The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 1, 2018, 12:02 PM   #1
Areoflyer09

New rifle - thoughts, ideas & opinions?

I’ve been working on selling some firearms that either don’t get used (not shot in 6+months) or haven’t lived up to expectations, but proceeds will benefit a new rifle and another project. I’m in need some thoughts/ideas/options from the collective knowledge at those point.

Currently, the biggest rifle is my Henry .357 & the rest are 22s. Typically I’ve been more is a pistol person, so I’m outside my typical knowledge base. I had an AR before the Henry and really didn’t have much fun with it, so I’m not looking go back that route. But I’ve gotten to use an AR10, and the recoil didn’t bother me.

I’ve got a couple of ground rules in order of priority:
1) Roughly $700 or under
2) Wood/Laminate Stock
3) Bolt/Lever Action
4) Maxing out at 44Mag if a pistol caliber or .308 if a rifle caliber

New or used is ok, iron sights would be nice just to offset an immediate scope cost, as long as the cost/round is reasonable I’ll consider it being as it won’t be used as often

This is just a fun gun for me, I currently don’t hunt and I don’t need it to be sub-MOA (I’m not that good yet anyways). Shooting is a stress outlet for me, so as long as I’m having fun I tend to be happy with the purchase.

At the moment, here are the current leading thoughts:
-Ruger American Rimfire Target
-CZ 455 American (22/17) Combo
-Henry Big Boy in 44Mag or 30-30

What I would like are some options in other common calibers that I could look into. What would be a good bolt action choice that meet the above criteria? What other calibers should I look into (17HMR, .223, .243, etc)?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, feeling a bit overwhelmed with the amount of options out there!
Old February 1, 2018, 07:09 PM   #2
handlerer2

You will most likely get many endorsement for peoples favorite brand. Everyone wants others to like their favorite rifle.

IMO it's hard to go too far wrong these days. There is a long list of fine rifles for $700, and you will see glowing endorsements for many pet rifles and calibers.

Ruger, Savage, Remington, Weathereby, Howa, Mossberg, and Tikka all offer a rifle that will offer better accuracy than what was available easily, even 20 years ago, CNC and all that.

My first centerfire rile was a Marlin 336, that I bought with my GI Bill check in 1975. Next was a REM 700. I have owned rifles by all of those mentioned except Tikka and Mossberg. I have never had an issue with any of them that wasn't my fault.

My favorite would have to be the Weatherby Vanguard. Receiver machined from a solid billet, bolt also, handle and all. The only difference between the Vanguard and the Sako L-61 is the third locking lug was removed after the original license expired. The original Vanguard was for several years the L-61, made under license by Howa in Japan. Heavier than newer designs, where the receiver is a piece of drilled out pipe, and the bolts are not solid, but fused and alloyed. These barstock receivers, all the ones I listed other than the Howa and Vanguard, may be the easiest to get accuracy from, though. My Vanguard in 300WBY, came with a factory target, three shot group .6". When I saw the target I bought it, I was shopping for boots, at the Sheels in Billings

If your new to centerfire, I think many members will recommend 223REm. Easy to shoot accurately, ammo is plentiful and not too expensive, really cheap if you reload.

I'm old fashioned and prefer the rifles with receiver machined from forged billets, such as Win M70, M98 Mauser, Ruger77, Weatherby MKV, Howa/Vanguard. The Howa/Vanguard is the only one that is in your price range, that I know of.

You can't go too far wrong with anything from Ruger, Savage, Rem ect. Good Luck and always think safe.
Old February 1, 2018, 08:00 PM   #3
Kvon2

I own more than 10 rifles and none of them are the same brand. Some bolt, some semi auto.

My CZ 527 is probably my favorite rifle to shoot. Mine is in 7.62x39 but I believe it also comes in .223. Both affordable, mild recoiling rounds!

I believe it meets all of your criteria as well. Plus the trigger on these rifles is just awesome.
Old February 1, 2018, 08:05 PM   #4
Areoflyer09

I fully expect to get a lot of answers of people’s favorites, which isn’t a bad thing for this exercise. What people have good experiences with are great items to start researching. Which is really the point, new ideas from the outside.

