The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 13, 2021, 08:41 AM   #26
Jim Watson

A couple of us here bought ASM Schofields instead of Ubertis because of a favorable gunzine article.
It took three guns to get two that worked at all.
They shot far left on target. Gunsmith ran a range rod down the barrels and it would not go all the way, curved barrels.
We sent them back. After a while we heard that the importer had sent them back to Italy.
Eventually we got partial refunds, the wholesale price. Not a terrible loss, the local dealer had not marked them up much so we were only out about $20 each plus shipping two ways.
I put my refund into an ASM SAA which has been fine.

By the way, Bill, how is your ASM doing after five years?

Last edited by Jim Watson; April 13, 2021 at 08:49 AM.
Old April 13, 2021, 10:41 AM   #27
Bill Akins

Wow! Good info for me to file away in my mind about ASM Schofields Jim. Sounds like they had a bad production run on the barrels and by what happened to 44 AMP, the barrel latch and internals as well. I've owned several other ASM black powder revolvers in the past that I shot and had no problems with them. So maybe it was just the ASM cartridge using Schofields that had negative issues.

Oh, to answer your question about how my ASM .36 sheriff model is doing after five years, she's still an unfired (by me) safe queen. After the gold plating started flaking off the fluted cylinder of one of my 1860 nickeled Pietta .44's, I was afraid to shoot the ASM and am still waiting to find a stainless fluted cylinder for it like I bought for both my nickel Pietta .44's. Last time I checked, Cabela's where I bought my fluted stainless cylinders for my Pietta's, doesn't even have those anymore. So it was good that I got them when I did and they have worked great in shooting them. So far, I've been unsuccessful at finding fluted stainless cylinders for an open top colt clone .36 caliber. Might just have to settle for a fluted or solid blued one. But maybe not, I have my two white grips nickel .44 caliber 1860 Pietta's, my Uberti .44 caliber 1858 Remington, a long barrel Uberti carbine .44 caliber 1858 Remington and my CVA mountain rifle in .50 caliber. So I've got plenty of other black powder guns to shoot, so no hurry in finding a stainless cylinder for my .36 caliber ASM. Sometimes I take it out of the safe just to admire its engraved nickeled beauty. Like a piece of art. Know what I mean?
"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; April 13, 2021 at 10:57 AM.
Old April 13, 2021, 12:49 PM   #28
Jim Watson

No.