The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 19, 2020, 02:24 AM   #1
BJung

Pistols and holsters

Do any of you carry a handgun with you when hunting? If so, what kind of holster do you use and what type of pistol do you carry? Do you carry your handgun for only when hunting for certain game?
Old December 19, 2020, 06:49 AM   #2
mxsailor803

During deer season and any place I suspect hogs will be, I carry a Smith 629 with a RMR in a chest holster that my grandfather made back in the 80’s. I think about upgrading to a different holster at times but change my mind since he made the holster just after he had a stroke and loss the use of his left arm in the early 90’s.
Old December 19, 2020, 10:59 AM   #3
stinkeypete

Deer hunting I use a western style holster for my unscoped Blackhawk. It was made by the nice fellas that used to run sixguner.com

When I was using a scoped pistol (t/c Contender) those things can get huge so I used a “possibles bag” made from a MadDog insulated carry bag but I also used a side pack I used for school books. Advantage here is you can slide a side pack around to different locations as one sneaks through tight brush and various large pistols can be toted along with rubber gloves, towels, string, all that hunting stuff you might possibly need. (“Possibles” bag)

The insulated one was maybe someone’s idea of keeping adult beverages cold but I liked it because it could insulate my backside from cold or snowy ground when sitting in makeshift blinds, after removing contents.

When it’s not hunting season I throw a Ruger LCRX 3” (.38 special but this would be an adequate “finishing gun” too when long gun hunting.) in the pocket of my field jacket, it’s just the right size although I’d prefer a 4” barrel for extra sight radius.

I found a vintage hand carved and dyed western holster in a floral pattern on EBay for $16 that fits my Bearcat perfectly. That one is a real find, someone put a lot of effort in to that leather and I got it at such a price as the seller didn’t know what gun it was for. I took a chance, thinking it would fit my Lcrx but am pleased as punch it fits the heavier Bearcat.

Deer hunting, the Blackhawk is my primary.
If I was using my shotgun or 30-06 I might have carried in the past but now I’m old and keep the weight I carry to a minimum.
I used to carry a shotgun and a .22 pistol but then my puppy showed he’s relentless at finding, flushing and retrieving his bird while ignoring squirrels and rabbits and I would not confuse him by shooting one now when we are out together.

Of course follow all game and state laws regarding loaded weapons in bags or pockets. Time was, no one cared. Nowadays I prefer to appear as non-threatening as possible as I am hunting public lands and don’t want to upset anyone in the young families I sometimes cross paths with on the main trails. Pistol in the pocket... doesn’t upset anyone. A colorful dyed and carved floral patter holster is about as “non tactical” as you can get and if a chubby old man with an old fashioned rig like that spooks ya, well... my consideration for others does have limits.

One advantage of the possibles bag approach is it took me about 25 years to sample all the hunting handguns out there and settle on the few I like best and buying all those holsters would have been too painful to my wallet. Guns hold value, holsters don’t.
Old December 19, 2020, 01:43 PM   #4
big al hunter

For most of my hunting I carry an Uncle Mike's nylon holster. Sometimes strong side, sometimes cross draw. Depends on what type of hunting I am doing, archery or rifle. When I am handgun hunting it is usually a bandoliero. It holds my scoped revolver at my chest. With a backup iron sighted revolver on my strong side in a leather holster I made.

I have been looking for a leather rig for my scoped Super Redhawk. Just haven't found one I like enough to pull the trigger!
Old December 19, 2020, 02:44 PM   #5
jmr40

I don't handgun hunt, but very often carry a pistol for SD. I tend to hunt in some pretty remote locations on public land and wouldn't want to get back to my truck to find trouble only armed with a hunting rifle or shotgun.

