The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 16, 2013, 06:43 PM   #1
cdoc42

Kimber sight change

I have night sights on my Kimber TLE-II .45 ACP. I went to my first IDPA match and I didn't do badly, but my 7th decade eyes can't see the front sight in daylight as well as I'd like, so I sent away for a fiber optic Kimber front sight. Can anyone tell me if this is difficult to change and install or will I need a gunsmith? Than ks!
Old February 17, 2013, 08:40 PM   #2
p3scuba

I had Meprolight sights put on my ultra carry 2 from a gunsmith. I have been told that Kimber sights are very tight and for the money i spent for the gun i didnt feel like destroying the new night sights or damaging the slide of the gun. God luck.
Old February 20, 2013, 02:25 PM   #3
bikerbill

I had a local smith replace my UCII sights with fiber optics ... he had to shim the front a bit, but they are dead on POA at 7-10 yards and a hell of a lot easier to see than the old all-black ones ...
Old February 20, 2013, 06:31 PM   #4
Gaerek

For something like that, I wouldn't personally do it myself. Find a LGS in town that will install for free after purchase. I've done that on several guns myself.
Old February 20, 2013, 11:11 PM   #5
orionengnr

If they are the original sights, they are probably on there pretty snug.

I've been part of three Kimber 1911 sight changes, and we got the first two done without damaging the pistols--first mine, then a friend's. Third and most recent one was the same friend's brand new Kimber. Brass punches wouldn't move it, and I didn't want to scratch his new gun, so he took it to a pro. Cost $50, but looks great, and we knew and observed our limitations.