The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 6, 2020, 08:37 AM   #26
jman841

Yea, I was debating between the two. The most tempting part of the XL was the optics cut. I do wish they had it on both as it would be fun to play with at the range. Have you ran it with an optic? How do you like it?
Old July 6, 2020, 08:44 AM   #27
TunnelRat

I haven’t no. I had been waiting for the Holosun 507k to be available. I’ve seen the Romeo Zero but I’ve seen some not so positive reviews as well and it doesn’t seem as robust as the Holosun. I have a 507c and after a warranty exchange for a defect my replacement has been pretty impressive so I’d rather go the Holosun route, even if it costs more.

FWIW I just did 3 days of pistol red dot optics focused courses at SIG Sauer Academy and an instructor there sent his P365 slide out to be milled for a red dot, so you could go that route too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 6, 2020, 09:01 AM   #28
jman841

Cool, let us know once you get it, how you like it.

I'll prob have my Glock 19 milled out first and see how I like red dots on pistols before doing the Sig.

I do like the red dot on my AR-15 as it allows me to keep both eyes open and very easily see the dot on the target. Will have to try it out on a pistol.
Old July 6, 2020, 09:23 AM   #29
jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingramite View Post
SIG p290RS is a 9mm pocket gun that's 100% and comes in at around $400 +/-.
Or try one of the S&W Wonder 9s like the 469. Around $450 all day long

Both of these were King Of The Hill in their day. They are still fine hammer fired pistols that have not outlived their usefulness. Not new but great nonetheless.

I believe you will be surprised by these two pistols if you take the time to look into them.
Here is the Sig P290RS sitting on top of the ORIGINAL Factory Compact Wonder 9; my 469.

Old July 6, 2020, 11:17 AM   #30
ZeroTX

I prefer the M&P Shield because it's thinner than the double-stack sub-compacts (there's a reason the Shield revolutionized the 9mm sub-compact market, Glock's 43 is a direct attempt to compete with it). The M2.0 version has a great new grip stipling. They are great shooters. Fun just for target shooting. No snap at all.
Old July 6, 2020, 12:54 PM   #31
jman841

I've shot them, they are nice guns, but it's .95" width vs. 1" width with the P365, which is also smaller in every other dimension and carry's 10+1 vs. 7+1 (Flush mount for both).
Old July 6, 2020, 02:00 PM   #32
stephen426

Looks like you already went with the Sig 365. I shot one, but I decided to go with the Springfield Armory Hellcat instead. I like the trigger better on the Hellcat and It ships with a 11 round mag and a 13 round mag. The grip texture can be a bit abrasive for some people though. The front sight came standard as a night sight which is a nice plus. The size is pretty close to the Sig 365 so as long as you're happy with your decision, its all good.
Old July 6, 2020, 02:26 PM   #33
stinkeypete

Rodfac- my hat is off to you, sir. Photos of range results showing 10 shots and stating the distance is very valuable to me. That's a very good group of 10.

Do you recall what ammunition you were using? Not that it really matters- "real life" range results are very valuable to me. I am assuming that group was from a sandbag or you are an excellent shot- either way, the pistol is holding it's accuracy and my impression of the 365 puts it even higher on my shopping list.
Old July 6, 2020, 05:33 PM   #34
jman841

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen426 View Post
Looks like you already went with the Sig 365. I shot one, but I decided to go with the Springfield Armory Hellcat instead. I like the trigger better on the Hellcat and It ships with a 11 round mag and a 13 round mag. The grip texture can be a bit abrasive for some people though. The front sight came standard as a night sight which is a nice plus. The size is pretty close to the Sig 365 so as long as you're happy with your decision, its all good.
I looked at them both but decided to go with the Sig for a few reasons. For me, I love the modularity of the Sig. being able to easily swap out grip modules is really cool as I can convert it to different size grips/rails/designs etc. There's already a ton of options on the market, but excited to see what more will come.

I agree the trigger on the hellcat is nicer as it's got a wall and a crisp break vs. the creep heavy sig trigger, but I do suspect there's tons of options for changing the sig trigger as aftermarket support is huge for the P365 vs. the Hellcat.
Old July 6, 2020, 06:43 PM   #35
rodfac

Quote:
Do you recall what ammunition you were using? Not that it really matters- "real life" range results are very valuable to me. I am assuming that group was from a sandbag or you are an excellent shot- either way, the pistol is holding it's accuracy and my impression of the 365 puts it even higher on my shopping list.
Stinky, the ammunition was Federal American Eagle 124 gr FMJ's (hard to see but marked on the target). Federal's white box 124 gr JHP's (the cheap ones) do every bit as well!

I had less than 200 rounds through the gun at the time and shot it at 10 yds, offhand, slow fire, from a two-handed Weaver Stance,no bags...hey, even I get lucky from time to time! I continue to be amazed at the gun's accuracy...now over 1300 rounds and still 99.99% reliable. Hope yours works out as well. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old July 8, 2020, 04:36 AM   #36
wmg1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman841 View Post
So, after all that debate, I went with the P365.

