The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 2, 2020, 04:11 PM   #1
TruthTellers

oops, primer went off during priming.

Was using the RCBS hand primer and a primer got stock in the pocket. Trying to remove the case, but could not, so I figured it needed an extra push and POP!

It was a Federal primer btw. Didn't do any damage, but it did blow the case off the universal case holder (it doesn't use a standard shellholder.

I was indoors while this happened, I know primers have chemicals in them. I was in the room for a few minutes then remembered the chemicals and left for about 20 minutes. Should I fumigate the room or am I okay to still do reloading in it?
Old July 2, 2020, 04:14 PM   #2
nhyrum

Crack a window and get airflow. If it was just one, there isn't a terrible hazard, but why not dissipate it regardless.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old July 2, 2020, 04:20 PM   #3
TruthTellers

I did have a ceiling fan and a desk fan blowing and I've got a window fan going right now.

I'm back in the room btw, loading up some .38. Other than my left ear feels a bit "full" now, I feel fine.
Old July 2, 2020, 04:43 PM   #4
FlyFish

Approximately 35% of the material in a primer is lead styphnate and lead peroxide. Upon ignition, elemental lead is formed and ejected (along with other combustion products and, obviously, the bullet,etc.) into the air. The risk comes from inhalation of this fine lead dust and, when discharging a completed cartridge and not just the primer, from lead atomized from the bullet if using one that has exposed lead. Lead exposure resulting in serum (blood) lead concentrations that present a clear risk to health is well-documented in shooters who use indoor ranges, range employees, and firearms instructors. That said, the amount of lead contained in a single primer is minuscule and extremely unlikely to result in harmfully elevated serum lead concentrations. You should not be concerned.
Old July 2, 2020, 10:00 PM   #5
Swampduck

One primer? You shoot your reloads right? And from guns you’re holding and brass you handle afterwards? Exceptionally overblown concern over this I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 2, 2020, 10:28 PM   #6
Mike38

I wouldn't worry about chemical exposure one time. But this primer going off does peak my interest. I have, for some reason, pressed primers in sideways and they got stuck in the shell holder. The only way to get the case out that I know of, is finish seating / crushing the primer in enough to slip the case out. I have never had one detonate. Maybe I'm lucky? Maybe I shouldn't have said this, because it's going to bite me next time?
Old July 2, 2020, 11:21 PM   #7
Metal god

Interesting, I use the same hand primer . Im actually going to do a primer kill test and will need to fire several in empty cases . Guess I’ll be testing outside in a wind storm lol

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old July 2, 2020, 11:49 PM   #8
rclark

And and and to tink we used to shoot wax bollets in the basement with just the prizer for the push... and some .22 as well.... Anyway, nothing to worry about unless you make a habit of it. When I get a pack of old primers , I'll usually prime a couple of empties and pop them to make sure they still work before loading a set. That said, I've never had one yet go off while priming or de-priming. Never say never though.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.

Last edited by rclark; July 2, 2020 at 11:58 PM.
Old July 3, 2020, 01:10 AM   #9
ms6852

At the beginning I thought he was referring the smell from his underwear because he started with crack a window. Luckily for me I have never had one go off yet.
Old July 3, 2020, 10:25 AM   #10
Unclenick
Staff

If you have small kids around your place ever, it won't hurt to wipe off the surfaces dust could settle on, just to be super cautious.

I inhaled a lot of primer smoke in the days before indoor range ventilation became required. Blood lead level testing at that time showed me just below the concern threshold. Since then (early '80s), it has gone way down.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 3, 2020, 10:38 AM   #11
ammo.crafter

primer

What happens to the primer fumes during normal ignition? Are they in the air we breathe?
Old July 3, 2020, 10:49 AM   #12
Unclenick
Staff

I believe most of the lead stays in the primer pocket carbon residue cake and cartridge case and buried in the powder fouling in the bore. I don't know what percentage actually emerges in the smoke, but yes, you can breathe it in. Outdoors it dissipates pretty well, but I wouldn't let small children police brass out in front of the firing line today. When I was a kid we did, but that was before lead toxicity consciousness.

We had a member report awhile back that a friend of his who did lead contamination testing professionally tested his loading bench areas for lead. The friend didn't find unacceptable levels anywhere except around the vibratory tumbler, which vibrates primer residue out of the cases to become dust that gets into the air during media separating. He said that even his bullet casting area didn't test as being excessive, but the floor around the tumbler was bad.
Old July 3, 2020, 11:02 AM   #13
Swampduck

Sure. Primer fumes in the air when you shoot. So is gunpowder residuals and some lead from the bullet if you shoot FMJ or cast lead. That’s why indoor ranges have strong ventilation pulling downrange. If yours doesn’t - shoot somewhere else.

Also assume all the surfaces have lead contamination and wash your hands thoroughly after and/or use d-lead wipes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old July 3, 2020, 11:04 AM   #14
Unclenick
Staff

I assume you mean range surfaces.
Old July 3, 2020, 11:05 AM   #15
Swampduck

Yes. Range surfaces where you shoot. The bench. The floor if you pick up brass. The doorknobs, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old July 4, 2020, 01:08 AM   #16
Reloader270

You would probably get more contamination from the street than from the one primer that went off. So do not worry about it.
Old July 4, 2020, 02:53 PM   #17
44 AMP
Staff

If primer goes off when seating, YOU did something wrong. Figure out what it is, and DON'T DO THAT!

I spent decades working with radioactive and chemical contamination, including IDLH atmospheres. If you are concerned, dig up the MSDS (or whatever its called today) and look at the levels of materials in the product, and the exposure limits. Specifically look for the occupational exposure limit.

this is the limit considered "safe" for you to be exposed to, 8hrs a day, 40hrs a week for your working life (decades). IF you are below that, (and you will be FAR, FAR below that) you are "safe".

ONE primer is insignificant. Don't worry about it.