The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 9, 2018, 11:03 PM   #1
colorado68

Pedersoli 45-120 keep or sell?

Hi Folks,

First time posting

My dad introduced me to BP flint& percussion at 12.
Said shooting these will teach you to not flinch and carry you through your shots. He was right.
While he had many large cal. rifles, he always wanted a 45-120 Sharps.
He passed away when I was 23.

Fast forward 30 years, on impulse I bought a Pedersoli 45-120 and haven't shot it.
It's heavy, like 13 lbs. Nothing I would carry though the mountains for hunting.
So BPCR would be my preference with this rifle.
I don't have soule tang sights, which from research seems I'd need to compete.

It came with 40 rounds of smokeless 510gr, 20 rounds BP factory 535gr and 40 brass. I'm not set up for reloadng the 3 1/4".
Not sure the smokeless (Ten-X) factory will work in this rifle.

I regularly target practice/hunt with a CZ 550 300 win mag and a 54 Cal. Great Plains Hunter Flintlock loaded with 348gr powerbelt and 110gr FFF .

While I can handle shooting these other two rifles about 20 rounds, that's my max before I'm too sore. Predicting the 45-120 would be similar or more for felt recoil.

I'd like to get into some competing 1000 yard rifle matches, but I'm not sure investing in peep sights/reloading equip and the 45-120 is the way to go.

Would like to hear from other more experienced shooters on their thoughts/recommendations to keep or sell.

Thank you.
Old February 10, 2018, 01:05 AM   #2
HiBC

I can't tell you.
I suggest getting the SPG bullet lube booklet on shooting BPCR's
I suggest getting Mike Venturino's book "Shooting the Black Powder Cartridge Rifle"
You will have a better experience if you know what you are doing. Very little of loading smokeless modern rounds applies.

At the range,I suggest you decap your brass.Have a large container with a screw top lid 2/3 full of a simple green solution.Toss your decapped brass in before you leave the range. Scrub,rinse and dry your brass when you get home. Test tube brush!

Find other folks that shoot them.Thats the way you are most likely to have fun and be successful.
If you choose to sell,there is your market.Pedersoli makes a pretty darn good gun.

I can't say this is true,it might be. I made it up. Black powder charge weight is a little bit like getting an engine fuel ratio right. There is rich,lean,and just right.
Somebody figured out that about 70 gr of BP is efficient in the 45 cal rifle.
A fairly large number of shots can be fired without absolutely requiring bore swabbing. As the charge goes up,the number of rounds you can fire before fouling is a problem comes down.I have never even fired a 45-120,so take this with a grain of salt.Its just my theory.
Old February 10, 2018, 03:22 AM   #3
Scorch

Quote:
Find other folks that shoot them.Thats the way you are most likely to have fun and be successful.
This is possibly some of the best advice for taking up any new shooting sport. If you don't know what you are doing wrong, the whole thing gets impossibly frustrating pretty quickly.
Quote:
I'd like to get into some competing 1000 yard rifle matches,
Again, you will appreciate someone showing you the ropes.
Old February 10, 2018, 11:28 AM   #4
ocharry

i think for me if my dad always wanted one,,

i would have to keep it and learn and play with it just to honor him,,,and you know when it goes off he will be smiling,,,there is nothing and i mean nothing like the sound of the big black powder guns going off

i have shot the BPCG guns for many years,,,45-70 ,,45-90,,and i have lots of dust collectors to show i have been there ,,but never that cigar like you have 45-120,,,i can tell you,,,you will need a blow tube to keep the fouling soft if you can,,,and in that cartridge there will be plenty of that,,,,

i will also tell you that good sights are a must,,,all my rifles wear Montana Vintage Soule rear and a couple have the wind gage front from them,,all the fronts have a level on them,,,they are a precision instrument,,,dont get sticker shock,,,expensive yes,,,,worth it YES

i would also suggest for you to start at shorter range,,2-300 yards,, to learn and work on loads,,,you WILL be loading for this rifle,,,,this round,,, 45-120 is ,,,,umm a hard one to get right,,,it will make lots of fouling,,,it will confound you and piss you off,,,,and it will kick the you now what out of you,,,especially if you shout it prone,,its heavy for a reason

you need to know what kind of throat and twist rate the barrel has,,,it could have a paper patch throat,,,you might need to know that when working on load development ,,,it will most likely want the heavy bullets,,,530-550,,maybe more,,,in postel configuration,,,but dont limit it to just that shape,,,it could like something else

i can also tell you that these guns trajectory is measured in feet,,,,the farther out the more feet,,,think 50+ for maybe 1000 and something most people dont think of is ,,strike window,,,at 1000 yrds,,the strike window is just a few feet maybe 2-5 feet front to back,,,the bullet is coming down out of trajectory like a mortar,,,pretty steep,,,so the farther you go to shorter the strike window which makes another thing to deal with,,,lol along with all the others,,fouling,,wind ,,sun,,fouling...

