The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 23, 2020, 07:37 PM   #1
SurplusShooter23

What should I do with this 1100?

Going to be picking up this Remington 1100 in 12 gauge tomorrow. Will have better pictures once I do.

Thinking of going two ways with this one but wanted your advice. Refinish it to semi original condition or made it into an HD shotgun with extended mag tube.

If I were to restore it to original I would strip down the stock and forearm and refinish. With the pitting on the receiver I’m not sure I can get that out so think about have it duracoated.

If it’s to be made into an HD gun can I cut the barrel down, install mag tube and expect it to be reliable? I read somewhere a while back that the different barrel lengths had different size gas holes. Will have to do some more research there.

Thoughts? Keep in mind I already have a 1187 in field condition with 26” barrel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old April 23, 2020, 07:50 PM   #2
navy87guy

What should you do with it?

Give it to me!
Old April 23, 2020, 07:56 PM   #3
Bill DeShivs

Just lightly scrub the receiver with 0000 steel wool. You'll be surprised at how good it will look. The wood doesn't look like it needs refinishing at all.
Old April 23, 2020, 08:09 PM   #4
SurplusShooter23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
Just lightly scrub the receiver with 0000 steel wool. You'll be surprised at how good it will look. The wood doesn't look like it needs refinishing at all.

Thanks for the advice on the 0000 steel wood. It’s been about ten years since I did any refinishing but if I remember correctly I should use a little gun oil when I do that.

I’ll have to dig up the Marlin 1995SS I redid.

Any advice on cleaning up the stock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old April 24, 2020, 06:39 AM   #5
Virginian

Remington stocks with that RKW finish are tough, but it can be done.
If you cut the barrel you may have to experiment around with gas port size to see what it takes to be reliable with your choice of ammo.
Old April 24, 2020, 06:55 AM   #6
cc-hangfire

A few thoughts (& free advice is worth what you pay for it!):
- Virginian is right; the factory finish is EXTREMELY durable - it is a nylon compound if I remember correctly. It can be done but you’ll have to sand it off, nothing will strip it.
- you can find replacement barrels if the original is worth keeping. It’s more $ but you can buy what you want (slug barrel w rifle sights, shorter length, etc).

If it were me: since you have the 1187 for a field gun, make it HD. And personally, I wouldn’t care how it looked for that use since it’s a tool so 0000 steel wool, cold blue as needed, oil (I use Johnson paste wax on some firearm tools - it lasts longer than oil) the receiver, clean up the wood, cut the barrel, pop on a fiber optic front bead sleeve, add the extended mag tube if you’d like, disassemble & do a thorough cleaning, replace o-ring gas seals, and after test firing it’s good to go.