The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 21, 2006, 02:26 PM   #1
trooper3385

Rangerfinder Questions

I'm looking to get a rangefinder, but I don't have any experience with them. I would like to get a rangefinder that I can also use as bonoculars instead of having to carry around both. I really like the Leupold RB-800C, but I don't know anyone that has any experience with them. I really like that it is a bonocular instead of the monocular. I also found a model that Burris makes that is also a bonocular. I also hear really good things about the Leica 1200 rangefinder, but it is a monocular. From what I hear, the swarovski is the top of the line, but alittle out of the price range. I haven't really checked around on the Nikon or Busnell, mainly because all there models are the monoculars. If anyone has any experience with any of these models, let me know what you like or dislike about them and what you would suggest.
Old September 21, 2006, 02:33 PM   #2
gunslinger1911ACP

I bought a Nikon Prostaff 440 last year. It's not top of the line, but for $200, I found it to be more than sufficient. I tested it in my neighborhood and found it to be very accurate. My deer kills while using this rangefinder were well placed shots at 180-250 yds, as my .30-06 was sighted in at 150yds.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...756&hasJS=true

Last edited by gunslinger1911ACP; September 22, 2006 at 11:13 AM.
Old September 21, 2006, 04:03 PM   #3
Scorch

Bushnell makes a monocular rangefinder that reads out to 1500 yds, and a binocular that reads out to 1300 yds. Either of them is cheaper than the Leupold, and will work very well.
Old September 21, 2006, 04:55 PM   #4
taylorce1

Quote:
I really like the Leupold RB-800C
I have one and really like it, works great and is very clear. I didn't pay much over $400 for mine with shipping, got it on auctionarms.com. I don't know how much the Bushnell's cost but they are probably good as well. If you can compare them side to side that will help with your decision. I like it in the Bino version because I don't like to carry extra gear, if I was bow hunting I'd probably go with a smaller lighter version that was a monocular style.
Old September 21, 2006, 05:05 PM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I bought a Bushnell 800 when they first came out. As near as I can tell from checking at some known distances, it's accurate throughout its range.

Art
Old September 21, 2006, 06:47 PM   #6
youp

I asked the same question earlier this summer, also on another forum. It seemed to me that the Leica was the brand all others were compared to. I started watching e-Bay and found second hand 800 models seemed to trade for around 300 dollars.

The 800 model ranges to 875 yards. That is twice the distance I plan on ever shooting at an unwounded critter. It is also about 200 yards further than I can see .

Some of the key features seemed to be clear optics and an LED display.

I just received my Leica 800 that was advertised as excellent condition, I believe it is. I payed slightly over 300 dollars for it. It seems to be very easy to operate. I believe that I made a good choice.

Good luck in your quest.