The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 19, 2020, 01:12 PM   #1
Geezerbiker

Stevens 320 barrel

I was given a Stevens 320 barrel in a bunch of stuff left over after a friend passed away.

Anyway I didn't think I'd do anything with it but it looked like a dead ringer for the barrel on my Winchester 1300 Defender but with the barrel lug further back. So I figured it wouldn't hurt to see if it fit. It not only fits but it locks up just like the original barrel.

Anyone know if it would be safe to use it on my Winchester with a barrel spacer for the locking lug? I once considered buying another barrel for this shotgun but it always seemed to be a better option to just buy more shotguns.

It's made in China but you wouldn't know it with out the made in PRC stamp on the side...

Tony
Old June 19, 2020, 07:47 PM   #2
Romulus

I would not try it unless Winchester or Stevens expressly confirmed the barrel's interchangeability. Which they probably won't for liability reasons. So I wouldn't chance it until you get such confirmation.
Rom

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano
Old June 19, 2020, 08:17 PM   #3
Siggy-06

I would say if the barrel spacer was properly fitted by a gunsmith, out of a proper hardened steel, then yes. Test it with a low power load with a cylibder choke(if it has replaceable chokes).
Old June 19, 2020, 08:50 PM   #4
Virginian

I have an 11-87 stock on my Remington LT20 ans made a spacer out of a slice of PVC pipe. I am a retired gunsmith. As long as your bolt locks into an extension of the barrel you should be fine.
Old June 20, 2020, 07:22 AM   #5
Geezerbiker

It locks up like the 2 were made to go together. Other than the barrel lug being too far back it's hard to tell it wasn't made for the gun.

I did a little searching and it seems the Stevens 320 is a Chinese copy of the Winchester 1300.

Way back in the late 1980s when I bought the Winchester Defender and it was my only shotgun, I gave buying a second barrel a lot of thought but getting more shotguns over the years lessened the desire to do so. Anyway this 28" barrel looks unfired and has a choke tube. I'll have to scrounge up a choke tube tool and hope the isn't a witch to remove.

Any way when I pass this gun on to my grandkids, they'll have more options with it...

Tony
Old June 21, 2020, 01:24 PM   #6
Geezerbiker

Anybody know what choke tube tool to use with this barrel? I haven't seen any choke tube tools listed specifically for Savage...

Tony
Old August 21, 2020, 04:15 PM   #7
410guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezerbiker View Post
Anybody know what choke tube tool to use with this barrel? I haven't seen any choke tube tools listed specifically for Savage...

Tony
The Stevens 320 takes a winchoke / browning invector/mossberg 500 style choke tube, so any tool for those should work.

The 28 inch barrel came with a modified choke tube.