I’m not necessarily new to centerfire, I have just typically stuck with pistol calibers. Not so much experience with rifle calibers though. I had the AR (223) for a few months, just never warmed up to the platform. Really haven’t warmed up to any rifle semi-auto platform.
Old February 1, 2018, 08:31 PM   #5
Targa

I'm with Kvon on the CZ 527 and the Henry in .44mag.
Old February 1, 2018, 10:08 PM   #6
fourbore

The CZ 527 carbine in 223 is a nice shooter. Great trigger. Ammo price and availability good. A really nice wood stock. There are not very many good and affordable bolt rifles with wood stocks. I can only recommend CZ for $700 in a traditional wood stock gun. The 527 Carbine model has iron sights and rings included.

I hunt with 44mag. It not a gun I would want for shooting at the club. Unless you really want a lever action, then yes. I suggest an older marlin 1894 (New Haven Conn gun) is the best out there and those can be found very minty under $700. You can mount a rear peep sight and do some pretty good shooting. I guess, nothing like a big bore for stress relief, but OP said he wants to hold the recoil within limits. Other wise, I would say, consider a 45/70 for some serious fun.

The heavy guns are good for shooting off the bench or prone with a bipod. But off hand, I think you dont want any of the heavy varmint or tactical options. Those are typically synthetic. I would think the 243 is accurate and fun to shoot in a lighter gun. I just cannot think of one to recommend.

Accuracy should matter to a point. If not today once you get into the shooting you will appreciate a reasonable level of performance.

I had a mix experience with Ruger. My American's have been ok for the most part. I hesitate to suggest the wood stock Hawkeye. Certainly not over CZ. I would not risk any Remington. Most mid price rifles mostly have plastic stocks. That eliminates some options like Tikka and TC Venture.
Old February 1, 2018, 10:11 PM   #7
fourbore

Well, for $750 this is an excellent rifle.Tikka with wood stock:

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/tikk...d-walnut-stock

If Bass Pro is getting $750 you could probably shop around and beat that. The above is a 30-06. Serious hunting caliber. This would make a good gun in 243.
Old February 2, 2018, 09:00 AM   #8
Areoflyer09

fourbore - you summed up my view on accuracy better than I stated it. I’d like it to be accurate enough to not be aggravating, but I don’t need sub-moa ability.

Currently 2/3 of my rifles are lever actions (Henry Big Boy & Henry Golden Boy), the other is the Talo edition American Rimfire. The American by far more accurate in my hands than either of the Henrys, but the Henrys are more fun. Least to say, I’m a fan of lever actions.

If I new someone with a 45/70 I could try, I’d be more open to it. Without that, it’s harder to make the jump. Not a cheap rifle to discover it kicks too much.

I agree on the weight point. The two Henrys I have are about as heavy as I’d like to be for standing and shooting. But different tools for different jobs. The Henrys are -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- standing up, while my Americans RF is almost always rested on my bag. Guess that’s why I’m struggling to make a choice on this. I don’t have a need, it’s just a want.

I’ll definitely look into the Vanguard, CZ 527 & the Tikka more though.
Old February 2, 2018, 09:38 PM   #9
Whistlebritches

Ruger American in 308 dressed up in a Boyd's laminate stock all for under 7 bills.
Old February 3, 2018, 04:56 PM   #10
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Buy a caliber and brand you'll enjoy shooting for years to come. Of all those different calibers I have to choose from. I find my old 1937 winchester 94 30-30 the most entertaining. It shoots jacketed_cast_ and paper patched all with equal accuracy. Being so versatile in what its capable of. Peeks my interest. All those others I have aren't as interesting although far and away much more accurate. (270_25-06_ 243_223_06)
Old February 3, 2018, 05:41 PM   #11
Dufus

Bud's has a 10% rebate on Browning.

The AB3 in 308 Win has wood stock and would be around $500.

