The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 9, 2010, 02:56 PM   #1
hal9000

Winchester M70 specific bedding info wanted

Hi all,
I've been poking around here and other places on the internet for a few days now looking for Winchester model 70 specific bedding instructions and tutorials that include photos showing the process. To date I haven't had much luck though.

Does anybody know where I might find something specific? I've bedded rifles before but never a Winchester and sure would like to see what the "experts" have done before I just dive in and use my best judgement.

Thanks
Old December 9, 2010, 04:01 PM   #2
BruceM

There is nothing mystical about the bedding. The action has two screws and a recoil lug. Winchester used to put a plastic type bedding compound in the stock's recoil lug mortise but I don't know it they still do. I would glass the recoil lug, free float the barrel and pillar bed the two action screws. You probably can find a schematic drawing at the Numrich Gun Parts web site. If you've done other rifles, this should be a no brainer.

Bruce
Old December 9, 2010, 05:28 PM   #3
hal9000

Thanks Bruce.

I'm sure I could do a decent job. This is more a matter of making sure I don't overdo it. Probably just a personal quirk of mine, but I've been surprised a couple times by how little bedding is needed on some rifles. This one has some sentimental value and I'm a bit gunshy (no pun intended) about goofing it up.
Old December 9, 2010, 05:42 PM   #4
PetahW

I've gotten my best results from glas-bedding Winchester Model 70's exactly the same way Mauser 98's are glas-bedded.

They also have the same "no-touch" areas: the recoil lug front, bottom & both sides; the rear of the rear tang; and the sides of the action rails.
FWIW, I ensure a very slight clearance at those areas with a thin layer of tape on the metal prior to applyng the release agent & bedding compound.

Featherweights usually benefit from some "up" pressure, about 1-1/2" from the forend tip.

Old December 18, 2010, 09:41 AM   #5
whitefish

Quote:
Featherweights usually benefit from some "up" pressure, about 1-1/2" from the forend tip.
I doing some work on a bone stalk Model 70 Featherweight Classic which may include glass bedding and floating the barrel. I found out that the all Model 70's made since 1992 were free floated from the recoil lug on (phone call with Winchester-FN). Currently, my featherweight has a slightly warped stock that is putting pressure on the left side of the barrel. My first two shots are usually right on top of each other, but after that they start to string to the left. I'm thinking of floating the stock and putting a temporary pressure pad in at the tip. If this helps stabilize the groups, I'll likely glass in a pressure point at the tip.