The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 13, 2016, 09:26 PM   #1
mnhunter3030

2015 bear hunt

Hi all,
been a while since i posted anything, i just wanted to put out a short story about the fall 2015 fall hunt which, some of you offered your well respected input and help. At camp only 1 bear was taken, a small bear less than 100 lbs the guy who killed it was one of those people you hope you never have to share camp with, cocky and better then every other guy in camp. I helped the guide skin and butcher his bear since he was too good to care to his own bear ( guide gave me one of the roasts off that bear for the help ) guy didnt even know what sex the bear was until the guide told him

Instead of taking the 3030 i took along my browning bar with 220 grain corelokts and saw 1 bear a big one at 40 + yards, it came in just like he owned the joint, he turned to face me and froze when he saw the shakey little blob in the tree. I had the rifle already resting on one of them easy hangers i had screwed into the tree, the ones archers use to hang their bows on anyway, i was watching him in the scope and when he stopped to look at me i had the illuminated redical in the middle of the chest facing me and pulled the trigger. I hit him hard he went down snarling and biting at the wound, of course the gun jammed and i feverishly fought to remove the spent case. the bear regained its composer and bolted before i could return fire no death moan ever followed and the next day we returned and found blood and trailed for hundreds of yards eventually losing the trail in a heavy rain storm.

I did rebook for the 2016 fall season and will be bringing my 3030 with the 170 grain partitions and the bow both of which im much more confident with. When we retured home from the adventure i continued my MN bear hunt never saw one while on stand and the bears quit coming altogether around september 12th. MN deer hunt was also a bust with not one deer seen over the 14 day hunt.

hope all had a great holiday season as well as hunting season,

Old January 14, 2016, 04:38 PM   #2
samsmix

Sad to hear about the one that got away. My Dad had a Browning BAR in 7mm Mag that he just never could count on to be reliable. Expensive gun, but heavy and unreliable. He sold it and I bought him a Vanguard in the same caliber for Christmas. He has been much happier.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old January 15, 2016, 02:12 PM   #3
mnhunter3030

Bar

yes ive thought of trading it in for a 7mm 08 lefty bolt, browning of course
thanks for the post