The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 19, 2016, 10:38 AM   #26
ocharry

ok ,,,i dont like buying problems,,,,but i dont like seeing my fellow shooters with headaches either,,,,,

SO

how much you want for this problem child???

its cold here and i need a project

ocharry
Old December 24, 2016, 11:43 AM   #27
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocharry View Post
ok ,,,i dont like buying problems,,,,but i dont like seeing my fellow shooters with headaches either,,,,,

SO

how much you want for this problem child???

its cold here and i need a project

ocharry

I appreciate the offer, but I think we got the issue solved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 24, 2016, 11:50 AM   #28
stonewall50

Update:

Test:

Took an older model 26 inch barrel 870 3 and 2 3/4 inch express magnum (made in 90s) and swapped the barrels out. We used cheap game load 2 3/4 shells. It shot them fine out of the 26 inch barrel. The other barrel worked fine out of the older 870. No hang ups after barrel swap. 2 different shell types (cheap Winchester and a target load from a skeet range).

We switched the barrels back to attempt to replicate the issue I have been having. 0 problems. No hang ups. Literally fired the "broken" 870 as fast as any who could slam fire. So problem is not replicated.

Our diagnosis: I polished the chamber prior. I used cheap shells. Seems to be that the chamber, not the extractor, was the issue. It would make sense in humid Florida. Even if I don't shoot it often, humidity and rust are a fact of life. Add in that it is infrequently fired, with expensive turkey rounds, it makes sense I would have noticed the issue.

I am going to attempt to replicate the issue, but if it IS what I suspect...it will be the chamber.

Thanks guys. You really helped me out.

Old December 24, 2016, 05:10 PM   #29
michaeldarnold

I wonder if this issue is only limited to the right hand 870s. I'm a lefty and my 870 is also. I've never had a problem with it but it was given to me new about 10 years ago so it may not have been subject too the quality issues anyway.

I curious if the lefty models get more attention to them as the runs are usually limited.

Mike in STL
Old December 24, 2016, 07:18 PM   #30
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldarnold View Post
I wonder if this issue is only limited to the right hand 870s. I'm a lefty and my 870 is also. I've never had a problem with it but it was given to me new about 10 years ago so it may not have been subject too the quality issues anyway.

I curious if the lefty models get more attention to them as the runs are usually limited.

Mike in STL

That's a good point. Mine is about the same age too. But I'm really thinking the issue was just quality control on the barre/chamber and the polishing really solved it

Old June 25, 2017, 10:37 PM   #31
stonewall50

Based on some of the statements here and some of the extra reading...I am bumping this thread to provide a "solved" in this. I'm fairly certain (and will be replacing these parts as my wallet allows)...the Mim extractor for a non Mim extractor. And the carrier dog spring. Basic parts. And I'm betting that they will improve the guns problems.