like HiBC said you need some good reading to soak up,,,he has recommended some good stuff,, i might also recommend Paul A Matthews,,he has several books,,,,they all are good,,and you need a good knowledgeable crowd to run with too just because there is a lot to learn,,,like he said,,,,they will get you through the ruff time when you say aww the hell with it,,,,BUT

you know your DAD will be setting there right beside you when you are working up your load,,,,and when you are MAKING SMOKE,,,,grinning his donkey off

do it for your DAD

my .02

ocharry
Old February 10, 2018, 11:34 AM   #5
Hawg

If you're not going to shoot it sell it. I'm sure your dad would want you out shooting it. I would love to have one but my finances won't allow it.
Old February 10, 2018, 09:26 PM   #6
colorado68

Thanks for the replies folks.

ocharry, thank you, your response made a lot of sense and resonated.

While I'd like to be proficient shooting this gun, I think it would take a lot of commitment and cost to do so to perfect.

I'll certainly shoot it once before selling and get that dad grin, but can't justify the added expense and dedication to use this rifle to potential.

Sure my dad will be laughing on my first shot, but smiling with my decision.

Thanks for replies all, you've helped a lot.
Old February 11, 2018, 01:16 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

Yep. If my pop wanted one, I'd be looking into BP Cartridge shooting.
"...take a lot of commitment and cost to do so..." No moreso than any other kind of shooting. Mind you, 45-120 brass isn't cheap. Only comes from Norma too. $56 per 25. Midway or Graf's. Buffalo Arms wants $185 per 100.
Old February 11, 2018, 05:43 PM   #8
ocharry

Colorado....I didn't mean to talk you out of reloading or shooting your gun....all you really need to reload for this...if your intension is for target shooting is a press with enough throat to handle that long case and a compression die....once the cases are fired in that gun ...no need to size them....and if you finger seat you dont need a bullet seated...you need a drop tube and the press and compression die to compress the powder....and of course bullets powder and over powder wads....maybe a decapping die and a hand primer....I dont think it would cost that much to get going to make smoke

Just some thoughts here....it would be a fun adventure... And a chance to learn something new

Ocharry
Old February 11, 2018, 05:48 PM   #9
Jim Watson

A 13 lb rifle is OK for BPTR (15lb max) but too heavy for metallic silhouette (11.2lb max).

Quote:
at 1000 yrds,,the strike window is just a few feet maybe 2-5 feet front to back,,,the bullet is coming down out of trajectory like a mortar,,,
I have read many times about the "mortar like trajectory" of a BPCR.
The late Dan Theodore actually tested it. He built a frame holding two targets six feet apart and set it up at 1000 yards. Shot it with his Creedmoor rifle, I think a .45x 2 7/8" and measured the drop from 1000 to 1002 yards. The entry angle was 4 to 4.5 degrees, depending on the exact load and the head/tail wind conditions.

Last edited by Jim Watson; February 11, 2018 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Mortar.
Old February 12, 2018, 12:26 PM   #10
Road_Clam

I have the Pedersoli 1874 Sharp's Silhouette in 45-70. My intent is recreational target out to 600 yds. In hindsight I kinda wished I'd bought a 45-90 instead as I would have liked the extra powder capacity when shooting 600 yd BPCR 500+ gr bullets but my 45-70 will be fine. Your 45-120 is going to pack a wallop for sure. I have very poor eyes so I added a Montana Vintage Arms 5x scope to my 1874. Love the optic as opposed to Vernier sights. I strongly suggest wearing a PAST recoil pad and have some fun !
Old February 13, 2018, 01:23 PM   #11
gwpercle

I would keep it.
I would take it to the range shoot it and think about my Dad .
He always wanted one and never had the opprotunity ...that was his dream.
Make your dad's dream come true...he'll know , think about all the wonderful times you had together ,he will be pleased.
Pass the gun and the stories along to your son or daughter....memories like this are priceless.
Gary
Old February 13, 2018, 04:55 PM   #12
fourbore

The butt plate will be the main factor in recoil. If you have a shotgun butt then you are fine. Well as fine as can be expected. The cresent steel will bite you pretty good.

For any competition, you dont want any more than 45-90. IMHO , as always.

The sharps was never chambered in 45/120. It is a very long case ( 3 1/4 inch)and not authentic. That is a lot of powder unless you use a lot of extra wads. The largest 45 used by sharps was the 45/110 which used a 2 7/8 inch case. It is more of a difference than the name suggest. FYI, the 45/90 is 2.4 inch case and a pretty well balanced round. With modern brass it is not much more real capacity than the original balloon head 45/70 case.

