The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 22, 2019, 11:17 AM   #1
veprdude

Lynx 3-Gun vs Remington 1100

I've been eyeing a Lynx 3-Gun (12GA) and was wondering if anyone has owned/used one. Looking for a fun range toy to chew up various kinds of shotshells.

I also have an older (90's?) Remington 1100 (12GA) that I might add a magazine extender to scratch the itch.

Things I'm looking for are: rate of fire, muzzle rise, reloading, reliability and durability.
Old October 22, 2019, 01:13 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

1100's can be fussy about ammo. That's why Remington came out with the 11/87.
The Lynx is made in China. Parts and service could dry up suddenly. $40 or so for a mag too. And it'll depend on where you are if you can even have more than 5 so the "rate of fire" doesn't matter.
"...muzzle rise..." Easily controlled with a brake.
Pump guns go bang every time and have no ammo issues.
Old October 22, 2019, 02:11 PM   #3
eastbank

I have not found my 4 Remington 1100,s to be fussy with ammo, to me the only improvement in the 1187,s(I own two) was being able to fire 2-3/4" and 3" shells with out changing barrels. as a matter of fact most parts will interchange between the two.
Old October 22, 2019, 04:18 PM   #4
Virginian

1100s are not a bit fussy about ammo. The 11-87 was introduced to allow shooting 3" Magnums and 2-3/4" shells from one gun without switching barrels.
Old October 22, 2019, 04:55 PM   #5
veprdude

Any experience with extended mag tubes for 870/1100/1187? I'm in Texas so capacity restrictions aren't an issue and I don't hunt.
Old October 23, 2019, 01:29 PM   #6
GE-Minigun

I shoot skeet with a guy that runs 1100’s every now and then…he carries a bucket of parts when he does, as something is always breaking…nothing major, just small parts…the small parts that break; stop the gun though. Granted we’re shooting 2-300 at a time…
Old October 23, 2019, 03:22 PM   #7
Virginian

I shot skeet for years and never broke a single part. I have one with over 115,000 rounds thru it and it has only broken one extractor in 1982. The gun racks back in the 60s and 70s were so full of 1100s that people put tape markings on theirs so they could find it easily.
Old October 26, 2019, 11:56 AM   #8
ocharry

i changed out the loading gate,,,i call it a spoon,,,for the competition master part,,,the button on it is at least twice as long,,,maybe a little more,,,makes for easier reloading when you have to hit the button to open the gate

i also put on a choate 4 round mag extension and a choate large bolt handle,,,along with the choate black stock and forearm,,,with a slug barrel

so i made a poor mans competition master out of my older 1100,,,

its heavy when it is loaded,,holds 10 rounds,,,but she will rock,,,so with a little practice i can hold three rounds in my hand and with the comp master spoon installed i can stuff 3 rounds at a time in the mag,,,works pretty good,,took some practice but very doable

i also have an 870 set up pretty much the same way,,,i have used them both for training classes,,,they both worked out very well for me

i already had the guns so i just added parts to the ones i had,,,worked out good for me,,,and i still have the original stuff ,,so i can or could put them back to their original form if i wanted too

remington makes a 3 round mag extension,,,,,what ever you put on,,,make sure you use some kind of clamp to tie the mag extension to the barrel for support,,,

i will say that both my 1100 and 870 are older ones and does not have the funky mag tube the newer ones have with the dimples,,,mine are a straight through tube so nothing to hang anything on,,,or modify when you add a extension

just my .02

ocharry
Old October 26, 2019, 12:57 PM   #9
JWT

Never had any problems with my 1100 when i used it to shoot trap. Only thing I ever did was replace the O ring every so often (and of course keep the gun clean). It is not particular about ammo based on my experience.
Old October 26, 2019, 06:54 PM   #10
AK103K

I just recently picked up one of the Lynx 12's. Wanted one of the Saigas when they first showed up, just never got around to getting one.

Found this used at a local shop and grabbed it. Dont have a lot of trigger time on it right now, but a mix of a couple hundred rounds of mostly buck, some slugs, and some birdshot. It was having some troubles with the bird shot, but I never messed with the regulator, and it fed the others without issue.

I like the AK's and this is just a 12ga AK. Manual of arms is slightly different than the rifle, mainly with the reload, but its still a quick and easy reload. If youre familiar with the AK's, they handle basically the same.

Gun handles well, shoots easy, and recoil isnt out of the norm or weird. I prefer shorter stocked guns, and find the Lynx to be perfect as it comes.

I removed all the recoil pads on my other shotguns and replaced them with butt plates, trying to get a similar LOP.

The reload with these is the thing a little out of the norm for an AK. You need to have the bolt back to get a loaded mag in the gun. Its not a big deal, you just need to get used to doing it. I just put the butt in my right thigh, cup my right hand over the top cover and pull the charging handle back and hold it to the rear as I swap the mag. As soon as the mag locks in, I let it go, and the gun is loaded and ready.

The Lynx does have a BHO, but I really dont use it, or at least not for reloading the gun.

I also have an old 1100 with a Speedfeed pistol grip stock on it. Ive had that gun around for a number of years and was using it for practice for this type of gun.

Im not really a fan of shotguns for home defense, and the fact that they are slow to load, especially when empty, just makes them less desirable.

I dont leave "loaded" guns around the house. I do keep guns with mags on them handly, as they are easily and quickly loaded when needed. The Lynx falls into that category. The 1100, even with a sidesaddle and Speedfeed, does not.

Ive never really had any issue with the 1100 shooting wise, as long as it was clean. Prior to using it with the pistol grip stock, I used it to hunt with, and there were a few times it did choke, especially when I was shooting a lot, like while dove hunting.

I like the Lynx, especially with them being mag fed and having the same MOA as the AK. I think for the money too, they cant be beat.

The 10 round mag is a little big/long, but not unreasonable, and the 5 round is about the right length for normal handling.

The Chinese three cell AK chest bags will carry three 10 round mags (flaps dont close, but the mags arent going anywhere unless you pull on them), and you can get three full reloads of loose rounds in the small grenade pouches.
Old May 3, 2020, 01:02 AM   #11
veprdude

Update:

I ended up buying one as my Corona-Gun before they sold out everywhere. Got a chance to take it to the range. It ate up everything from Wally World- Federal/Winchester cheapy loads on the lowest gas setting. I was able to get 5 shotshells in the air at the same time. So it does load very fast. I had a few shells not completely chamber but a quick tap on the op lever sent them in. It could be due to undergassing and needs the gas setting to be adjusted for those. Overall very pleased. My arm was quite bruised. The butt is hard rubber and I guess it recoils a little more than a Remington 1100. I think I shot about 50 12ga shells.
Old May 3, 2020, 09:45 AM   #12
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
I shot skeet for years and never broke a single part. I have one with over 115,000 rounds thru it and it has only broken one extractor in 1982. The gun racks back in the 60s and 70s were so full of 1100s that people put tape markings on theirs so they could find it easily.
I have had several 1100s. They are either near perfect or pure junk. The good ones run forever and the junk ones stay broke down all the time. Funny thing is I cant tell any difference looking at them or figure out why some just seem to be cursed.
Old May 3, 2020, 08:27 PM   #13
Virginian

I think maybe owners have an influence. I have had 14 1100s/11-87s and that one extractor was the only issue. However I have replaced about everything on other's guns. Couldn't fix a cracked receiver - gun had drilled out ports.