ in such tests, but both seem to perform very well overall - nothing is perfect (despite what Speer or Federal may say ). My intuition is that these two are about on par.
Old July 22, 2005, 12:34 PM   #6
PaladinX13

Relevant to me is that EFMJ is New Jersey legal, while hollow-points, unfortunately, are not.
Old July 22, 2005, 12:41 PM   #7
Sturmgewehr-58

I don't want a bullet that will deform and begin tumbling after going through 3/4" plywood. I can think of several self-defense scenarios that would require shooting through light cover, such as car doors.
Thus saith the Lord GOD; This is Jerusalem: I have set it in the midst of the nations and countries that are round about her. And she hath changed my judgments into wickedness more than the nations, and my statutes more than the countries that are round about her: for they have refused my judgments and my statutes, they have not walked in them.
Ezekiel 5:5-6
Old July 22, 2005, 12:58 PM   #8
Para Bellum

Quote:
I don't want a bullet that will deform and begin tumbling after going through 3/4" plywood. I can think of several self-defense scenarios that would require shooting through light cover, such as car doors.
...and which ammo meets you criteria (9x19mm)?
Old July 22, 2005, 01:56 PM   #9
Sturmgewehr-58

Quote:
...and which ammo meets you criteria (9x19mm)?
Given the choice between EFMJ and FMJ, I would take the FMJ. The cavity of most hollowpoint ammuntion will plug when fired through wood, and will act as FMJ anyway.

I would choose a round that will penetrate a minimum of 15". If the round can expand and still pentrate that deep, even better. How far do you think the EFMJ round will penetrate a torso after going through a piece of 3/4" plywood? From the picture, it is obvious the plywood has deformed and destabilized the projectile.

If this ammuntion costs about $0.85 a round, I have to wonder how much I am paying for that company's marketing. Something called "Tactical EFMJ" makes me wonder even more.
Thus saith the Lord GOD; This is Jerusalem: I have set it in the midst of the nations and countries that are round about her. And she hath changed my judgments into wickedness more than the nations, and my statutes more than the countries that are round about her: for they have refused my judgments and my statutes, they have not walked in them.
Ezekiel 5:5-6
Old July 22, 2005, 02:29 PM   #10
Sulaco2

Moving around the country means not knowing from each jurisdiction to jurisdiction what is "legal" and what is not in terms of ammo. The EFMJ is "legal" everywhere as far as I know where its legal to have a gun, cop or citizen. Its my travel load when flying or driving as a citizen. Even on duty out of my home state I think its a safe load for legal carry...
Old July 22, 2005, 02:38 PM   #11
Mark54g

Wouldn't Cor-Bon's Pow'rBall be NJ legal too? How do EMFJs compare to the Cor-Bon stuff?
Old July 22, 2005, 02:58 PM   #12
Para Bellum

Quote:
Given the choice between EFMJ and FMJ, I would take the FMJ. The cavity of most hollowpoint ammuntion will plug when fired through wood, and will act as FMJ anyway.
I wouldn't want to take the risk of killin or hurting innocent bystanders behind my tarket unsing FMJ. I also believe that EMJs are much less effective and would rather carry a 12ga shotgun than any handgun with FMJs.

Quote:
Also, I just realized EFMJ atleast at 1 time came in different configurations - the ones I shot were 165gr.
In 9x19mm there's a 124gr type (law enforcement website) and a 105gr type. In Austria we can only buy the 124gr stuff...
.40 and .45 EFMJ are heavier...