The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old November 6, 2015, 04:14 AM   #1
inasia

inherited this M1

Hey guys, i just kind of inherited this:
M1 Garand HRA 5567990 Collector Grade

can anyone tell me what something like this is worth... any info would be awesome and i am looking forward to taking it out to the range...
Old November 6, 2015, 05:50 AM   #2
HiBC

What it is worth may be "priceless" if that is what it is worth to you.
Other than that,it is worth the the highest offer that you will accept.
Smart alec answer,yes.
If you go to a gunshow,and look at the dealer asking prices???It might be $3800.00.
Take it to a local gun store or pawn shop,they may offer $300.

I will send you to the Civilan Marksmanship Program web page.Browse a while.

They are the best deal on Garands.

I would guess you will be fortunate enough to get a reply from Mr kraigwy here. He is all about M1 Garands and those who shoot them.
He is a gentleman worth paying attention to.

A caution:This is standard M1 Garand advice.They were built for a particular specification of ammo.It is important that the pressure that is tapped off into the gas cylinder near the muzzle is in the proper pressure range.

If the pressure is too high,it will abuse and damage that long operating rod that goes from the gas cylinder to the bolt and receiver.

This is important because the 30-06 ammo for hunting that you buy at the local gun store will LIKELY have excessive gas pressure at the gas port and likely will damage your rifle.Don't use that stuff!!
(You will hear more on this.there are"workaround" special gas cylinder lock screws,etc.Be careful)

If you join the CMP,they havea deal on Greek Ammo right now.It comes in the 8 round clips your rifle uses.

There is some match ammo available in Garand spec.I think Hornady makes it.

Handloading is what I do.There are recipes available that duplicate original spec ammo.
I hope you will treasure that rifle and take care of it as a piece of history,and something passed down to you.Learn all you can about it,Enjoy.
Maybe you can attend a CMP Vintage Garand clinic.
The CMP has a facebook page,too.
Oh,PS.Some older US military and some foreign military ammo will have corrosive primers.You need to learn about those.Proper cleaning is essential or your rifle will be rusted to ruin.
Old November 6, 2015, 05:59 AM   #3
Orlando

Do you have have DCM or CMP saying its a collector grade? If not it cannot be valued as one .
If no paperwork there is no way to give a accurate estimate without pictures and a full breakdown of parts $850- $1900
Old November 6, 2015, 06:53 AM   #4
inasia

M1 Garand

It has all the papers for it as a collectors grade...

so let me ask the question again.... hey guys, i just kind of inherited this:
M1 Garand HRA 5567990 Collector Grade

can anyone tell me what something like this is worth... any info would be awesome and i am looking forward to taking it out to the range...
Old November 6, 2015, 08:22 AM   #5
Dave P

"so let me ask the question again.... "

What was the question??
Old November 6, 2015, 10:04 AM   #6
springer99

I'd venture a guess and say that someone who collects M1's would offer something in the range of $1400-2000 for a collector HRA rifle with CMP papers. Bear in mind that this is a very late mfg. rifle build after the Korean conflict, so it probably is less valuable than a Springfield or Winchester M1 built in the 1940's. Asking your question on the CMP forum will get you better info.

Probably will be a great shooter for you though in NRA vintage matches.
Old November 6, 2015, 10:40 AM   #7
mapsjanhere

If it's a late manufacture collector grade it's expected to be in near unissued condition. You're expecting someone to pay a $1000 surcharge for that over a run-off-the-mill gun. I'd put it in the safe and get a $650 shooter for the range.
Old November 6, 2015, 10:47 AM   #8
emcon5

It is basically a really nice example of the least desirable M1, a post Korean war H&R.
Old November 6, 2015, 12:24 PM   #9
kilimanjaro

Its 'least desirable' to a die-hard advanced collector looking for WWII or Korean War cachet on his M1. Those conflicts pretty well ensured that Collector Grade M1s of the era are rare. A post-Korea M1 is what is available to 97% of the collector market.

Don't shoot it, keep all the papers and box, and if you feel the need to shoot an M1, go buy a lesser grade and enjoy it.

You're looking at about $1500-$1850 in value today. In a few years, more. We'll be looking at $2,500 M1s in Collector Grade in not a long time hence.
Old November 6, 2015, 12:29 PM   #10
ripnbst

A sell it in under 24 hours on the internet value would be $1000. The higher end if you could find someone who knew M1 garand are collectible but doesn't know too much other than yours is a very nice one you could probably fetch $2000. Someone who really knows what they are looking at and knows the value on the high end it's probably worth more like $1600ish.

I would echo the others and say dont shoot it. Hold onto it pulling it out of a safe quarterly or bi-annually to admire, put a fresh coat of oil on and then put back. This rifle will do nothing but go up in value.
Old November 6, 2015, 02:16 PM   #11
T. O'Heir

HRA Service GradeM1s are running between $1800ish to $2700ish depending on what needs doing to it(Apparently by how much Cosmoline needs removing) on the CMP auction site.
There's one HRA Collector Grade on the 2nd page running at $1,216.22. http://cmpauction.thecmp.org/catalog...62&n=M1-Garand
Kind of curious why they have a currency converter when they have their silly citizenship requirement. snicker.
Old November 6, 2015, 02:31 PM   #12
Kosh75287

Unfortunately, what was said about the rifle being worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it may be as unhelpful as it is true. For purposes of appraisal for insurance purposes, I suggest a careful study of what's being asked for similar pieces in similar conditions, and aiming for the middle of that price range. If there's something about the rifle that leads you to believe it would command prices toward the higher end, move the value toward that.

It sounds like you're being advised not to shoot it, by people who know a lot more about Garand collector values than I know. I'd follow their advice. If it's unfired, it needs to remain that way. The first round through the barrel could plummet its appraisal value, by a viscerally painful value.

انجلو. المسلحة. جاهزة. Carpe SCOTCH!
Old November 6, 2015, 04:08 PM   #13
Orlando

Alot of crazy numbrs being thrown around here . CMP Service Grades are $730 everyday at CMP.
Correct Grades were receintly sold at the South Store for $1500
Collector Grades havent been available for years except occasionall at CMP auction which are not a good way of telling everyfay selling prices as they are inflated buy buyers with more money than common sense
Alot depends on your rifles present condition now but without seeing I would give a rough estimate of $1800 "if" you do have a CMP certificate staing that its a Collector Grade and its still has all original parts. You never know parts could have been changed since sold
There was also a guy receintly that was forging CMP certificates. He would buy Service Grades and swap parts on them to make them "correct" and selling them as original Collector Grades. He got caught red handed
You can send a request to CMP and ask if the rifle was sold as a Collector grade, this serivce will cots you $25 for the research

Last edited by Orlando; November 6, 2015 at 04:16 PM.
Old November 6, 2015, 08:52 PM   #14
inasia

Thanks on the info

Hey Guys...

Thanks so much on the info... just trying to learn my way around all of this...

inasia

Tags
collector grade , hra , m1 garand