The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 27, 2015, 08:59 PM   #1
Cowboy_mo

Anyone compared Fed Trophy Bonded Tip to Nosler Partition

Okay, after some health problems over the summer, just booked a Bison hunt in December. Going to work on the bucket list, jic.

Looking at .30-06 180 grain bullets in the Federal Trophy bullet or Nosler Partition bullet. Looking for opinions from anyone who has used either.

NOT INTERESTED IN "GET THE LASTEST ULTRABOOMER MAGNUMANIMOUS" RECOMMENDATIONS. if that happens.

Just looking for info from people who have used either of these bullets.

Thanks in advance to those who can provide quality bullet recommendaitons.
Old October 30, 2015, 08:54 PM   #2
JohnfromPA

I havent used the Trophy Bonded Tip but hunted with the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw for years with my 300wby. The Bear Claw is a tough bullet up there with the Swift A Frame in penetration and weight retention. I would imagine that the TBT would perform similarly to the accubond and somewhere between the Bear Claw and partition in penetration and weight retention. I dont think you could go wrong with either.
Old October 30, 2015, 09:25 PM   #3
reynolds357

The Trophy bonded tip is the modern incarnation of the Fail Safe. It should be an awesome penetrating bullet.
Old October 31, 2015, 01:59 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

A buffler isn't going to know or care what bullet killed it. Don't think a premium bullet is ever absolutely required myself. A Game King or a Grand Slam will work just as well as a Partition or Trophy/Bear Claw.
Old October 31, 2015, 07:20 PM   #5
Cowboy_mo

Thanks John and Reynolds. I appreciate hearing your thoughts.

T.O. Thanks for your input but I have personally sworn off of game kings FOREVER with the possible exception of punching paper. I have shot 3 Missouri deer with them, 2 of which were recovered and was not happy with the bullet performance. I do not like bullets which explode and don't retain their weight.
Old October 31, 2015, 10:00 PM   #6
reynolds357

T. O., a Grand slam is a premium bullet.
Old October 31, 2015, 10:31 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

Quote:
The Trophy bonded tip is the modern incarnation of the Fail Safe. It should be an awesome penetrating bullet.
It's actually just a tipped version of the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw (TBBC). ...Which ran alongside the Fail Safe, for many years.

The TBBC and TB-Tipped are solid base bullets (very thick copper shank) with a bonded cup-and-core (lead) nose.
The Fail Safe is the exact opposite: It is a skived solid copper nose, with a cup-and-core (lead) base. In some calibers, there was also a steel reinforcing cup around the lead core in the base.

If you combine the two, you end up with either a Barnes Triple-Shock (all copper), or a Nosler Partition (lead core base and nose).

--

I was never able to put one into an animal, but the limited testing that I've done (and plenty of stories online and in magazines) with the TBBC indicates that you should have no problem with the bullet.

The Nosler Partition is a totally different bullet design, but the same situation: More than enough for the job. Put it where it counts, and don't worry about it.
Old November 3, 2015, 09:10 PM   #8
Cowboy_mo

Franken,

Thanks for the great explanation of the 2 bullets. I went ahead and ordered a box of each. Had a chance to shoot the Partitions on Sunday and they grouped between well out of my rifle. Will compare the Trophy Bonded Tips and pick the best for the hunt.

Will also be getting some regular practice between now and the hunt so I can do my part (putting the bullet where it counts) before the hunt.
Old January 25, 2016, 04:59 PM   #9
Cowboy_mo

Here's the result

Well guys I used the Nosler partition bullets and they (well only 1) worked great. Shot was broadside and double lung from about 80 yards. It was a complete pass through. The animal took about 2 staggered steps and down!

Buff2015-2-resize.jpg
Old January 25, 2016, 05:49 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

Very cool.
Old January 25, 2016, 08:54 PM   #11
GeauxTide

As posted, the Bear Claw wins the penetration and weight retention test. The Partition is designed to lose much of the front portion.
Old January 25, 2016, 08:55 PM   #12
GeauxTide

As posted, the Bear Claw wins the penetration and weight retention test. The Partition is designed to lose much of the front portion. With 1000# Bulls, you wants da penetration
Old January 27, 2016, 09:13 AM   #13
Dranrab

I have a grand total on one kill using a TBBC. It was with a 225 grain TBBC in a 35 Whelen. I shot a mid-sized Sitka deer on Kodiak Island. The shot was a slightly quartering frontal shot. I wrecked the front shoulder, lings, innards and the bullet exited the opposite side rear leg. It may still still be in orbit. If I could find TBBC as component bullets, I would load them. As it is, I use Partitions. They are my favorite bullets and have never failed me. You can't go wrong with either.
Old January 28, 2016, 01:37 AM   #14
bamaranger

well now

Now that's a picture. One very dead Tatonka. What'd ya suppose that critter weighs?

The old '06 really is a bunch of cartridge. If you can take a buffalo with a .30/180,....it kind of puts what we use (sometimes anyhow) for 150 lb whitetails in perspective.

Good for you.
Old January 28, 2016, 09:52 PM   #15
Cowboy_mo

Bamaranger

Thank you. To answer your thought (about live weight) I can tell you I brought home 325-350 pounds of boneless burger, steaks, chops, and roasts. The guide estimate a live weight of 900-1000.
Old January 30, 2016, 01:30 PM   #16
kcub

I stopped a charging lion with 180 grain 30-06. 4 right in his face.

Also 6.5 foot black bear 1 shot kill. Also a leopard 1 shot kill. Lots of pig, deer, and African antelope of all sizes, some running.
Old January 31, 2016, 06:00 PM   #17
Roadkill2228

All things being equal the federal bullet should be more accurate as there is no exposed lead at the base to suffer deformation, unlike the partition. I don't know if this is the old school bear claw or the newer trophy bonded tip you refer to...the tipped version should be about the ultimate do it all bullet. I recall reading in a review that it exhibited decent expansion at 400 yards out of a .300 win while most other tough bullets just punched through and didn't expand all that much. Either of the bear claws are tougher than the partitions I would think. I'd go with the federal bullet (though I agree it sucks you can't buy it as a component) personally.
Old January 31, 2016, 06:04 PM   #18
Roadkill2228

As I skimmed through I guess i missed the part where you already got your bull. Congrats! I suppose there's a reason after all these years that the partition is the yardstick by which the terminal performance of other premium hunting bullets is measured. Awesome!
Old February 1, 2016, 12:47 PM   #19
DAP90

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcub
I stopped a charging lion with 180 grain 30-06. 4 right in his face.
I wish I had stories that started like this.