Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 5, 2020, 01:31 PM   #26
BigBL87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Good point...

LINK

Tool bag for range use...LINK
I don’t have tha5 one, but it looks good!
Those Harbor Freight cases are really nice for the price. Just used one of the tan 3800s and some kaizen foam to make a case for my spotting scope.

Old May 6, 2020, 07:16 PM   #27
FireForged

New gun? You dont need much..

a holster
a cleaning kit
ear and eye protection
ammo

Whatever else you "need" will present itself. That last thing you need to do is buy a bunch of junk that you dont need.

I would be much more concerned with being squared away on use of force law

In addition, I would focus more on practical training and less on "stuff".
Old May 7, 2020, 09:50 AM   #28
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalinka63 View Post
Greetings! I’ve been a member here since 2013, and finally ‘pulled the trigger’: took Maryland class, waiting for my HQL and permit, and ordered a Walther PPS M2!

I want to see what else I should get while I am waiting to pick up the pistol. I will use it for home self-defense (at least now I am not applying for a concealed carry in my state, although I am also waiting for my Utah CCW). Right now I have, or have ordered

-range bag
-mechanics gloves
-ear protection
-eye protection
-dry caps to practice loading
-gun cleaning kit
-gun bore snake
-a couple of ammo cases
-speed loader
-paper targets
-small gun safe

I have taken the NRA Basic Pistol class in 2013, and have been to gun ranges a few times in the last few years so I do have some experience, but plan on practicing a bit in the beginning.

Am I missing anything?
I think the absolutely worst question to ask a gun nut is, "what else do I need"? The list can be endless! Gun nut's don't buy what they need, the buy what they think they can't do without! As I recall with my first gun I got the gun and a box of ammo! That was back in the late 1950's!
Old May 7, 2020, 01:48 PM   #29
dyl

I would double up on hearing protection. Ear plugs and Ear muffs on top. I think it accelerates training especially for beginners because half the battle when learning is teaching your body to focus on fundamentals despite the noise, blast and recoil.

I still double up on hearing protection whenever I can because I'm in this for the long term game. I want to shoot a lot, shoot well, without becoming deaf.

Ammo. If you don't reload, ammo can get expensive. If I didn't reload I would get 1000 rounds of 9mm at a time, steel case because it's cheap. Or whatever deal you can find where prices are around $10 a box of 50 or so (or less). $12 and up is not a good deal. You might hear concerns about steel cased ammo, aside from being dirty and un-reloadable, more concern is on the rifle side of things with hotter gasses and even then the savings in ammo cost would equal replacing parts if anyone actually shot that much.

I'd ditch the gloves. if you need them there is something that should be addressed with your firearm or how you interface with it. You won't have gloves on during your self defense encounter.... Unless you like to wear gloves all the time! The PPS doesn't have particularly aggressive texturing, you'll be fine. You'll want targets too. And even you don't have a carry license for MD, I think you should get a holster and start practicing clean and safe draw strokes.

Good luck.
Old May 9, 2020, 12:31 AM   #30
Kalinka63

Thanks, round 2, for the hints.

I am pretty well covered legally, and do take training seriously enough that I will take a couple of courses or private instructions (I’ve already taken 2 of NRA’s courses but that was several years ago).

Good suggestions on the range bags. I am going to try Cabela’s $13 bag and see how I like it. I also have an old and somewhat tattered Billingham Camera Bag, quite versatile, which I might use when I am not going with anyone to the range (probably too small for 2 sets of ear and eye protection).

I also do appreciate the comments on ear protection, and suggestion to double up-it can’t hurt under normal circumstances.
Old May 9, 2020, 12:07 PM   #31
Nathan

Quote:
Good suggestions on the range bags. I am going to try Cabela’s $13 bag and see how I like it. I also have an old and somewhat tattered Billingham Camera Bag, quite versatile, which I might use when I am not going with anyone to the range (probably too small for 2 sets of ear and eye protection).
Give them a shot....long term they will most likely make you unhappy because they don’t handle the weight well.
Old May 17, 2020, 09:03 AM   #32
Kalinka63

For the money it's a nice case, the weight issue is ok, the bag is pretty well made and versatile, but the stitching for the zippers is relatively weak and I need to be careful about packing too much into the side pockets.