Beautiful guns and they are good shooters.
Old February 4, 2018, 11:52 AM   #12
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post

If Bass Pro is getting $750 you could probably shop around and beat that. The above is a 30-06. Serious hunting caliber. This would make a good gun in 243.
This wood stocked Tikka is one nice looking rifle! Wouldn't mind having one myself!
Old February 4, 2018, 02:45 PM   #13
Danoobie

Purely from an ammo standpoint, one of the smaller calibers will do you very well
and cost you a lot less down the road. There's some very accurate bolt actions in
22WMR, or 17 caliber.

Last edited by Danoobie; February 6, 2018 at 10:20 PM.
Old February 5, 2018, 08:38 AM   #14
Areoflyer09

I appreciate the ammo cost concern, I lost the right to complain on that front when my preferred range pistol turned out to be a 10mm. Lol

I got to handle several Henrys this weekend, with cash in hand and for some reason just couldn’t take them home. Every bit as beautifully built as my current Henrys. It was odd. Touched some Marlins as well, most didn’t spark much either. Did find a gorgeous 45/70 with a stainless barrel and grey wood, close to a grand though.

Not much luck on the bolt action side of things though. They are very hit and miss at the stores around me.

There was the 10/22 with a Mannlicher stock in grey/black with a stainless barrel that I really liked. I had a basic 10/22 before and really didn’t enjoy it, so I’ve been surprised that I’ve thought about it as much as I have.

I haven’t found one yet, but I came across the Browning T-Bolt online and I’m intrigued. Doesn’t offer the power I was originally thinking about, but it’s more unique and that counts for something. The straight pull back bolt is interesting.

Overall, it was an odd weekend. What normally peaks my interest didn’t, and something that I didn’t enjoy the last time around has been on my brain since I left.
Old February 5, 2018, 08:47 AM   #15
Rothdel

Just throwing out a different approach here. Have you considered any Surplus or older commercial firearms? Many of these are in "affordable" calibers and have a lot of character. Nothing wrong with modern firearms and I have a safe full of solid modern rifles I love, but for a fun trip to the range I find myself grabbing old Military rifles more often than not. For your price range there are many options and you can run the gamut of accuracy, power, cost, and fit and finish.

Many popular calibers can be found in this type of firearm from .22 LR to 30-06, 308, 7.62X39, ect ect ect.

If you don't want to go the Military route there are tons of old commercial firearms that hold up well today.
Old February 5, 2018, 08:58 AM   #16
agtman

Quote:

If Bass Pro is getting $750 you could probably shop around and beat that. The above is a 30-06. Serious hunting caliber.
No doubt the '06 is a serious hunting cartridge, but that Tikka doesn't come with iron sights. Any "serious hunting rifle" wears a set of irons sights, even if you intend to scope it.

Not in his price range, but this SAKO below fits the need. This one's a .308, but Eurooptics also sells an '06 version.

https://www.eurooptic.com/sako-black...n-jrsb516.aspx

Put a low-mounted 1x-5x Leupy on it, and it's the perfect hunter for anything in the lower 48, except maybe for dedicated applications, like 500-yd sniper-shots on prairie dogs.

Last edited by agtman; February 5, 2018 at 09:04 AM.
Old February 5, 2018, 10:12 AM   #17
Areoflyer09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothdel View Post
Just throwing out a different approach here. Have you considered any Surplus or older commercial firearms? Many of these are in "affordable" calibers and have a lot of character. Nothing wrong with modern firearms and I have a safe full of solid modern rifles I love, but for a fun trip to the range I find myself grabbing old Military rifles more often than not. For your price range there are many options and you can run the gamut of accuracy, power, cost, and fit and finish.

Many popular calibers can be found in this type of firearm from .22 LR to 30-06, 308, 7.62X39, ect ect ect.

If you don't want to go the Military route there are tons of old commercial firearms that hold up well today.
No reason not to consider surplus options. The history aspect makes them more interesting, but I have very little knowledge about military arms outside of what I’ve heard Tim (MAC on YouTube) talk about.

Same goes with older models. No reasons against them, just a lack of knowledge.

