The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 20, 2006, 12:41 AM   #1
9mm_prn

Convert any semi auto to FA?

Went to the PDX gunshow last weekend and saw a product that attaches to your trigger gaurd. Apparently you use the trigger like you normally would. Not one of those seperate plastic triggers that mounts below the trigger gaurd.

I took a few minutes to watch the video they had running to demo the product and it seemed to work great. $35.00.

Can anyone tell me more about this product. I should have asked for a brochure...
Old March 20, 2006, 01:17 AM   #2
Crosshair

I have no idea how that product would work and how it would even be legal. The cranks are legal, but anything that lets you hold down a trigger and let it keep shooting is a no-no.
Old March 20, 2006, 03:22 AM   #3
BerettaCougar

The hellfire system is legal....and it's also stupid... and unreliable.

I know people that can bump fire, AK's and AR's as fast as a full auto....accurate?? nah, the way they hold the gun makes it kind of hard to hit anything...
Old March 20, 2006, 08:38 AM   #4
gunmoney

I have one and it enables you to pull the trigger at a very high rate. It is very tricky to get to work right and not accurate. The up side is that the more you do work with it you can learn to control it and get more and more accurate. If it will be just a toy it will not be effective, if you work with it you may have some luck. Use good ammo too.
Old March 20, 2006, 01:19 PM   #5
squirrelboy18

I saw one like that at our gun show here in Columbia, SC. IT was called the TAC trigger I think.
Old March 21, 2006, 12:57 PM   #6
9mm_prn

squirrelboy18, I think that was the one.
Old March 22, 2006, 07:57 AM   #7
mxwelch

gunmoney is spot on. They are fun but hard to get used to.

As long as you depress the trigger for every shot it's legal. If something other than a finger is in there you're looking at a Class 4 felony. Based on my research.
Old March 22, 2006, 08:41 AM   #8
Chris Phelps

Quote:
As long as you depress the trigger for every shot it's legal. If something other than a finger is in there you're looking at a Class 4 felony. Based on my research.

My understanding was that it is illegal to "permanently modify" your rifle to shoot full auto. Devices that attach to your trigger such as this, or a crank, are perfectly legal, since the trigger still has to be pressed once for each shot.
Bushmaster Superlight AR-15 5.56mm / Custom 24" Heavy BBL Varmint AR-15 5.56mm / Ruger M77 .257 Roberts / Ruger MKI 22LR Pistol / EAA Witness 9mm Pistol / Daisy 2202 22LR / Remington Viper 522 22LR / Stevens 200 .223 / Savage 10FP 24" .308 / Mauser 98 Sporter 30-06
Old March 22, 2006, 10:33 AM   #9
shaggy

Quote:
My understanding was that it is illegal to "permanently modify" your rifle to shoot full auto.
It has nothing to do with the permanency of the modification, or whether its a modification to the rifle. A single part that does not modify the receiver in any way (and which can be removed at any time) can be a machinegun in and of itself. The crux of the matter is whether the firearm will fire more than one shot per single pull of the trigger, or whether the conversion part (or parts) will allow a firearm to fire more than one shot per single pull of the trigger. You are absolutely correct as to why things like the tac-trigger and the hellfire are legal - you still only get one shot per pull of the trigger.