I would prefer a canvas bag but the next step is far more costly, and given that I won't be using the Cabela's bag very much I think that I can live with it.
Old May 17, 2020, 09:06 AM   #33
Kalinka63

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyl View Post
I would double up on hearing protection. Ear plugs and Ear muffs on top. I think it accelerates training especially for beginners because half the battle when learning is teaching your body to focus on fundamentals despite the noise, blast and recoil.

I still double up on hearing protection whenever I can because I'm in this for the long term game. I want to shoot a lot, shoot well, without becoming deaf.

Ammo. If you don't reload, ammo can get expensive. If I didn't reload I would get 1000 rounds of 9mm at a time, steel case because it's cheap. Or whatever deal you can find where prices are around $10 a box of 50 or so (or less). $12 and up is not a good deal. You might hear concerns about steel cased ammo, aside from being dirty and un-reloadable, more concern is on the rifle side of things with hotter gasses and even then the savings in ammo cost would equal replacing parts if anyone actually shot that much.

I'd ditch the gloves. if you need them there is something that should be addressed with your firearm or how you interface with it. You won't have gloves on during your self defense encounter.... Unless you like to wear gloves all the time! The PPS doesn't have particularly aggressive texturing, you'll be fine. You'll want targets too. And even you don't have a carry license for MD, I think you should get a holster and start practicing clean and safe draw strokes.

Good luck.
Good point on doubling up on hearing.

I took home my PPS yesterday, and after about five minutes of practicing loading, racking, etc. (with inert bullets) I remembered why I bought gloves years ago when practicing: My hands are somewhat weak (I often have trouble opening up plastic bottles of soda, for instance) and racking was borderline painful for me. I forgot that I didn't need the gloves for my firing hand so much as for the other hand.
Old May 18, 2020, 12:53 PM   #34
dyl

Difficulty racking

Hey Kalinka,

Glad you got a chance to go out and shoot. I've been setting up a reloading machine so I've been engrossed in that.

Difficulty racking. There's a couple approaches to that problem. First would be technique since there's a few ways to rack a slide. Most folks (and me too sometimes) approach racking the slide with what is called the "slingshot grip". The fingers of the support hand are curled, and the slide is pinched between the curled index finger and the thumb. This grip is only ergonomic when the pistol is farther in front of you and is a bit weak. But I find myself using it when diagnosing a problem or want the hold the pistol far in front of me.

A stronger way is the overhand grip, where the pistol is brought close to your abdomen (finger off the trigger), and the fingers of the support hand fold down and clamp the slide between the palm and the fingers (except for the thumb). The shooting hand keeps a tight grip on the stock/grips, the support hand clamps down and stays still. Then the shooting hand "punches out" while the only job of the support hand is to stay still, gripping the slide. To be safe when on a range with others, you may have to turn sideways a bit as the muzzle will point to your left (if you're right handed) and you would be punching to your left.

Pictures over here https://www.corneredcat.com/article/...ack-the-slide/ Pax is/was (don't know if she's still here) a mod on the site and I always liked the website even thought i'm not much of a feline.

The second thing you may consider is get a strip of "talon grips" - not pre-cut or shaped in any way, just a small sheet. If you follow the instructions of prep (I think rubbing alcohol), application, then heating with the hair dryer again and pressing it down, they are surprisingly sturdy. I would cut a strip to place on the outside face of the slide towards the rear. What I mean by outside is, for me, I would not want grippy rubber on the side facing me if I would carry it. Of course if one side is inadequate you could always do the other too. I've tried other brands - you'll find cheaper brands on the big online store that sounds like....Bamazon. But some are a bit too tacky and irritate the skin, and also don't stick to itself, only directly to polymer. With Talon grips, I hear that you could even layer it so you could make a little pyramid effect that increases in width a little bit - as long as it's well supported enough. I've used it on a slippery hard-chromed pistol frame and it's stuck very well.

That should help with racking. There are lots of videos of the technique online, but here's one addressing arthritis / grip strength issues, technique is from 2:30 to 3:30 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6Ztjf3s2rU

Good luck.
Old June 10, 2020, 12:43 AM   #35
Kalinka63

Thanks, the suggestions are making raking more easily (and I think that I after putting through more rounds the gun itself will be more broken in)
Old June 15, 2020, 01:04 PM   #36
Blaine Leonard

Allot of ammo and a range membership to practice shooting whenever you get the chance. If there's no range in your area, ask around town what back country road is good for shooting.