The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 20, 2006, 04:17 PM   #1
Northslope Nimrod

Opinions on CVA Wolf .50?

Specifically, has anyone shot one/owned one? They are only $129. They are break open. Those are two nice qualities.

Also, they have a short barrel. How much accuracy & velocity is lost? (other than the shorter sight plane issue)
Old August 21, 2006, 11:29 PM   #2
arcticap

These are the reviews that have currently been submitted at the Basspro website: Overall Rating 3.8 out of 5

Product Reviews Review This Product Date - Newest First Date - Oldest First Rating - High to Low Rating - Low to High Helpfulness - High to Low Helpfulness - Low to High

Review #1

Overall Rating: 1 out of 5

CVA Wolf magnum, August 7, 2006
By dax9317 from Lyons, Nebraska

"Most inaccurate gun I have every owned. I have tried everything to get it to work and have had no luck. Changed powered types and loads along with bullet types. Nothing has made a differnce. Ended up buying a different Muzzleloader all together."

What do you usually hunt?: Other
How many times a year do you hunt on average?: 11+

Was this review helpful to you? Yes No (Report Inappropriate Review)

Review #2

Overall Rating: 4 out of 5

Small cost, but BIGTIME performance, July 12, 2006
By fisheswithpole from Hilliard, OH

"I have longed for one of those expensive laminated muzzleloaders with stainless barrel, etc. However, budget limited purchase to CVA Wolf .50 Caliber. Aside from the sheer cosmetics of the other pricier muzzleloaders... this muzzleloader performed extremely well at 100 yds, 150 yds and most impressive at 200 yds. Awesome tru-glo sites, tapped for easy scope mounting. Easy on your wallet, hard on the deer!"

What do you usually hunt?: Deer

1 of 1 people found this review helpful.

Review #3

Overall Rating: 5 out of 5

WOW! affordable accuracy, July 11, 2006
By Hunt, Trap, Fish what else is there from Ontario, Canada

"I purchased a CVA Wolf last year and the next day right out of the box first shot fired, a 4 point Buck was on the way to the butcher. Using CVA Power Belts and American Pioner Powder I practced with the standard sites and a week later got a bear.

The gun now has a 3x9 scope on it and shoots 3 inch groups at 300 yards and is set for this season, will be going for Bear, Deer, and maybe Moose. I also plan on trying some Coyote in August.

There is so much good with this gun I can't tell enough people.

I'll say it again AFFORDABLE ACCURCY>

Thanks Dan"

2 of 2 people found this review helpful.

Review #4

Overall Rating: 5 out of 5

C. Smith, July 11, 2006
By Anonymous

"Is a great shooting gun, easy to shoot, lite weight and is accurate. it's easy to clean and is affordable."

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...&cmCat=3337162
-----------------------------------------

A barrel may lose a small amount of velocity per inch for being shorter, if I had to take a wild guess maybe 50 feet per second for every inch shorter compared to a longer barrel, and maybe a little accuracy at long range too, but it usually isn't significant unless you really want to spend a little extra money and get a similiar model with a longer barrel. Also powder type can make up some of the difference. But the shorter barrels sometimes do handle better when hunting in thick cover.
Did you notice that the length of pull is listed as being 14.43 inches on the CVA website?
http://www.cva.com/products/rifle_wolf.htm
Old August 22, 2006, 10:58 AM   #3
FirstFreedom

Northslope, BassPro has a Traditions "Lightning" .50 on sale for $99, which is less than the CVA wolf, and has a 26" fluted barrel - it's a blued / synthetic. Do you have a BassPro near you? If not, you can order online, I'd imagine. Looks better than the wolf - I bought one. Wait a sec, nevermind, you want the break-open feature, correct? I really don't think you'd lose much velocity at all with shorter barrel - the bigger the bore, the less velocity loss per loss of inch of barrel length, and a .50 is a BIG bore.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/longgun...s/muscle_1104/
Old August 22, 2006, 12:08 PM   #4
Northslope Nimrod

How hard is the Traditions to clean? I've assumed the break action type are easiest to clean.
Old August 22, 2006, 12:13 PM   #5
Clayfish

I've owned two CVAs and both of them were great rifles. I had their basic sidelock for a while and my wife bought me the Optima a couple of Christmases ago. The wolf is basically a budget Optima. CVA is a great company and their customer service is really good. I shot a deer with my Optima and was so excited when I climbed down in my climber I was a little higher than I thought, when I got out and fell about 4 feet. I broke the front sight off the gun and when I called CVA they were extreemly nice. They couldn't sent me a new sight free, because it was my fault, but they did sell me one at their cost of $5.00 for the whole set. They had the same sights on their website for $30.00. I would go for it.

Quote:
How hard is the Traditions to clean? I've assumed the break action type are easiest to clean.
The Break actions are extreemly easy to clean. It's just like cleaning a break action shotgun except you have to remove the breech plug. Use triple seven and it's real easy.

Last edited by Clayfish; August 22, 2006 at 12:16 PM. Reason: more info
Old August 22, 2006, 09:55 PM   #6
FirstFreedom

NN, The Traditions is not by any stretch HARD to clean. But it's not going to be as easy as a break open either. The bolt comes out easily on the Traditions, and the breech plug comes out very easily *once you get the removal wrench head up onto the breach plug & nipple assembly*. BUT, it's a bit tricky, and takes a good 30 seconds to a minute or more to maneuver the breech plug wrench head through the rear of the action, and over the bolt stop "nub", while holding the trigger back to release the nub, etc. So not really EASY, I wouldn't say. Once you get the breech plug out, it cleans like any bolt action rifle with the bolt removed.

Question: If the Wolf is a budget Optima, then what prevents you from adding the rifle barrels to it?
Old August 28, 2006, 09:57 AM   #7
Clayfish

Quote:
Question: If the Wolf is a budget Optima, then what prevents you from adding the rifle barrels to it?
I thought the same thing when I saw the Optima Elite advertised so I immedeatly went to the CVA website and saw that the new smokless barrels for the Optima Elite will not fit on the Optiam or the Optima pro. I guess the reciever has to be sold as a firearm through an FFL so due to law they has to make the barrels so they would only fit the Elite.

http://cva.com/products/rifle_optelite.htm