The best way to honor your father and respect yourself is select an appropriate rifle an go from there. I would look at Shiloh for a little more money. It a much better gun and they will built it your way. I strongly suggest getting a pistol grip and shotgun butt. Avoid the extremes. That goes for barrel weight and length as well as bore size and length.

The bible is "Sharps Firearms" by Frank Sellers. That is a good read before going the Shiloh route.

Last edited by fourbore; February 13, 2018 at 05:00 PM.
Old February 14, 2018, 12:57 PM   #13
Jim Watson

One of the old buffalo shooters said: "We were getting 120 grains of powder in a case made to hold 100." He would fill it up, pack it down, and add more powder, repeating until he had it crammed as full as hand tools would go. Which might be the source of the Legend of the .45-120. I have seen it said that there were some Sharps rechambered for the 3 1/4" case after Sharps Rifle Co. went out of business.
Old February 14, 2018, 06:05 PM   #14
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson
One of the old buffalo shooters said: "We were getting 120 grains of powder in a case made to hold 100." He would fill it up, pack it down, and add more powder, repeating until he had it crammed as full as hand tools would go. Which might be the source of the Legend of the .45-120. I have seen it said that there were some Sharps rechambered for the 3 1/4" case after Sharps Rifle Co. went out of business.
If I eat my Wheaties and literally hang all my weight off my press arm I can compress 68gr of Goex FFG (45-70 caliber) to where I can seat and still chamber the 535 gr Postell or Creedmoore bullet. No way can I get any more in the case with this combo. They tell me Swiss 1.5 F compresses better than Goex but I have not yet tried the Swiss 1.5
Old February 14, 2018, 06:27 PM   #15
Jim Watson

Folded and balloon head cases are roomier.
Bullets were lighter and shorter.
Paper patch bullets were not seated as deep as grease groove.
Old February 15, 2018, 07:10 AM   #16
Mike Irwin
Staff

Not to mention that a .45-120 would beat the ever living snot out of you over a silhouette match.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 17, 2018, 09:26 PM   #17
colorado68

Quote:
Not to mention that a .45-120 would beat the ever living snot out of you over a silhouette match.
That right there solidified my decision ...and after reading a lot on reloading accurate 45/120 rounds. And what fourbore said.

Really appreciate all the replies/feedback.

gotta post a picture of her cause all posts needs a pic

https://imgur.com/gallery/XSQOC
Old February 18, 2018, 06:38 AM   #18
Mike Irwin
Staff

When I was working for American Rifleman back in the early 1990s they sent me to cover the black powder cartridge rifle silhouette matches at the Whittington Center.

Met Steve Garbe and Mike Venturino, among others.

The one takeaway from those matches was that a LOT of the serious competitors were moving away from .45 or .50 caliber rounds because of the recoil, and had landed on rounds like the .40-60 Winchester.

I THINK that's what Garbe was shooting at that time. He and Venturino had just written SPG reloading book. I got a copy and they signed it for me, but they did discuss cartridge selection. I THINK it was in that book that they mention that some newbies to the sport make the mistake of picking one of the really potent cartridges like the .50-90 or .45-120, and they pay for it after a weekend of matches.

Most of the newbies to the sport were shooting .45-70 because that was by far the most commonly available and in a lot of ways the most economical.

Some people showed up with multiple rifles, like a .38-55 class for the chickens, a .40-caliber, for the pigs and turkeys, and .45 for rams, where the heavier bullets make it easier to topple the heavier targets at longer ranges.

I managed to cage a bunch of shots during the prelim days with several rifles and discovered that even a perfectly placed hit with a .38-55 bullet couldn't be guaranteed to take down a ram.

Old February 18, 2018, 06:44 AM   #19
Mike Irwin
Staff

So, what is your decision?

Keep it and get another rifle?

Sell it and get another rifle?

Have it rebarreled?

Old February 18, 2018, 09:32 AM   #20
colorado68

I've decided to sell and get something else.

The idea of rebarreling is an interesting thought.
Old February 18, 2018, 10:33 AM   #21
Jim Watson

John King of Kila, Montana has a great reputation on BPCRs.
A new barrel would cost some hundreds of bucks, but if you wanted to keep Dad's Rifle in use, it might be worth it to you.
.45-70 is common and well developed.

Me? I shoot a .40-65 and that only because, as Mike says, my .38-55 was not knocking down all the 500 metre 46 lb rams that I hit.

Get on the Shiloh board. They will talk about other brands.
http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/index.php