Since it is the smallest platform, it will be the easiest to conceal. If I decide I want a larger frame, I can easily swap the grip module with the P365 XL Grip module for a few bucks as the serialized part is the trigger group, not the frame. Also, with the 12 round mag, The length gets on par with the G43x. I also held it compared with the Taurus G2S and the G2S, which is thinner than the G3c, is significantly larger.

Finally, I got it exactly how I wanted it for $455 before tax (Bass pro + Military discount + member rewards). Which is an excellent price, even pre-COVID.

Really happy I "pulled the trigger" and went with the P365 as I was way overthinking it.
I think you made a great choice. I own both the 43x and the 365, and over time the 365 has become my edc. They are both fine pistols, but the 365 is more comfortable to carry. I normally carry with a 12 round magazine, but I like having the option to move down to the 10 round if more concealment is required.
Old July 8, 2020, 07:01 AM   #37
jman841

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmg1299 View Post
I think you made a great choice. I own both the 43x and the 365, and over time the 365 has become my edc. They are both fine pistols, but the 365 is more comfortable to carry. I normally carry with a 12 round magazine, but I like having the option to move down to the 10 round if more concealment is required.
Very cool, I was debating between the 365 and 365xl, but the whole reason for the 365 is ultimate ease of carry so the XL would defeat that purpose.

For the 43x, my decision point was that right now they are nearly impossible to find in stock, and given that it's a standard 10 round mag pistol, I highly doubt any bans after the election will target it. So, I can wait for availability to come back to normal in 2021 (Maybe), and then get one on blue label for $350, where as right now I would be paying a premium for one if I could find one.

As for shootability, which do you prefer?
Old July 8, 2020, 07:09 AM   #38
stephen426

The stock Glock triggers on the sub-compacts aren’t great. I have the 43 and I ended up putting an Agency Arms trigger and a Double Diamond connector. I know a lot of people don’t like the idea of modifying carry pistols, but it shoots a lot nicer and makes it easier to hit the target.
Old July 8, 2020, 09:24 AM   #39
mel80

Quote:
Very cool, I was debating between the 365 and 365xl, but the whole reason for the 365 is ultimate ease of carry so the XL would defeat that purpose.

As for shootability, which do you prefer?
i have both , bot are super easy to carry , barley notice the extra size of the xl at all , infact if u carry the 365 with the 12rd ext mag the grips are almost identical in size

i appendix carry both in sidecar style holsters, to me they both shoot the same though i prefer the flat trigger on the xl , prolly buy one for the 365 as well
Old July 8, 2020, 12:20 PM   #40
jman841

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel80 View Post
i have both , bot are super easy to carry , barley notice the extra size of the xl at all , infact if u carry the 365 with the 12rd ext mag the grips are almost identical in size

i appendix carry both in sidecar style holsters, to me they both shoot the same though i prefer the flat trigger on the xl , prolly buy one for the 365 as well
Is there any difference in feel of the grip between the P365XL vs. the P365 with the 12 round magazine and grip sleeve?

What my real question is, is there any benefit of getting the P365XL Grip Module vs. just getting the 12 round magazine with the sleeve on it?
Old July 8, 2020, 02:51 PM   #41
TunnelRat

Quote:
Is there any difference in feel of the grip between the P365XL vs. the P365 with the 12 round magazine and grip sleeve?

What my real question is, is there any benefit of getting the P365XL Grip Module vs. just getting the 12 round magazine with the sleeve on it?

That’s a good question, and a thing I waffled between when I bought my XL. For me the P365 without the XL grip was shorter than I find comfortable. Assuming that’s not a problem for you, one difference I found personally was that with the 12 rd extended baseplate magazines in the regular P365 the magazines didn’t always drop free. This wasn’t the gun, this was the fact that the exterior of those extended baseplates kept getting caught by my hands and the magazines wouldn’t drop free (the contact between my hand and the baseplates held the magazines in the pistol unless I deliberately flared my hand). This wasn’t an issue with the XL grip. The bottom of the XL grip is also flared to aid in doing magazine changes. Is this a critical difference? I don’t think so, but it’s a nice to have thing.

Old July 8, 2020, 03:14 PM   #42
jman841

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
That’s a good question, and a thing I waffled between when I bought my XL. For me the P365 without the XL grip was shorter than I find comfortable. Assuming that’s not a problem for you, one difference I found personally was that with the 12 rd extended baseplate magazines in the regular P365 the magazines didn’t always drop free. This wasn’t the gun, this was the fact that the exterior of those extended baseplates kept getting caught by my hands and the magazines wouldn’t drop free (the contact between my hand and the baseplates held the magazines in the pistol unless I deliberately flared my hand). This wasn’t an issue with the XL grip. The bottom of the XL grip is also flared to aid in doing magazine changes. Is this a critical difference? I don’t think so, but it’s a nice to have thing.