Any suggestions? I don’t need to be spoon fed the information, just need somewhere to start looking to learn.
Old February 5, 2018, 10:34 AM   #18
Areoflyer09

Quote:
Originally Posted by agtman View Post
No doubt the '06 is a serious hunting cartridge, but that Tikka doesn't come with iron sights. Any "serious hunting rifle" wears a set of irons sights, even if you intend to scope it.

Not in his price range, but this SAKO below fits the need. This one's a .308, but Eurooptics also sells an '06 version.

Put a low-mounted 1x-5x Leupy on it, and it's the perfect hunter for anything in the lower 48, except maybe for dedicated applications, like 500-yd sniper-shots on prairie dogs.
You aren’t kidding on being outside the price range!

The need part seems to be causing all sorts of issues. I don’t need a new rifle, Injust one. Not having a need it making it hard to narrow the choices down.

Last edited by Areoflyer09; February 5, 2018 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Autocorrect
Old February 5, 2018, 11:29 AM   #19
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by agtman View Post

A serious hunting rifle has open sight's? So your scope breaks and you just happen to have the tool's with you to remove it to be able to see the sight's? And I would just assume that when you removed the scope to sight in the open sight's with the load for the scope, you re-install the scope and re-sight it in?

I find it easier to carry a spare rifle in the truck, and, never needed it!
Old February 5, 2018, 12:49 PM   #20
Rothdel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Areoflyer09 View Post
No reason not to consider surplus options. The history aspect makes them more interesting, but I have very little knowledge about military arms outside of what I’ve heard Tim (MAC on YouTube) talk about.

Same goes with older models. No reasons against them, just a lack of knowledge.

Any suggestions? I don’t need to be spoon fed the information, just need somewhere to start looking to learn.
I didn't want to offer any unless you were interested.

So many options its hard to even know where to start so a couple suggestions.

1. Check out C&R sellers as they tend to focus on Milsurp. Clasicfirearms, J&G sales, Southern OH Gun, Libertytree collectors, and Old Steel Firearms, are a few of my go to sites for perusing.

2. Play around on Gunbroker in their C&R section or play around with caliber searches and back into what you might want.

I few of my current favorites.

1. SKS - They are semi so may not interest you but the 7.62X39 is abundant and cheap to shoot. Tend to be well made and accuracy runs from acceptable to pretty darn good. I have one that shoots far better than it has any right to and my other is good enough for fun days at the range

2. Mosin Nagant's - 7.62X54 is a solid cartridge and is widely available. The firearm is common and comes in many variants. I really like the M44 carbine variant but that's just me. Accuracy tends to be MEH but again some are better than others. If accuracy is a bigger concern than you sugested earlier you can always look at the Finnish M39 which is essentially a reworked Mosin (for all you Historians I know I simplified that) that generally provides far better accuracy.

3. Mausers - Ok huge huge huge subset of firearms here that obviously can fill books. Short version is that 8MM and 7MM still available and popular. Pricing ranges from cheap to stupidly expensive depending on what your looking at but solid shooters are out there and not hard to find. If you want a solid bolt gun, with irons, and providing decent accuracy this might be the best way to go for surplus guns.

4. .22 LR trainers. Many military's used 22 rifles for training to reduce cost. These can be stand a lone designs or conversions of military long arms. Some times these are great ways to get into a nice bolt action rifle that has old time aesthetics with cheap ammo cost. Again there is an entire world of firearms in this category but well worth a look.

5. Everything else. Enfields, Swedish, Egyptian, Persian, ect ect ect. Lots of options here and playing around on some online retailers and then doing some research after that. I have found that when it comes to milsurp the hunt can be as much fun as the shooting. Only real issue here is that some of these old guns are easier to find than the ammo they shoot. Arisaka rifles can be nice but sourcing their ammo no so much.

6. Spoterized Firearms. Controversial topic depending on who you talk to but sometimes a good way to get into one of these firearms for less money. While I doubt I would ever sport a military firearm myself I have purchased more than a few that had already been altered. Some I have attempted to put back to military configuration and some I enjoy for what they are now. Either way they can be low priced for what you get.

