The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 14, 2017, 04:36 PM   #26
natman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hill View Post
I don’t think that a lighter hunting rifle and a 1000 yard bench rifle mix very well. I think you’ll need 2 separate rifles.
+1

What the OP is asking for is like asking for a race car that turns sub ten second 1/4 miles, corners at over 1 G but is street legal, gives 40 mpg and a smooth ride. Any attempt at trying to compromise enough to achieve both goals will result in a rifle that's no good at either.

Buy a Kimber Hunter/Montana in 6.5 Creedmore. Put a 2x-7 Leupold on it and you'll have a 6 lb hunting rifle. Buy a heavy barreled 6.5 Creedmore and a high power scope for long range shooting.
Old December 14, 2017, 05:03 PM   #27
std7mag

Wow!! You just described my wife's Mini Cooper S...
Old December 17, 2017, 09:32 AM   #28
m&p45acp10+1

All of those that keep saying a sporter barreled rifle will not be able to make long range hits must have never tired to use one for that. Snipers used them for a few decades to make repeatable hits at distances that seem to defy the abilities of us mere mortals. Many preferred the sporter barreled rifles as they had to carry them for miles and miles through what most of times is quite inhospitable terrain, and in horridly hot, and humid weather.

It is not that it can not be done. It is not super hard to do. It does involve being able to wait a while between shots to let the barrel cool down. I have an old Remington 700 in .243 Win. It has a custom barrel on it. (I think it is Walther it could be something else. It was bought used, and the owner said he paid more for the barrel than he did for the rifle.This was in 1982 when I was a wee lad, and Dad bought me my first hunting rifle.) It is a sporter barrel. It will give under 1/2 MOA with store bought CoreLokt. My grandfather took me to the Ft. Hood range for us to sight it in, and see what the little rifle could do. He was making 500 yard hits on an 20 inch steel gong with every shot. My family fights over who gets the deer killer first every season. I have never reloaded for that rifle. Grampa bought 2 cases of the CoreLokt it shot so well. Still have a case of it left. It has not been used on a target other than to confirm zero in the past 35 years.
Old December 17, 2017, 03:39 PM   #29
pete2

Apples and oranges. You need 2 rifles.
Old December 17, 2017, 05:20 PM   #30
thallub

Quote:
Made the mistake of a 4x12 and 6.5x20 hunting under a hundred yards this year. Couldn't begin to find the deer quick enough.
Yep, lots of hunters have their scopes set on maximum power. That don't work so well when old mossy horns shows himself at 25 yards. 4X is suitable for shots to at least 300 yards.
Old December 18, 2017, 06:21 AM   #31
std7mag

www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of-week/gunweek064

Apples and oranges made into one delicious fruit salad.
No 2 guns needed.
Old December 18, 2017, 06:57 AM   #32
stagpanther

Quote:
Apples and oranges made into one delicious fruit salad.
No 2 guns needed.
Any time I see a cartridge with "WSM" or "WSSM" in it's name--I know I'm going to be spending time on my knees with the nose in the leaves looking for brass.
Old December 18, 2017, 04:23 PM   #33
std7mag

Lol

Same if it says Weatherby, or SAUM..
Old December 23, 2017, 07:44 AM   #34
Wendyj

I have looked since first post and am settling in on a Tikka t3x chambered in 260 since I already reload for it. 260 brass not cheap but I have 2-300 left and can always resize 243 up which I did in the ctr. Light enough to hunt and I don’t mind waiting for barrel to cool to shoot longer ranges at the bench. I’m hooked on the Hornady 143 eldx bullets and H4350 powder using br2 primers. That will take care of me here. The Nosler 130 accubond should handle my black bear hunts so this or a Savage with Accustock are about the only options I have left
Old December 23, 2017, 11:54 AM   #35
Wendyj

Well that changed quick. The 260s are all gone so I went with the Tikka T3x in a 7-08. Now to start loading bullets.
Old December 24, 2017, 04:45 PM   #36
std7mag

Wish i had a Tikka action. Still one of the smoothest i've ever handled.