The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 9, 1999, 05:08 PM   #1
Ernest T. Bass

Lokking to buy an over/under shotgun for trap/skeet and bird hunting. Would welcome any suggestions on makes and models as my expierence with this type of shotgun is limited. Looking for opinions as to best price to quality guns, etc. At this point leaning toward a browning. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old October 10, 1999, 02:50 AM   #2
Sambonator

I have an old Browning Citori O/U I bought used for $375 about 10 yrs ago. I bought it from a retired LEO. He said he was getting too old to shoot skeet.
I got it "Pro Ported" and had the sights changed. Its not the prettiest gun out there, but it's been 100% reliable.
Get a progressive shotshell reloader, and you'll save a lotta money if you shoot a lot. Shotshell reloading is MUCH easier than handgun ammo reloading...which is MUCH easier than rifle ammo reloading!
Old October 10, 1999, 03:34 AM   #3
Espresso

Ernest T. Bass,

What price range are you looking at?
Old October 10, 1999, 06:49 AM   #4
Ernest T. Bass

Looking in a price range of $800-$1300.
Old October 11, 1999, 11:09 AM   #5
K80Geoff

Ernest T Bass, in the price range you indicated I would look for either a Browning Citori or a Beretta 686. Both guns are well made and a good value for the money. While they rarely break, if they do parts and gunsmiths to fix them are easy to find.

If you are not concerned with buying new, then you may find a good deal on a used Browning or Beretta, check the local Clays courses, often they have pro shops or bulletin boards with guns for sale. If you do buy used, have a gunsmith check out the gun before you close the deal.

I would stay away from the Remington and Ruger guns, and any make that is not common, the former because they are not made to the same standards as the B & B and the latter because if they break they may be difficult to get parts for or expensive to repair.

For general use look for 30" barrels with screw chokes, 28" may be good if you are small or have very short arms

Good Luck and good shooting!

Geoff Ross

------------------
Damn!...I need more practice!
Pi$$ off the left, register to vote.

[This message has been edited by K80Geoff (edited October 11, 1999).]
Old October 13, 1999, 07:44 AM   #6
trapper

I agree with the above post, go with a
Beretta or a Browning, they are both reliable
and parts are easy to get, keep there values
quite well if cared for. Go with the one
that fits you the best. Go to a shooting club
I am sure someone will let you shot there
shotguns and go with the one that suit's you
best.
Old October 13, 1999, 09:15 PM   #7
Espresso

The above suggestions are good. I have shot many different brands. For your intended uses I would lean toward the Berettas. The 686 is a great gun that can be adjusted for wear over the years by your smith. The Berettas are also slimmer and point and swing quicker than the Brownings for upland hunting. If you intend to use your O/U mostly for range work, then buy the Browning. Incidently I have both Brownings and Beretta shotguns and prefer my Berettas over the Brownings. I loan the Brownings out to guests.