7. Commercial firearms. I don't know as much here but would suggest a solid 1894 in 30-30 is a good way to go. Lots of these were made and the 30-30 has not changed over the years. I had one and sold it and have been kicking myself ever since.
Old February 5, 2018, 01:15 PM   #21
jackstrawIII

Check out the CZ 527 Carbine. It's perfect for what you're talking about. Grab one in 7.62x39 and you'll be able to hunt deer with it, if the mood ever strikes you. Range ammo is cheap too.
Old February 5, 2018, 01:50 PM   #22
Areoflyer09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothdel View Post
I didn't want to offer any unless you were interested.

So many options its hard to even know where to start so a couple suggestions.

1. Check out C&R sellers as they tend to focus on Milsurp. Clasicfirearms, J&G sales, Southern OH Gun, Libertytree collectors, and Old Steel Firearms, are a few of my go to sites for perusing.

2. Play around on Gunbroker in their C&R section or play around with caliber searches and back into what you might want.

I few of my current favorites.

1. SKS - They are semi so may not interest you but the 7.62X39 is abundant and cheap to shoot. Tend to be well made and accuracy runs from acceptable to pretty darn good. I have one that shoots far better than it has any right to and my other is good enough for fun days at the range

2. Mosin Nagant's - 7.62X54 is a solid cartridge and is widely available. The firearm is common and comes in many variants. I really like the M44 carbine variant but that's just me. Accuracy tends to be MEH but again some are better than others. If accuracy is a bigger concern than you sugested earlier you can always look at the Finnish M39 which is essentially a reworked Mosin (for all you Historians I know I simplified that) that generally provides far better accuracy.

3. Mausers - Ok huge huge huge subset of firearms here that obviously can fill books. Short version is that 8MM and 7MM still available and popular. Pricing ranges from cheap to stupidly expensive depending on what your looking at but solid shooters are out there and not hard to find. If you want a solid bolt gun, with irons, and providing decent accuracy this might be the best way to go for surplus guns.

4. .22 LR trainers. Many military's used 22 rifles for training to reduce cost. These can be stand a lone designs or conversions of military long arms. Some times these are great ways to get into a nice bolt action rifle that has old time aesthetics with cheap ammo cost. Again there is an entire world of firearms in this category but well worth a look.

5. Everything else. Enfields, Swedish, Egyptian, Persian, ect ect ect. Lots of options here and playing around on some online retailers and then doing some research after that. I have found that when it comes to milsurp the hunt can be as much fun as the shooting. Only real issue here is that some of these old guns are easier to find than the ammo they shoot. Arisaka rifles can be nice but sourcing their ammo no so much.

6. Spoterized Firearms. Controversial topic depending on who you talk to but sometimes a good way to get into one of these firearms for less money. While I doubt I would ever sport a military firearm myself I have purchased more than a few that had already been altered. Some I have attempted to put back to military configuration and some I enjoy for what they are now. Either way they can be low priced for what you get.

7. Commercial firearms. I don't know as much here but would suggest a solid 1894 in 30-30 is a good way to go. Lots of these were made and the 30-30 has not changed over the years. I had one and sold it and have been kicking myself ever since.
Thanks! That gives me a staring place that I can find things that look interesting and be able to come back and ask needed questions.
Old February 5, 2018, 06:42 PM   #23
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

"Fun gun": For me, it would be either a .22 rimfire or a low-recoil centerfire such as the .223. Either would use low or comparatively low cost ammo.
Old February 5, 2018, 08:49 PM   #24
Areoflyer09

Another rinfire has been on my mind. The above mentioned 10/22 and a CZ 455 Shamrock has shown up for sale somewhat locally. Tempting on both of them.
Old February 5, 2018, 09:02 PM   #25
ammo.crafter

A new rifle

Have you considered a single shot rifle?

The Contender would allow you to play with various calibers. And there are many used barrels around.

A good pistol/rifle caliber to look into is the .357 Maximum.