Exactly which gun depends on my mood and where I'm hunting but it will either be a Glock or Smith M&P in 9mm, 10mm, or 45. I'm quite fond of the Phalanx holsters if carrying on my hip.

https://www.amazon.com/Stealth-Opera...s%2C182&sr=8-6

And sometimes one of these

https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Produ.../1/ProductID/5

Winston Churchill
Old December 19, 2020, 10:23 PM   #6
Steve in PA

I’ve been a dedicated handgun hunter for 20+ years.

For my scoped handguns; Ruger Super Redhawk and T/C Contenders, I use Uncle Mike’s Nylon Bandolier Holster.

My non-scoped handguns; Ruger Super Blackhawk and Blackhawk, I use Galco SAO leather holster. Can be worn strong side, or as I prefer, cross draw.
Old December 20, 2020, 07:26 AM   #7
std7mag

When i'm out setting up trail cameras, picking blueberries, raspberries, mushrooms i carry my 1911 in 45ACP loaded with 185gr Sierra TournamentMasters in a Desantis Yaqai slide holster. Same during bear season.

During archery my Walther PPS comes with me in a Blackhawk thumb break holster on the belt of my backpack.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old December 20, 2020, 11:12 AM   #8
GeauxTide

Anytime I'm in the woods, I have a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt or 44 Special in an El Paso Saddlery 1920 Crossdraw with snap. When I want something handier, I go to a 4" 657 in a Galco combo.
Old December 20, 2020, 11:34 AM   #9
jimbob86

There's a nylon Uncle Mikes holster on my hunting belt. I carry a .357 or .327 revolver in it until I've tagged out .... can't legally carry a centerfire handgun during firearm deer season without a tag in this state, so I replace it with a a .22 if I go out with the kids after I tag out.
Old December 21, 2020, 01:12 AM   #10
BJung

Why do some of you prefer nylon holsters over leather?
Old December 21, 2020, 01:38 AM   #11
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Haven't bought any in some time, but as I recall, nylon was cheaper than leather, at least new leather.
Old December 21, 2020, 10:31 AM   #12
kenny53

I like leather holsters for single action revolvers worn OWB. I don't hunt but still like going to the desert and will carry my guns then. I still have a CCW with me because you never know.
Old December 21, 2020, 11:18 AM   #13
Japle

When I hunt with revolvers, I just use the same holster I'd use for carry on the street.
Packing my DE .44 or .44 AutoMag, is more of a problem. I had a couple of cross-draw holsters made for them. I chose cross-draw because the guns are so big that it's hard to get them out of a strong-side belt holster and I hate thigh holsters.
Old December 21, 2020, 11:47 AM   #14
jimbob86

Quote:
For hunting, nylon is better than leather- I hunt in any weather. A soaking wet leather holster is not good for the gun , takes a long time to dry and swells when wet, shrinks when it dries ..... just not good.
Old December 21, 2020, 01:10 PM   #15
BJung

I've noticed that handguns are worn across the chest. This seems practical for larger revolvers.. since the weight is more evenly distributed. A light handgun like a BHP can go on the waist. I'd guess that a shoulder holster limits your freedom of arm movement, yes/no? But, if you handgun goes across your chest, where are your binoculars going?
Old December 21, 2020, 01:36 PM   #16
bamaranger

pistols

I quit carrying a "serious" handgun AND a long gun while hunting quite some time ago. That was just too much to carry for hunting things that didn't shoot back. Two kinds of ammo, and the bulk and weight of a chest rig or gunbelt and holster......I just don't want it along. What I have done while bowhunting (legal in AL) is to carry a Chief's .38 or a Ruger Bearcat in the front pocket of my big GI wool pants. I've been re-thinking that quite a bit lately, considering upgrading to more gun, but have not done so.

