The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 3, 2018, 06:37 PM   #1
Catfishman

Remington 742 stuck case

A friend of Mine called and told me his Remington 742 30-06 has a spent casing stuck in the chamber with the rear of the casing ripped off by the extractor. He got it out only to have it happen again. Any ideas how to repair this was causing it?
Old November 3, 2018, 06:48 PM   #2
sako2

How many times where they reloaded? Time for some new cases.
Old November 3, 2018, 06:58 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'd plug the case neck with paper towel. Then pour in Cerrosafe (the low melt point metal used for chamber casting). With the jag in place, drop in the ramrod from the muzzle end and pop it right out.

Sako2 may have a point regarding reloaded ammo. I was given a box of reloaded 30 carbine. I only fired two shots. First shot the casehead ripped off. Did the cerrosafe and popped out the case. Second shot same results. Did cerrosafe again. I'm going to pull the bullets, use the powder for fertilizer and save the brass for melting (good for blackpowder buttplates, trigger guards, and other long rifle brass parts).
Old November 3, 2018, 07:11 PM   #4
sako2

If it's new brass don't shoot it any more. And have a gunsmith check the headspacing on the gun. What he is experiencing is called case head separation.
Old November 3, 2018, 08:41 PM   #5
gw44

Wow that really sounds like headspaing it needs to be checked out before it's shot again !!!
Old November 4, 2018, 06:50 AM   #6
Fla_dogman

This is caused by pitting in the chamber. 742's are notorious for it. It was so bad in the 80's that Remington had a program to basically buy it back (sort of). I've tried honing, lubing and anything else my gunsmith could think of but with no success. I finally sent it back to Remington. A friend of mine was able to keep shooting his for a few years by using nickel casings.
You can try removing the barrel and really honing or brushing it out, maybe it's not too bad yet to save.

BTW, Remington was out of barrels the last I heard. But you could check

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Old November 4, 2018, 07:14 AM   #7
dahermit

If my memory is correct, 742's have a notorious reputation for casings sticking in the chamber due to unburned powder and firing residue in the chamber. My brother showed me some casings fired in his 742 and they were dimpled from residue in the chamber. I advised him to keep the chamber clean and that ended his problem with sticking cases with the rims torn off.
Old November 4, 2018, 09:21 AM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

If the chamber is not pitted, it sounds like the extraction force is pretty rapidly and violently applied and you may be able to tame that enough by sticking to Garand type loads. That is, avoid any powder whose maximum charge weight is over about 53 grains. Avoid the 180 grain and heavier bullets. With a 742's 22" barrel, run 150 grain bullets not over about 2750 fps MV and 165 grain bullets not over about 2650 fps MV for 24" barrel. Powders like IMR4895 and H4895's, IMR4064 and Varget are in the right burn rate range. The 150 grain bullets will provide lower gas impulse than heavies, so you can check some 150 grain loads of the sort I've described to see if that stops the problem?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 5, 2018, 07:11 AM   #9
Mobuck

I had a customer who was having a similar problem with a 7400 in 270. Questions were answered when I discovered he'd been loading heavy charges of slow powder to max level. High port pressure coupled with sticky extraction may be the culprit.
Old November 5, 2018, 09:41 AM   #10
bamaranger

pitting

A pitted or corroded chamber has been my experience too w/ the 742 family. The Remington autoloader will not tolerate any sort of neglect to the chamber concerning moisture or failing to be cleaned allowing carbon to reside and collect moisture over a period of time. I've fooled with 2-3 of them for acquaintances over the years that had the same issue described in the OP.

You get one wet, or shoot one, period, ...... wet or dry, .....you gotta clean it. The Remington auto rifle is a blue collar deer gun here, guys who cannot afford a BAR, buy the Remington, they are very common. The fast second shots available from the auto was a desirable thing back when hound hunting was popular........not so much now. But those who do not pay attention to their bore and chamber pay the price. Carefully maintained, they are serviceable autos,........but one cannot miss a beat caring for one.

Polishing the chamber is an option, and nickel cases as suggested helps some. So too, if you lightly lube brass cases, ie a wipe down, NOT dousing them, but that is only a superficial fix.
Old November 27, 2018, 01:57 PM   #11
SGW Gunsmith

When purchased **NEW** Remington provided a chamber brush for every Remington 742 sold. Wonder why.
Here in Northwestern Wisconsin, during the 60's and up into the 90's, the Remington 742 and 760 rifles were extremely popular for whitetail. It can get pretty dang cold during deer season, so consider, when firing a .30-06 round in a cold chamber, the chamber will get a bit warm. As it cools down quickly, condensation will get involved. So, the post above mentioning the chamber being cleaned ASAP after firing, the longer your chamber will be rust pit free.

During the off season, keep the chamber and bore oiled. That simple bit of maintenance will guarantee that your grandchildren will be able to use those Remington 742 rifles thereafter.

I do remember that recall of 742 rifles by Remington back in the day. If you were to send them your 742 along with a check for $350.00, they would send you a brand new Remington 7400 rifle.
I bought quite a few of the 742 stocks and forearms, trigger groups and sights for some really GOOD prices. Stocks cost around $15.00, and they were perfect for cutting to length for junior until he grew tall enough to use the original butt-stock.