The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 22, 2016, 06:05 PM   #1
dakota.potts

Springfield 1903 rebarrel

Contemplating building a Sporter 1903 or 1903A3 (from a stripped receiver or existing sporter, not an intact rifle) for a relative who expressed interest in a .30-06 with iron sights and a wood stock. I'm assuming that I can't get a hold of a donor rifle or action with a good condition barrel on it (which I doubt will happen) and will have to rebarrel it myself.

For those who have rebarreled them, what route have you taken? I could start from a blank like ER Shaw or even Douglas and get a pretty good quality barrel for the money, but there is a fairly extensive amount of machining involved. For not much more money, I could get either a NOS barrel or a new barrel from Criterion (or for a good bit more money, one from Krieger) which is short-chambered and finish chambering by hand. That process I haven't done before.

Looking for experiences from those who have tried it, as well as further reading resources before I get into the project which will probably be a month or two away
Old December 22, 2016, 08:47 PM   #2
Scorch

Weeeeeellll, if you have never rebarreled a Springfield, it can be a learning experience . . . But if you intend to really be a gunsmith, then buy a blank and get to it. It's a little different than say a Savage or a Remington, but it is not impossible.
Old December 23, 2016, 05:33 AM   #3
hooligan1

Cone Breach with an ejector Cut. Some Smith's specialize in this type of work while others do not I found.
I have a local Smith who didn't want any part of my 03a3 build because it would've taken too much time for set up and whatever else needed.
Those 03's are obtainable if your looking hard enough, I see them all the time.
I picked up an old Chinese Mauser with an old 03, 3006, 2 groove barrel on it, it shoots pretty decent for this combo...
Old December 23, 2016, 08:55 AM   #4
HiBC

If you are quite fortunate,you can freshen up a sporterized mil-surp that has already been altered in the days of cheap and plentiful Springfields.

If you do come up with a Spingfield receiver,I'm quite happy with the Criterion direct replacement barrel I put on mine.
These barrels are supposed to be drop in.They havethesight key,index mark,threads,etc,all done.I forget if they are short chambered.
Criterion is connected to Kreiger,business wise.These are NOT Kreiger cut rifled barrels.They are button rifled at another facility,but they are not hacks.
They are original contour and parkerized.
I made a 1903A4 copy on an AIM Surplus receiver.These all had a tack weld at 6 oclock to make it hard to take the barrel out.This leaves a bit of sink.
I bought the Brownells mandrel to face a skinny cut to true the receiver.
Once I did that,it had an effect on the indexing.I had to set the bbl back a thread and recut the chamber.
It shoots good now.
I understand a love of the Springfield. Yourchoice of action does not need justification.I get it.I doubt you will save any money.
If we are talking practical...generally,if there is a way to make the receiver a "remilitarized" 03 or 03A3,that makes the most sense.
But,a classicSpringfield Sporter is a delight..whether G+H style,Sedgley style,or NRA style..

If the goal is a good,solid 30-06 hunting rifle,there are a lot of them in the world.
Mark 10s,Huskys,FN's(like JC Higgins),Win M-70's.
ETC.

Build for your own reasons,but going to gun shops,gun shows,pawn shops,etc can be an interesting search.

You might even come up with a sporter Springfield.!!!(that has a good barrel)

Update to Mobuck: The Criterion would have torqued up to align the index mark,sight,etc had I not trued the receiver face.

Last edited by HiBC; December 23, 2016 at 12:55 PM.
Old December 23, 2016, 09:21 AM   #5
Mobuck

The last 03 "re-barrel" I did using a new surplus barrel required only removal of the worn barrel and screwing the new barrel in place. I found the military replacement barrel was cut and chambered to headspace good enough when clocked to fit the extractor cut and front sight alignment.
Old December 23, 2016, 05:52 PM   #6
Gunplummer

I have used '03 barrels on other projects and they shot OK. You used to see them at shows all the time. I would not waste a lot of money on a barrel blank if it is going to be an open sight shooter anyway.
Old December 23, 2016, 07:32 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

He didn't say if they were open or not. Just that they were iron. Might be a peep sight, for example. Generations of target shooters have used those to good effect.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 24, 2016, 01:10 AM   #8
dakota.potts

I'm not entirely decided yet on the style of iron sight. I'm thinking a 1903A3 rear sight. For the front sight, I have a thought to see if I can get a hooded front sight profile similar to an M14 or Garand or perhaps a front sight from another bolt action battle rifle. Failing that, it would probably either be a standard 1903 front sight or a globe sight of a suitable thickness. I got a chance to look at some with Lyman rear peep sights and different aftermarket bead front sights, which were so small they disappeared easily and were hard to track.

The intended recipient of the gun is rather more nostalgic about the "essence" of a gun looking nice, shouldering well and firing a classic cartridge (like the .30-06) than about whether it shoots MOA or sub-MOA groups. He likes traditional and military patterned rifles and sights and is more likely to be shooting man sized sillhouettes and large pistol bulls at 25-100 yards with it than any kind of benchrest group shooting. That's not an excuse to be lazy with the quality of work, but rather to say that certain design choices might be made to please the future owner of the gun rather than for maximum use of a target rifle.

Still haven't made a solid decision between a barrel blank and a short chambered, completed barrel. They would be very close in cost. The short chambered barrel leaves much less to screw up and leaves me more time for other projects. Making it from a blank would be a good learning experience as noted