The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Closed Thread

Old October 18, 1998, 12:25 AM   #1
Rob Pincus

Specifically, I am looking for someone to fabricate a barrel for an as yet undesigned round. It will be a necked down pistol case with a light small calibre rifle bullet. I am working with a reloader to develop the cartridge, then I can give you sample rounds and exact measurements. I would prefer a Glock barrel, most likely for a 35 or 20.
The calibre of the bullet will probably be .223 or .25, but could end up as small as .17
Old April 7, 2012, 12:36 PM   #2
captianpattson

It might be possible to take an AR barrel (for the .223) cut and mill off the chamber and rechamber it for your new round. Otherwise you might want to find a company that makes custom barrels and special order...
Old April 7, 2012, 12:54 PM   #3
mapsjanhere

Are you planing on lining an existing barrel, or do you want one build from scratch?
Old April 7, 2012, 01:02 PM   #4
hoytinak

It's been almost 14yrs.....hopefully he's got his barrel done by now.

Wonder if this is a record?
Old April 7, 2012, 05:13 PM   #5
mapsjanhere

Old April 7, 2012, 08:27 PM   #6
Hello123

Old April 15, 2012, 08:29 AM   #7
Don P

Quote:
It's been almost 14yrs.....hopefully he's got his barrel done by now.
Its called raising the dead
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old April 15, 2012, 09:53 AM   #8
F. Guffey

If it is possible to build 45 ACP with 5” and 6” etc., barrels it is possible to build a pistol in any caliber with a barrel of any length as long as barrel blanks are available, the same person that builds the long slide 45 ACPs also builds 38 Supers, not a problem but building one is more work/labor intensive than building 10, anyhow, yesterday he said he had three more projects for friends to finish and then he said he was through, he must have been talking about rifles.

No one is willing to pay the cost, or can afford to pay for building one, the answer is yes, there is someone that can build the pistol, yes it is possible, but no, it is not affordable. Then there is the other consideration, design function and limits, jacking up the load can result in rendering a slide type pistol scarp.

F. Guffey
Old April 15, 2012, 12:23 PM   #9
Mal H
Staff

I'm fairly certain Rob has the barrel problem solved by now, if he continued on with the project.

Closed.
Closed Thread