That practice leaves a serious question, am I willing to sally forth among the population upon returning to pavement after the hunt, with just the Chief or Bearcat? Neither are what I term ideal SD handguns, the Bearcat certainly so. And I'm opposed to leaving a serious handgun in the truck, unattended, even if secured. I don't have the answer to that one yet.
Old December 21, 2020, 01:42 PM   #17
bamaranger

Uncle Mikes

No doubt about it, the run of the mill nylon holsters, like the Sidekick are more affordable. I bought some when they first came out, but they did not hold up and I cannot recommend them. Biggest issue was that the plastic tab that the belt slots are cut into would tear or pull away from the holster itself if stressed much at all. The tab also seemed prone to get brittle and become very weak in the long run.
Old December 22, 2020, 10:23 PM   #18
big al hunter

Quote:
I'd guess that a shoulder holster limits your freedom of arm movement, yes/no? But, if you handgun goes across your chest, where are your binoculars going?
The holster doesn't limit arm movement. But it can get in the way of binoculars. A chest rig can be worn between the body and a binocular pouch. You draw from the side. With a bandolier the gun rides a little to the weak side, leaving room for binoculars in the middle. It took a few days to get used to it, but I don't feel it slows me down or gets in the way.

But the only way to know if you will like it is .....for you to wear one.
Old December 23, 2020, 10:38 AM   #19
jrothWA

Carried a RSS6 for regular deer season in Southern MI, when primary was a ML. an alternate was Colt CM.
Small game would have either a Woodsman Series 3 or J=frame in pocket
Old December 23, 2020, 07:14 PM   #20
doofus47

When I carried a Tokarev, I carried it in a leather holster with a flap.
I've carried a cz-100 and p99 in .40 and I carried each of those in a leather german gov't surplus hoster designed for a Sig P-6.
Those I carried on my belt.
I had a weird year where I put an XDS-9 on my pack belt. It worked ok, but I got rid of the pack and that system went away although I began to like the idea of easier access when packing.
Recently, because of a change in day pack, i've been carrying my P99 in a ppq kydex holster that fits perfectly on the belt of my pack.
Old December 26, 2020, 11:38 AM   #21
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger View Post
I quit carrying a "serious" handgun AND a long gun while hunting quite some time ago.
Me too. For almost two decades, I now only take a revolver with me when hunting deer. Chest rigs seem to work the best for me as they don't get hung up on the brush like hip rigs and they just work better with long piped hunting type revolvers. Especially when wearing cold weather clothes. The Big X-Frame....I use a sling. Most of the time while actively hunting the gun is in my hand(as when still hunting) or on the bench in front of me(when in the blind). Whether I hunt in the blind or stillhunting, if it is dark and outside of hunting hours, the gun is in my backpack.
Old December 26, 2020, 11:01 PM   #22
big al hunter

Quote:
if it is dark and outside of hunting hours, the gun is in my backpack
I have been followed by 1 too many cougars to put my handgun in my backpack. If you don't have big cats in your area, not an issue. Where I hunt, it is. I usually have a gun on my side when I am in the woods.

I know 4 other people that have been followed by a cat. 2 of them happened to see it parallel to them and the cat continued to follow when they changed course back to the truck (different people, same situation). 1 shot the cat and the other had a dog with him that kept the cat away. I won't be unarmed during the night hours that cougars typically stalk prey.

Just one reason to carry a handgun, I have more....
Old December 27, 2020, 12:09 AM   #23
jimbob86

Quote:
I have been followed by 1 too many cougars to put my handgun in my backpack. If you don't have big cats in your area, not an issue.
Nebraska Game and Parks insisted for many years that there were no mountain lions in SW Nebraska, despite many sightings ..... now they have a season on them ......
Old December 27, 2020, 12:45 AM   #24
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Packing my DE .44 or .44 AutoMag, is more of a problem. I had a couple of cross-draw holsters made for them.
Japle, look into the Bianchi X2100 "Phantom". I have one that while made for the long barrel S&W N frame, does well enough packing my Auto Mags and Desert Eagles. That is, if you find a shoulder holster acceptable...

I do need to warn you, wear one for a couple days and you'll walk with a "list to port" for a while.