The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 6, 2020, 03:57 PM   #1
Zzeke

The Meprolights on my Glock 23 are Getting Tired. Recommendations?

I've had the same set of meprolight night sights on my Glock 23 for going on 11 years. They are very dim, and my old eyes don't help the situation either. It's definitely time to replace the sights. Is there a particular brand of night sights that is brighter than the others? I'd like to go with the brightest ones I can find. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old July 6, 2020, 07:43 PM   #2
Cyanide971

Zeke, here’s an example of three different types of night sights. From left to right:
• Meprolite.
• TruGlo TFX Pro.
• Ameriglo Bold.

Personally I love how bright the TFX Pro are because of the fiber optics during the daytime. However, I’m not a fan of a rear U-Notch so my preferred sights are the Ameriglos, which came already installed on this particular Glock 26 and my Glock 45.

Another Ameriglo sight I am a huge fan of and have installed on my Beretta PX4 Compact and, am presently getting installed on the above mentioned Glock 26, is the front sight from an Ameriglo CAP set. Having a square orange outline that fills the entire area of the front sight around the tritium vial is amazing and, keeps everything in a nice squared off angle and appearance.

Old July 6, 2020, 08:34 PM   #3
Sevens

I have Mepro’s on my old Glock (circa 2008) and on my current EDC, Walther PPQ.

I think Trijicons are more popular and I think Trijicons are visibly more bright — and in low light/no light, I like the more sedate Mepro’s better.

Of course, that is without firing blinding shots. I might change my mind if I did some no/low light training.

If you liked your Mepro’s (I sure do) then get ‘em again.
Old July 6, 2020, 09:48 PM   #4
Dan-O

Thought glock could change out the old sights for new ones. Just send the slide back? At least I thought they used to fo this for a small fee.

If you want something better than mepros I’d go truglo tfx
Old July 7, 2020, 02:24 AM   #5
DaleA

Quote:
Thought glock could change out the old sights for new ones. Just send the slide back? At least I thought they used to for this for a small fee.
Dan-O, you are correct. Just send the slide in to Glock, no hassle about sending a gun through the mail, you're just sending the slide.

Seven or eight months ago this service was available although I remember I had a tough time finding it on the Glock web site. I was surprised how reasonably priced the service was...I think it was about $40 at the time.

Welp, did a quick search and cannot find that service on the Glock site now. Also I think my $40 comment was way off. Maybe the price got raised or maybe my memory is going. (You do know memory is the second thing to go as we age.)

Eh...more checking and did find this description of the service which is more hopeful than helpful but I'll pass it along.
http://blog.gunlink.info/2015/12/07/...ret-in-sights/

Last edited by DaleA; July 7, 2020 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Did some checking on the Glock site.
Old July 7, 2020, 09:34 PM   #6
veprdude

Trijicon used to replace the pills in the sights (not the sights themselves) I think for $18 a pill. Send your slide in and they send it back. So $54 refreshes your sights. Meprolight and others could not do this since they are foreign made and something something dirty bomb about shipping tritium around the world.

If Trijicon still offers this service AND you plan on keeping the pistol long enough for the sights to get dim (10 years), it makes a lot of sense to get Trijicons.