Thanks for the response, aside from the magazines dropping free (I don't carry spare mags, so wouldn't be concerned with a reload in a defensive situation), do you notice any other difference or do they feel the same?

Seems like just getting the 12 rounders would give me the option of the XL grip feel and if I want the flat Trigger, that's an easy swap.

The only downside is the lack of optics cut. I'm surprised Sig doesn't have an optics cut version of the regular P365, or a kit that comes with the P365 slide with optics cut and the Romeo 0.

I think it's brilliant that they include it on the XL and it's proprietary to their optic, which seems to be priced pretty reasonably compared to other pistol red dots.
Old July 8, 2020, 05:01 PM   #43
TunnelRat

Quote:
Thanks for the response, aside from the magazines dropping free (I don't carry spare mags, so wouldn't be concerned with a reload in a defensive situation), do you notice any other difference or do they feel the same?

Seems like just getting the 12 rounders would give me the option of the XL grip feel and if I want the flat Trigger, that's an easy swap.

The only downside is the lack of optics cut. I'm surprised Sig doesn't have an optics cut version of the regular P365, or a kit that comes with the P365 slide with optics cut and the Romeo 0.

I think it's brilliant that they include it on the XL and it's proprietary to their optic, which seems to be priced pretty reasonably compared to other pistol red dots.

Think of it this way. Even if you were to get a XL grip module you would still need 12 rd magazines as the 10 rd magazines are too short. So yeah were I you I’d get the magazines first and then if you really want it later you can get the XL module.

Old July 8, 2020, 06:29 PM   #44
jman841

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
Think of it this way. Even if you were to get a XL grip module you would still need 12 rd magazines as the 10 rd magazines are too short. So yeah were I you I’d get the magazines first and then if you really want it later you can get the XL module.

Great point. Now, where to find the 12 rounders in stock. Can't seem to find them anywhere. And $40 a mag, while not the most expensive, def a lot different than Glock mags hah.
Old July 8, 2020, 06:41 PM   #45
TunnelRat

9mm Sub-Compact Carry Gun Selection

Yeah not an easy time currently to find P365 mags. The retailers I typically try are:

GregCote
CDNNSports
GunmagWarehouse
Brownells
MidwayUSA

But they're all out.

I did find them in stock in one place, but you won't like the price:

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/magaz...el=1535&q=p365

Last edited by TunnelRat; July 8, 2020 at 08:54 PM.
Old July 9, 2020, 06:14 AM   #46
MisterCrabby

Quote:
So, after all that debate, I went with the P365.

Since it is the smallest platform, it will be the easiest to conceal. If I decide I want a larger frame, I can easily swap the grip module with the P365 XL Grip module for a few bucks as the serialized part is the trigger group, not the frame. Also, with the 12 round mag, The length gets on par with the G43x. I also held it compared with the Taurus G2S and the G2S, which is thinner than the G3c, is significantly larger.

Finally, I got it exactly how I wanted it for $455 before tax (Bass pro + Military discount + member rewards). Which is an excellent price, even pre-COVID.

Really happy I "pulled the trigger" and went with the P365 as I was way overthinking it.

Congrats.
Old July 9, 2020, 07:05 AM   #47
jman841

Thank you, to both responses.
Old July 9, 2020, 11:19 AM   #48
jman841

I finally got it on hand (3 day wait). I'm very happy I went with the P365. Beautiful looking gun, feels great, and the size is incredible.

The one thing I am shocked at is how close in size it is to my LCP 2.

If I had done a size comparison between the two in person before buying the Ruger, I probably would of just went with the Sig and not purchased the ruger.

Glad to have them both as the Ruger is def more of a pocket/sneaky pete pistol, but it truely is amazing how close in size they are given the Sig is 9mm with 10 rounds.
Old July 9, 2020, 11:31 AM   #49
TunnelRat

Quote:
I finally got it on hand (3 day wait). I'm very happy I went with the P365. Beautiful looking gun, feels great, and the size is incredible.

The one thing I am shocked at is how close in size it is to my LCP 2.

If I had done a size comparison between the two in person before buying the Ruger, I probably would of just went with the Sig and not purchased the ruger.

Glad to have them both as the Ruger is def more of a pocket/sneaky pete pistol, but it truely is amazing how close in size they are given the Sig is 9mm with 10 rounds.

I remember the website you linked to. As good as that is, there is no true replacement for a hands on comparison. Enjoy your pistol.

Old July 9, 2020, 11:49 AM   #50
Eddiejoe

Back in September of last year, I got a good deal on 3 P365 mags for $118 shipped - 2x12 and 1 15 round.
Try here:
https://www.provenoutfitters.com/p36...t-9mm-magazine