The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 3, 2020, 12:39 PM   #1
kilotanker22

338 Lapua Magnum

So I have decided for my one mile shooting I am gonna can the Creedmoor I'm favor of something more powerful. I have decided that the 338 Lapua Magnum should fit my needs.

I have also decided on the rifle I am going to Purchase to start with. A Savage 110 Elite Precision. The choice for the Savage over others available is simple. Price, and a 30 inch barrel. I figure I should be able to launch bullets at a higher velocity with the extra barrel length. 6" more barrel that a Savage Precision and 4 inches more barrel than a RPR.

The bullet I am figuring on is the Berger 300 grain OTM Tactical bullet.

With the Hornady Advanced DOF calculator. If I can get that bullet to 2900 fps. I will be just entering the transonic range at one mile.

So I pose two questions to this forum. To hit 2900 fps in a 30 inch barrel, what powder should I start with?

Also, I am really considering either the Vortex Razor AMG, or the Leupold Mark 5 HD to go on top. I know Optics are not for this forum, but wanted to limit to one post so commenters would know the context for the question I was posing.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old July 3, 2020, 12:55 PM   #2
nhyrum

I'm not 100% positive on the Lapua, but my 300 rum with a similar capacity likes h1000 and retumbo. I see a lot of differing opinions. Some say one gives better Chrono numbers than the other, etc.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old July 3, 2020, 02:03 PM   #3
hounddawg

my buddy shoots the same rifle and he swears by the H1000 and Berger 300 hybrids.
Old July 3, 2020, 02:22 PM   #4
kilotanker22

I was also considering the Nosler 300 grain RDF, but they have not even released a BC yet. I called them yesterday and they said they are still testing the bullet with radar.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old July 3, 2020, 05:18 PM   #5
Dufus

Cutting Edge Bullets has some awesome high BC (.840) single feed bullets if your twist rate can handle them. They recommend a 1:8.5 or faster.

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/338-3...-tactical-50ct

I haven't shot any of these as I don't have a 338 Lap, but I do use other bullets made by them. I am very happy with them.
Old July 3, 2020, 05:23 PM   #6
nhyrum

Cutting edge are great. It's almost worth getting them just for the packaging.

Look into the new Hornady a tip. At least the 30 caliber ones have a phenomenal bc, especially compared to the Berger's(230 for 230) and those are using litz's numbers in the ab app. Not box bc. Bc isn't the complete end all be all. And you don't have to shoot just what you have supersonic range for. That being said, I don't know how the a tips do going transsonic. Berger's and cutting edge are pretty proven to be stable.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old July 5, 2020, 12:42 AM   #7
kilotanker22

Primary reason I was considering the Berger was for their claim that the bullet remains stable through to the subsonic range.
– St. Augustine
Old July 5, 2020, 01:01 AM   #8
Machineguntony

I use H1000 with 300 grain SMK, and at one time loaded at the max charge for the round, as published on the Hodgdon site. My Labradar shows that the published max charge clocks in at slightly over 2800 fps on my gun, which is way over SAAMI spec for that charge.

I now run my rounds at 89 grains. I have no problem hitting a target at 1 mile, and I’m a casual long range shooter.

I’m shooting out of an AI AXMC with a NightForce 8-35 ATKR.

You’ll find that hitting a target at 1 mile (1760 yards) with the 338 LM is quite easy, even with wind. On a day without much wind, it’s about as difficult as hitting a 500 yard gong with 223.

Enjoy!
Old July 5, 2020, 06:27 AM   #9
Howland

I just ran an OCW with H1000 and the 300 grain A-Tip out of my 26" RPR. Hodgdon max load of 92 grains were just over 2,800 fps on my ProChrono Digital. I saw no signs of pressure on the brass but didn't even come close to 2,900 fps.
Old July 5, 2020, 03:39 PM   #10
kilotanker22

The rifle I will be using will have 4 more inches of barrel than the RPR. I am guessing I will get a little closer to 2900. Now just got to get the money together to buy the gun and acope
– St. Augustine
Old July 6, 2020, 04:28 AM   #11
std7mag

Ok, i'm confused... (Normal state these days )

Mel80 shoots a Grendel past 1,700 yards.
But you decide you want more power than your Creedmoor?

You wanna buy a new gun, is a good enough reason to us.
We aren't your dad, or your wife. No need to make stuff up.

Cutting Edge Bullets all the way!

As far as optics is concerned, the Cutting Edge team for KO2M really doesn't care for the Leupold.
MILs vs MOA.
You might be able to get MOA.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old July 6, 2020, 02:20 PM   #12
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by std7mag View Post
Ok, i'm confused... (Normal state these days )

Mel80 shoots a Grendel past 1,700 yards.
But you decide you want more power than your Creedmoor?

You wanna buy a new gun, is a good enough reason to us.
We aren't your dad, or your wife. No need to make stuff up.

Cutting Edge Bullets all the way!

As far as optics is concerned, the Cutting Edge team for KO2M really doesn't care for the Leupold.
MILs vs MOA.
You might be able to get MOA.
I want to keep a bullet super sonic to a mile is the reason for a bigger gun. Still plan to attempt it with the Creedmoor once I am finished with load development. I started over from scratch loading the rounds long and single feeding them. Looking for my max charge and watching velocity spreads and group sizes as I go.
– St. Augustine
Old July 6, 2020, 02:45 PM   #13
TXAZ

Berger, Cutting Edge and a few others are frequent winners of our .50 matches.
But, for your specific gun, you just need to try enough of each bullet with each load to find out what works best for you.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old July 6, 2020, 04:29 PM   #14
kilotanker22

Looks like I can keep the Hornady 300 grain A-Tip up to Mach 1.17 at 1800 yards if I can start it at 2900 fps from that 30 inch barrel. That info was gathered using Hornady's 4DOF Calculator
– St. Augustine
Old July 9, 2020, 06:36 AM   #15
stagpanther

I have a savage 110 338 lapua magnum LRH with a HD 5 atop and LOVE the combination. I can't remember where I saw it (or the exact number) but maybe a year ago or so Bryan Litz commented that after extensive testing he had settled on something around 285 (or 295?) grs (I think) as being the sweet spot for 338 LM long range projectile weight.

It costs a bit more--but you won't regret the HD 5; finest scope I've ever purchased.

Last edited by stagpanther; July 9, 2020 at 06:44 AM.
Old July 13, 2020, 05:08 PM   #16
Vegaslawdog

Are you shooting competitively or as a hobby? If you're shooting competitvely, I would like th 7mm-08 is probably the better option - or the 300 win mag. Some competitions don't allow muzzle brakes and limit the overal weight of a rilfe, which makes the .338 a difficult choice considering the number of rounds you have to shoot. Regardless, I hope you keep us posted as to the choice you make and the results you achieve.
Old July 27, 2020, 08:57 AM   #17
kilotanker22

I am not shooting competitively. Just for fun
– St. Augustine